Smoked Wild Turkey Breast

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Redman232

Smoked Wild Turkey Breast

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:04 am

This probably belongs in the recipe section but I imagine it will get more traffic here. My previous experience with wild turkey breast, 1. really hard to keep moist 2. really hard to get tender.

Until now.

I placed one wild turkey breast in a one gallon bag, I took a can of beans and pounded the breast out to between 1 and 1.5 inch thick. I then place the turkey breast in a large bowl(larger pot would work). Add about a gallon of water, 1/2 cup of salt, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1 garlic clove (crushed), 1 whole onion and 1 teaspoon of black pepper. Let it rest in the refrigerator for 24 hrs. Next day, remove turkey breast from the salt brine, pat dry with paper towel and mix a dry rub (varying amounts of brown sugar, cayenne pepper powder, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and dried oregano, depending on what you like the best). Don't skimp on the dry rub, make sure you coat the breast thoroughly.

Prepare charcoal grill(put charcoal on one side and the breast on the other) or smoker, add hickory chips, 225 degrees for approximately 1.5 hrs, or until internal temp is 170 to 180 degrees (doesn't take very long since the breast has been thinned out).

All I can say is, stupid good, seriously restaurant quality stuff.

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”