Training a new pup

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jlewa989

Training a new pup

Unread postby jlewa989 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:05 am

I'm picking up a new Weimeraner puppy, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these dogs pheasant hunting? If not with the Weimeraners, any suggestions as far as training a dog to pheasant hunt would be helpful. Thanks.

[glow=yellow]Joe Lewandowski[/glow]
Brad

Re: Training a new pup

Unread postby Brad » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:35 am

I would suggest getting the book water dog. It is the best book ever made for retrievers, I didn't duck hunt but found a lot of good advice in it. Also, if you need a pheasant training dummy, pm me and you can have it, I wont ever use it again I'm sure.
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:16 pm

The basics: work on manors mostly at first. The hunting should largely be instinctual in a good dog/breed. The fancy hand signal and whistle stuff should be introduced slowly if you're into that stuff. When they're little, do the occational hand clap in the same room to get'em used to the "bang" of a gun. Possitive reinforcement instead of negative discipline. A small piece of treat when they do good works great for this. Good luck.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:26 am

Weimeraner's can be hard headed, a friend's family has raised them for the past 30 years. You need to be a strong master with them.

When I was training GSP's, I picked up "The training and care of the versatile hunting dog" by Sigbot Winterhelt. I see that it is on DVD now: http://www.amazon.com/Training-Care-Ver ... B000E9J9GS

Hunt Close was recommended to me as well: http://www.amazon.com/Hunt-Close-Realis ... 1558212647

Some tips: never give a command that you can't enforce in some fashion, as you don't want the pup to learn that he can ignore you. Be consistent in training. Keep sessions short at first. If the dog doesn't seem to be getting what you are trying to train, step back and try to figure another way to present it, as he just might not be understanding what you want him to do. Never lose your temper during training, instead end the session and come back another time.

Good luck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”