Beware of the Band!

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cwoods
500 Club

Beware of the Band!

Unread postby cwoods » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:30 am

Just wanted to throw this out there. I know many of you guys are know this but this is just a reminder to for all of us about the "risk" of wearing a wedding band. Im a blue collar guy myself and know alot of guys who dont wear theirs while working and what not. I now will be one of those guys after this and will not wear one while out in the woods this hunting season.

I just got some new lone wolf climbing sticks (Which are GREAT!) I was practicing putting them up in my backyard and they do go up quickly and easily IMO. I will try them in the dark w/ a headlamp in the nights to come to see how putting them up in the dark will be (not as quick im sure). Anyway as i was coming down i was pretty much at the bottom w/ one step to go and i decide to hop off the sticks when my ring caught the lip on step on the
stick. Ring pulled up about 1/2" of skin as it sliced into my first knuckle. No nerves or tendons were damanged and in NOWAY am I blaming Lone Wolf for this. All me, all an accident. Just wanted to throw this out there for the rest of the Beast members and to all hunters. Would have hated to been back a mile or so in the woods and this happen. Ill start carrying some minor first aid items in my pack from now on b/c you never know. Always better to be prepaired. Im sure the western guys already know this and practice this but this was a valuable lesson learned from an eastern whitetail hunter. Come Nov I'll probaly have gloves on and it wouldnt be as much of a concern but during early season the ring will stay at home......as soon as the swelling gose down and i can get it off! :mrgreen:

cwoods
500 Club

Re: Beware of the Band!

Unread postby cwoods » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:34 am

here's a pic :D
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:38 am

Ouch... Good advice. Necklaces can double as nooses too ;)
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:49 am

A young man I know just got a promise ring and I was warning him about the dangers of working or hunting with it on. I mentioned about a guy who did just what you did only with screw in steps.

To get the ring off pass a piece of dental floss thru the ring and wrap it tightly around your finger toward the tip. Then start pulling and unwrapping and it will wind the ring right off. Lube the floss well.
ramblinman

Unread postby ramblinman » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:09 am

ouch good post though!!!
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:22 pm

OUCH!
I've actually had my ring get stuck while descending too; many times; but nothing like that. I may just ditch the ring for the season.
Pretty much wore mine for the last 23 years w/o taking it off. Few months ago I was spraying some lawn weeds w/ the hudson and between pumping and stray chemical my ring finger swelled up so I couldn't remove my ring. Had to leave it off for about a month. I might just leave it off for deer season after seeing that.
Thanks for the heads up. That could easily be me.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:31 pm

Excellent reminder, cwoods- sorry it happened to you though!

I'm also glad the necklaces and screw in steps were brought up. I used to work with a guy (he moved to Wisconsin) that slipped and fell while climbing and hit one of his screw in steps hard. It layed him open on one side from the mid-abdominal area to the armpit, right down to the bone. Countless stitches/staples and pain. :?
WashingtonCoWiHunter

Unread postby WashingtonCoWiHunter » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:29 pm

I feel you pain man :lol: , same exact thing happened to me 2 weeks ago! I was coming down from my LW sticks and I was on the last step, hopped off...and my wedding ring snagged on the step I was holding on to. Our cuts look identical. Just got my ring back on my left hand a few days ago after the cut and the swelling healed.

Good post, definatly something to think about
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:40 pm

WashingtonCoWiHunter wrote:I feel you pain man :lol: , same exact thing happened to me 2 weeks ago! I was coming down from my LW sticks and I was on the last step, hopped off...and my wedding ring snagged on the step I was holding on to. Our cuts look identical. Just got my ring back on my left hand a few days ago after the cut and the swelling healed.

Good post, definatly something to think about

Well atleast Im not the only one. Could have been much worst I suppose.

On another note Im really loving the sticks! I got a set of four and even w/ the ganked finger I can put them up and take them down quickly. Wish I would have thought of it.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:46 pm

I'm also glad the necklaces and screw in steps were brought up. I used to work with a guy (he moved to Wisconsin) that slipped and fell while climbing and hit one of his screw in steps hard. It layed him open on one side from the mid-abdominal area to the armpit, right down to the bone. Countless stitches/staples and pain. :?[/quote]

I thought about that "what if" while using the screw in steps. A little freezing rain on those steps w/ a slick tree and....ouch! Glad I finally broke down and spent the coin on the LW climbing sticks. I know I got injured while using them but compared to your friend I came out golden.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:02 am

ttt
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:40 pm

Ouch ,hope you healed up. My dad,s friend was jumping off the side of his semi trailer ,ring caught the sidebox and PLUCK , there goes the finger.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:52 pm

A local propane truck driver (a little heavyset) jumped out of the truck and popped his ring finger off like the kids would pop a daisy head off. They couldnt put it back on. Well at least this way you FOR SURE wont torque your bow this year :D
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:02 am

my band is coming off when I bear hunt next week! great reminder for this forgetful hunter, I should add this to my hunting equipment list as a reminder...
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:27 pm

I've known people too that almost tore off their finger because of their ring catching.

I couldnt get my ring off so I cut it off with a dremel tool. Now the ring has an 1/8 inch gap in it. Now, if mine catches on something it just bends and gets pulled off. Soft gold is one thing but I know people who think a titanium ring is really cool and I tell them, just wait until you need to cut it off!

• Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”