Duck Hunters??

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Duck Hunters??

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:24 am

Anyone duck hunt on this forum? Definitely takes away from the time spent chasing whitetails not to mention it takes a toll on the fall hunting fund. This past yr was the first yr I tried hunting without any real guidance and we had a blast, got shooting at some ducks, never killed anything other than one coot :roll: but we sure had fun. The one thing I like is that its more of a group sport and you can be kind of loud and have a good time with your buddies until the ducks come flying in. The only real issue I found was that in the SE part of WI where we did all our hunting everything is so darn over hunted that its hard to get any ducks, or geese for that matter, to work into the decoys like they are supposed to. I'd love to see some success pics or hear some stories I'm a new comer to the sport of waterfowling

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Osprey

Re: Duck Hunters??

Unread postby Osprey » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:23 am

At least one other waterfowl here! I'm on the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake, been duck and goose hunting my whole life. Had one span after college I didn't miss a day of duck hunting for six years, still average 30-40 days a season. Does cut into deer hunting, but I seem to do most of my fowling during Dec/Jan after I'm wore out on deer, makes for a nice change of pace.
ramblinman

Unread postby ramblinman » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:08 am

Backwoods, Wisconsin isn't as good as it was years ago. I may make it out a few times around here, but I try to plan a trip west or up north to canada and get a good week of shooting In.

I spend the rest chasing whitetails and other critters.

Another thing that is a blast is chasing those snows and blues in the spring. I didn't make it this spring, but it will get you pumped when you have 2,000 to 4,000 birds trying to land in your decoys. You may see ten thousand birds in one day or more. We shot 139 birds one day a couple of years ago. That was our best ever, otherwise 30 to 40 is a good day.
I'll try to post some pics.

Osprey, never been over there hunting! cool looking birds though!!
Have any pictures that you could post?
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:59 am

Haven't shot a duck yet, but currently planning 6 days in ND on October with some friends.
ramblinman

Unread postby ramblinman » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:07 am

Goober, you should have a good time.
Osprey

Unread postby Osprey » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:39 am

Here you go Ramblinman...

October Sunrise...

Late season this January...

Over the years...

Another good day's bag from January for two guys...
Osprey

Unread postby Osprey » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:54 am

bufflehead...

good day...

snowstorm...
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:31 pm

wow looks like you guys have quite the great hunts for waterfowl. I have been far from succesful on any of my hunting adventures I was so busy all fall we always hunted within an hour of milwaukee where everything is destroyed by the weekend warriors sadly enough. I do have a buddy I went to college with who lives in North Dakota and recently moved back home so we are planning a pheasant/duck/goose trip out there come fall which I am absolutely pumped for. Wish more guys on here were into duck hunting I'm new and really like it some decoy and spread thoughts as well as some duck gun talk would really get me riled up for fall.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 12, 2010 8:27 am

wow looks like you guys have quite the great hunts for waterfowl. I have been far from succesful on any of my hunting adventures I was so busy all fall we always hunted within an hour of milwaukee where everything is destroyed by the weekend warriors

Backwoods... I ain't much of a duck hunter, but there sure seems to be great duck hunting in Rome pond marsh behind my house.
It does get a bit crowded but there is such a variety of duck types and good numbers... I know where the wood ducks are, thats for sure. I jump them within easy range walking to my hunting spots. Only about an hour from Milwaukee.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Wed May 12, 2010 9:44 am

I love duck hunting, but its hard to fit everything in the fall, everything just goes on at the same time. Heres my bird dog.

solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Wed May 12, 2010 9:46 am

awesome pics Osprey.
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Wed May 12, 2010 7:35 pm

Great pics on this subject!!!
Thanks!
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Thu May 13, 2010 12:39 am

OSPREY, DO YOU KILL MOSTLY DIVERS THERE? IM IN THE UP OF MICHIGAN USED TO HUNT DUCKS AND GEESE ALL THE TIME, PROBABLY 50 -60 DAYS A YEAR. MY HUNTING PARTNER TURNS 13 THIS YEAR, MY FIRST WATERFOWL DOG, YELLOW LAB, AND HE CANT GET AROUND THAT GOOD ANYMORE. TOOK THE FUN OUT OF IT FOR ME WITHOUT HIM. AND NOW I REALLY CAUGHT THE WHITETAIL BUG A FEW YEARS BACK. OUR DIVERS HAVE BEEN OK LAST FEW YEARS, MOSTLY RING BILLS, BLUE BILLS AND NOW LATELY ALOT OF REDHEADS. OF COURSE SOME BUFFLES MIXED IN. MALLARD HAVE BEEN DOWN. SHOT A VERY NICE MATURE BLACK LAST FALL THOUGH AND TANNA GOT TO RETRIEVE IT. KICKING MYSELF FOR NOT GETTING IT MOUNTED ESPECIALLY IF TANNA CANT HUNT THIS YEAR. I THINK I'VE SEEN TWO CANS IN THE LAST TWENTY YEARS OF HUNTING UP HERE. TAKE CARE
Osprey

Unread postby Osprey » Sun May 16, 2010 9:24 am

U.P., here at home I kill mainly divers and geese, although there are some mallards around and over the years I have killed a few of most all types of puddlers here. I can be down on the big marshes in 20 minutes and hunt the puddlers, too though. You should come here for blacks, the salt marshes are full of them - if you could shoot more than one a day it would be worth the ride down to hunt them more. Mainly a ton of Canada geese here, preserve up the creek from me holds 10-15,000 all winter. Every night I have 500 roosting on the impoundment in my back field, too.

Know what you mean about dogs, mine turned 10 this winter and is starting to slow down. Been debating whether to start a new pup now or wait until after this season.
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Mon May 31, 2010 2:07 pm

Had a good past few years here in Ohio....

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”