Ducks wising up?

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Ducks wising up?

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:49 am

We hunted a particular point a total of three times on a decent sized slough over the past week and a half. The woodies (hundreds) appear to roost on the slough but up a good 1/4 to 3/4 mile up from us. First time the first light "flurry" of hundreds lasted until about 7:40am, and a few ducks every 15-20 minutes would be seen randomly after that.

Two days ago, the flurry started right at shooting light and lasted until 7:25am, and we got our limit.

This morning, the flurry started 8 minutes before shooting light. We had dozens of ducks within range, many 10 yards over our heads, counting down the minutes until "legal" light, though we could have easily shot. Once that final watch tick passed and we got ready, it stopped. We only saw a few groups flying out of range and it was completely done by 7:00am. No shots fired. Oddly enough, there weren't even any loners flying around randomly throughout the morning. It was dead. Finally at 11:00am we had a lone mallard drake fly past and got him, but that was it.

So, are the local ducks wising up and leaving the roost early? Or does weather have a lot to do with it? Last two times out, winds were forcasted to be 15-20 throughout the night and through the day (even though it's always somewhat calm at first light). Today the wind was basically calm and skies were clear despite the forcasted rain.

Brandon
500 Club

Re: Ducks wising up?

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:34 am

3 days out of 10 days is SERIOUS pressure on ducks!

they are on to you...
You can't kill em on the couch
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:04 am

On a small private farm I hunt there is a swamp with standing water in the middle of the property. Its one of the best buck bedding areas around so we leave it alone. It is so full of ducks and geese its just rediculas. From one of my stand positions this year I could see thousands of ducks of every kind imaginable. The quacking and honking is so loud you can't hear deer coming.
I was telling dave if we shoot a buck and have to retrieve it from the bedding area lets go in there the next morning and blast the heck out of the ducks. It would likely take about 10 minutes to limit out 6 guys.
Its like that most of the year, but right now while pressure is on all the other spots around it is extremly packed.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:18 am

Thats a great tip Dan.
Most of my deer spots have that involved...
My avatar was a ducking hunting trip... with a surprise.
You can't kill em on the couch
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:03 pm

So it sounds like the best bet is to try new water where they've hopefully been less pressured.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:33 pm

Sounds like they are on to you, I agree with Brandon.

Maybe an evening hunt if you have only hunted mornings so far......
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”