What semi auto shotgun?

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

live2hunt

What semi auto shotgun?

Unread postby live2hunt » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:24 pm

This is my first year waterfowl hunting. I figured I need to join the crowd and get a semi auto shotgun. What gun do you use or recomend? I am leaning towards a winchester just becauase I have a winchester pump that I love, but want to hear what you recomend.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: What semi auto shotgun?

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:28 pm

I have winchester super x3. Never have a problem with it rain, snow, or shine. Fit is more important than brand.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:55 pm

I'll second the sx3. I love mine.

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:16 am

I'm a Remington guy normally, but I've been looking at a Stoeger for my wife. My son had one a few years back and it was a good gun for a good price. Owned by Benelli. I priced one last weekend 12 ga auto, camo for $549. He said he sells them as fast as he can get them. He won't have anymore until early December. I may just buy one.

I never have had any experience with Winchester, except a small lever gun 30-30.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:21 am

Benelli

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:25 am

I have a Super Black Eagle 2 and think it's better than sliced bread

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:39 pm

solocam88 wrote:Benelli

X2. Fine shotgun.
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:05 pm

I apologize in adavance for long response, but this is someting I have alot of experience in.

Benelli or the stoeger which is basically the same thing but less expensive

From 96-2006 my waterfowl partner and I hunted days per week of the waterfowl season..muddy fields, frozen fields, layout boat with ice bergs bobbing around,,,knocking around while I paddled a scull boat in Lake St. Clair..breaking ice on the way out and way in,I treated my super black eagle pretty uggh poorly I typically tossed it wherever I needed it (literally), never,, ever had a fail to fire, I've only witnessed or heard of one failure see next para....I have had to beat the frozen action open,,learned to just shoot it, it will spit it and I don't mar the bolt all up with a frozen branch or paddle
Cant say that about the SP10, light 10, SX3 or any remington 12 semi,, those are all good guns,,

My father is the only person I know that could force a benelli to fail..serious upland hunter..I got him the fancy first gen supersport in the late 90's...he griped bout wanting an o/u..Fell in love with it quickly,,,One north dakota trip he left his beloved pointers to join me for some mallard shooting..I'll be danged if he didn't get a sluggish ejection,(still shot though). I inspected gun back at camp..The recoil spring and bolt rod were wrapped in sawgrass and twigs...I mean it was packed in there.I asked him the last time he fully dissasembled it and cleaned it..Never,,only snaked the barrel..that was 2006..He never cleaned the action in nearly 10 years had shot over 1000 rounds and dragged it through grouse and pheasant grounds dozens of days per year...installed a sealed sureshot spring kit,,I doubt he has cleaned it since.
He paid real big bucks and got a fitted guerinni o.u a few years ago..shoots it good too.Almost everytime we go out without copmany, that benelli is in his hands...

Dont worry bout getting the sbe/stoeger 3.5",,the bore is tight for a 12 and they don't shoot 3.5 real well..Anyone that "needs" 3.5 needs to learn how to shoot.
By an M1 or equivilant, load it with kent fasteel, pull the trigger when the bead passes the lips and repeat..
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:55 pm

Never owned a semi auto shotgun, and my o/u or my pump have never failed. I don't beat em like some of these guys, but if I was going to get a boat gun it wouldn't be a pretty one. If you shoot well, you don't even need 3 shells. Lol unless your dying to get a new gun, keep shooting em with the pump and spend the money on something else.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
live2hunt

Unread postby live2hunt » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:44 pm

kenn1320 wrote:Never owned a semi auto shotgun, and my o/u or my pump have never failed. I don't beat em like some of these guys, but if I was going to get a boat gun it wouldn't be a pretty one. If you shoot well, you don't even need 3 shells. Lol unless your dying to get a new gun, keep shooting em with the pump and spend the money on something else.

I can never have too many guns! I have a lot of reasons to get one. They are camo and chambered in 3.5in to double as a turkey gun. These camo guns are easier to clean(I don't want to keep dragging my guns that im kind of partial to around in the mud). I am an alright shot but still need the three shots haha. I don't want everyone drilling ducks around me while im trying to pump my gun in a tight blind. Anyway thats more than enough reasons for me. Heck a day that ends with y is reason enough for me!

Anyway I went and checked out all of the guns mentioned here at a local shop today. I handled them all and pondered for a long time. The winchester x3 seemed a little small for me, The stock is too short. The stoegers there didn't chamber 3.5in and just seemed like a low quality gun. I liked a few of the benelli guns but I just couldnt bring myself to spend 1700+ on a gun, Sure they are worth it just couldnt do it. I also looked at some beretta guns just didnt like the fit and price. I found that the remington versa max fits me like a glove. It seems like a solid gun chambers any round and to top it off was the only gun marked made in the U.S.A. Changed my mind and am looking into maybe getting the remington now.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:07 pm

Hey that's cool, just my opinion. I used to work at Remington down in E-town Ky. Sharp group of guys and some pretty cool testing. Looks like a $100 rebate on them thru Dec.

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:34 pm

870...... :lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:53 am

Zap wrote:870...... :lol:

I am with zap, pump hillbilly here too. My wife has a Fabram arms Red lion, imported (I typically hate imports too) by H&K. Nice light weight gun, quick handling and points like my 870 (I have shot it a few times). She has dumped a pile of pheasants with it, but don't know how rugged it is to stand up to the riggers of duck hunting.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:12 am

Mossberg 930..Cheap, versatile and effective..It's hard to beat a good pump though.
Last edited by Badger on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:24 am

Zap wrote:870...... :lol:

Nothing wrong with the 870!

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”