First hunt with the pup

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigburner

First hunt with the pup

Unread postby Bigburner » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:15 am

Pretty stoked yesterday. Took the pup out to try and shag some woodcock and had some success. She’s been out in the woods plenty but learning to work that cover was a little foreign to her. She flushed one bird and didn’t really know what happened but luckily they don’t fly too far in most cases. My main goal was to get one under her nose and figure out what she was looking for. We eventually worked some more cover and I started hitting good amounts of chalk and a bird picked up. I shot and missed and walked to where it set down and it flushed again and it took me two shots but I dropped it in the water. The dog started pointing at the unfamiliar smell and didn’t realize the bird was right at her feet. She picked the bird up and started tossing it around so a good start. She definitely had a little epiphany as far as getting into the game. You gotta get them into birds but so far so good on the beginning of her rookie season. My last gsp passed about 3 years ago now and it was the first time in the woods with a dog since and I was really glad to be able to experience that again.

Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Jackson Marsh

Re: First hunt with the pup

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:45 am

Awesome hunt Bigburner. Great looking dog. If I ever get back into bird hunting I'll probably get a GSP. Great looking dogs and great on birds.

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”