2011 Early Goose Season WI

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

2011 Early Goose Season WI

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:07 pm

Anyone heading out in the morning? I sold all my goose hunting stuff last year after I shot my first few geese and decided they taste like crap. Got the invite to tag along with some buddies though so I'll be getting up in less than 5hrs to ring in the fall hunting season in WI on the river chasing those geese! Anyone else heading out? Its supposed to be ungodly hot here, in the 90's, so we are heading to the water in hopes of having some success. Good luck and welcome 2011 fall hunting seasons!

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: 2011 Early Goose Season WI

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:15 am

I quit hunting waterfowl years ago too, for the same reason, just couldn't stand to eat them. I did see alot of trucks parked in the fields this morning. We've got alot of local geese around here. Good luck!
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:53 am

No dice. We hit the water this morning. We were leaving the launch an hour before legal shooting. My buddy who scouted said the birds are all over there midday so we should be good to go. As we ease into shore over the hummm of the motor we hear wingbeats and honking and see the silhouettes of atleast a few dozen birds taking off into the darkness. We had one loner come in that rob shot at and missed as it was flaring off (way too far of a shot). Other than that no birds for us and the other two guys had to be back to class by 9am. Was a short morning on the water but felt good shaking the rust off. I may put in my boat this afternoon and cruise the river looking for birds and duck spots not sure yet. I'm gonna stick old mossy horns opening weekend of bow season so I need to have a plan in effect for the rest of my fall hunting season ;)

No other shooting or hunters around us and no boats at the launch, wonder if the forecasted temps in the 90's are keeping some guys at home?
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:15 am

i goose hunted once and froze my off :cry: i would rather be in a stand 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:37 am

You woulda drowned in your own sweat today it was HOT. I tripped and went for a swim filling my waders up with water and I got a mouthful pretty nasty but refreshing. I'm not much of a late season waterfowl hunter, its kind of like turkey hunting for me it fills the gaps when I'd rather be bowhunting 8-)
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:45 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:You woulda drowned in your own sweat today it was HOT. I tripped and went for a swim filling my waders up with water and I got a mouthful pretty nasty but refreshing. I'm not much of a late season waterfowl hunter, its kind of like turkey hunting for me it fills the gaps when I'd rather be bowhunting 8-)

i hear ya....
most of my money goes to bowhunting any way so theres no room for waterfowl crap
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:49 am

oo ya it was 120 in the shop to day so i think i didnt miss out on sweating :roll:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:55 pm

NY opened today- bout 90 degrees.....cut barley is the ticket...may get out this weekend- 8 per hunter per shoot here...such a busy time of year...

One year between 5 of us we shot 236- and ate almost everyone of them.......honestly prefer them to most red meat.....it is all in prep pm me for some good recipes
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:19 pm

Headed out this weekend. Prepped correctly, they are great to eat. Similar to wild turkey.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:01 am

Early season closes today. Hunted a few times. We only got 1 bird. The guy I was with shot a few more when I wasn't along. All hunting was done over water it was HOT and very little bird movement. Rob has a 7month old yellow lab, Drake, who is just learning about waterfowl hunting. Made his second retrieve ever on sunday. Made it most of the way before tiring out notice the goose is a big as he is!

Opening morning view from the blind

Drake heading out to retrieve the goose.

Drake kicking some azz

Drake winning!

Drake, Rob and the goose
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:04 am

Cool pics backwoods. My brother has been out alot , I talked to him yesterday and he said they got 75. He also told me he hunted with Packers linebacker Frank Zombo several times.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:35 am

I use to do a lot of duck/goose hunting, tons of fun but ya they are not great eating. I do think goose can be decent if you cook it right. I have also started to like smoked duck, not great but far from terrible. Once I became obsessed with bowhunting I packed all my waterfowl stuff away, when my boy gets a little older I think I till pick it up again. I think its good to give the young ones a good mix of the outdoors.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:48 am

I have only hunted waterfowl a few times and had a blast every time. It usually conflicts with bow season and well Id rather be bow hunting. Its a great social event, as you can talk and move around till you see/hear birds. I took my son when he was 4, we were hunting a cut wheat field. We didnt have any come in, but he had fun trying to find the pack of donuts I hid under one of about 25 shell goose decoys. Luckily I remembered where they were, cause he couldnt find em. :lol: As for the early season, if you have birds patterned, it can be some super shooting. Some day Id like to give it a whirl with my longbow.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”