WI early teal season

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

john1984

WI early teal season

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:40 pm

Wow, WI is going to have an early teal season the first week of Sept starting this year. I sure wish they had that season when I used to duck hunt. Are any of you going to give this new duck season a try? I bet there will be other species of ducks that will get shot at. I wonder if this new early teal season will effect opening weekend of the regular duck season.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

solocam88
500 Club

Re: WI early teal season

Unread postby solocam88 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:38 pm

This is yet another terrible idea by our DNR.

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:19 pm

solocam88 wrote:This is yet another terrible idea by our DNR.

why?
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:53 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:
solocam88 wrote:This is yet another terrible idea by our DNR.

why?

Yea why?

We have an early Teal season in mid September here. It's only a weekend tho. Great first hunt of the season for ducks.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:56 pm

There is a good chance I'll give it a chance. A lot of my bavkwater spots clear out of teal quick, sometimes before the season.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:27 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:There is a good chance I'll give it a chance. A lot of my bavkwater spots clear out of teal quick, sometimes before the season.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Same here
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:24 am

The local duck numbers are low in WI as it is. Why pound the local teal off and bugger everything around before the actual season even starts?. Wi is not like other states where there are huge flocks of local teal. (There used to be 15 years ago) opening weekend is a sky busting joke and so will this early teal season.

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:20 am

When does your season start? I hadn't thought about that. For us, early woody & teal is Sept 17 thru the 21st (not a weekend but 5 days). Our regular season doesn't start until Thanksgiving day, which is a little over 2 months away.
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:23 am

This is no good! I have a feeling this is going to drive a lot of local mallards and more desirable ducks away before the real season.
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:52 am

teal are the first to leave so it will give hunters a chance at shooting some. I won't judge till after the season. it may not be all that bad. we'll see.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:14 am

Southern Man wrote:When does your season start? I hadn't thought about that. For us, early woody & teal is Sept 17 thru the 21st (not a weekend but 5 days). Our regular season doesn't start until Thanksgiving day, which is a little over 2 months away.

Northern WI regular season starts the 3rd Saturday in Sept I think, and the southern half of WI starts the Saturday closest to Oct 1st, the early teal season is sept 1st -7th

solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:15 am

john1984 wrote:
Southern Man wrote:When does your season start? I hadn't thought about that. For us, early woody & teal is Sept 17 thru the 21st (not a weekend but 5 days). Our regular season doesn't start until Thanksgiving day, which is a little over 2 months away.

Northern WI regular season starts the 3rd Saturday in Sept I think, and the southern half of WI starts the Saturday closest to Oct 1st, the early teal season is sept 1st -7th

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image[/

And the youth duck hunt is mid September

goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:04 pm

john1984 wrote:Wow, WI is going to have an early teal season the first week of Sept starting this year. I sure wish they had that season when I used to duck hunt. Are any of you going to give this new duck season a try? I bet there will be other species of ducks that will get shot at. I wonder if this new early teal season will effect opening weekend of the regular duck season.

No I wont be trying it temps can still reach mid 80s -90 no thanks.Yes other duck species will get shot.Yes it will effect the regular season opener most spots are only good opening day after that they relocate opening it Sept1st will cause all species of ducks to relocate.
crappieangler

Unread postby crappieangler » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:26 pm

I'm from Iowa and mainly waterfowl hunt all fall/winter. This year will be our first early teal season as well. Lot of the bluewings migrate early, starting in August. We get a crack at them sometimes in September and sometimes there's not many around. It's an extra 15 days of hunting, that doesn't impact the other days of the regular season so I'm glad we get the new opportunity. I'm not sure about WI, but it's only a 3 year trial to decide whether or not we'll keep the season in Iowa. I've traveled to hunt sept teal seasons in other states, and what I've noticed is the birds don't push out (mainly woodies) from the teal season. Last fall I hunted the Miss in Sept and on the regular Illinois opener they still decoyed like champs, probably b/c they weren't getting shot at all teal season. As long as people can follow the rules and ID ducks (which waterfowlers should be able to do) the resident birds should stick around. Just be careful of those young hen woodies and remember shooting time is at sunrise not half hour before so you can properly id birds.

Good luck, and hope you all have a safe and successful season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”