wheat feild goose hunting

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ziehunter

wheat feild goose hunting

Unread postby Ziehunter » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:01 am

hey all, I am new to this site and just want to say that any comments are much appreciated. I have recently acquired permission to hunt on a wheat field that was cut two weeks ago it is about ankle high stuble, there are about 150 :L: or so geese hitting the field around 630 is when they fly in, hoping to get out there after football practice. was wondering what the best way to hide in this may be I plan two hunt with four guys we only have two lay out blinds and one goose chair that you sit in but does not have the skirt to cover your lower half. any suggestions would be great!!!.
thanks>

Wlog
500 Club

Re: wheat feild goose hunting

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:24 am

Welcome to the Beast! Wheat stubble is hard to hide in no matter what. I've had pretty good success taking a shovel and digging out about 4" to lay down in. The layout blinds stick out too much. I'm assuming you're hunting resident geese. You have to hide even more so than with migrant geese because they use the same fields and fly over the same areas every day.

No harm to the field by digging a little hole as long as you fill it back in. All you're doing is flipping over the topsoil. I have everyone lay in their little trench and cover up with whatever straw is left in the field.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
pitz0022

Unread postby pitz0022 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:48 am

I made a blind for the layout boat I built out of green plastic garden fence (chicken wire) , zip ties and grass. I bet you could do a modified version of this. If the garden fence would stick out too much, go to the fabric store and get some fabric that matches the ground color and attach some wheat to it and then lay under it or make a sort of sleeping bag out of it.

You can get the cut look by folding a small bunch of grass in half and cutting with a scissors to get the cut look. You could even do it in rows and line them up with the rows in the field. Here is a pic of the boat with the camo on it if it helps visualize. You can also see an extra piece of the chicken wire I'm using as a fence so I can throw decoys on the bow of the boat.

Ziehunter

Unread postby Ziehunter » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:05 am

that is a sweet looking setup, and a really good idea. and yes to hunting local geese they seem to be bunching up a little more here in Wisconsin. thanks for your input
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:59 am

when I used to goose hunt I would just lay right down on the ground and put a wheat camo burlap blanket over me then put some wheat stalks on top off the blanket.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:25 am

john1984 wrote:when I used to goose hunt I would just lay right down on the ground and put a wheat camo burlap blanket over me then put some wheat stalks on top off the blanket.

Me & my dad gained access to a cut wheat field last season. We first tryed our layout blinds but couldn't get birds to decoy so we too used brown burlap tote bags that we snagged from the local grain elevator. They were big enough to cover your entire body, we just cut them along one side like a sleeping bag so u could conceal your whole body and gun but then flip the top portion off when the birds come in. We had large groups of residents flying over all day, usually 2 or 3 small groups would break off and try landing right on us

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:45 am

my Dad and I used to put super mag shell decoys on top of us... just out head and legs sticking out from the knee down. It worked pretty good.

with permission you could always dig a pit. lots of work but awesome once its there
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:49 pm

2nd the burlap bags and lay down, also the tip about a decoy on top of you also works great.
Ziehunter

Unread postby Ziehunter » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:34 am

thanks for the input! means a lot. went out this morning before school with three of my buddies and we got our limit of 20, ended up digging down in the dirt and hiding under some burlap with a couple decoys around us.

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”