Thinking about a golden retriever for Grouse/Family Dog

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GFY Camp

Thinking about a golden retriever for Grouse/Family Dog

Unread postby GFY Camp » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:14 am

I know a Golden is not the typical Grouse dog. But my famimly picked out some family dogs they would want and the only one suited for hunting is a golden.

Anyone else ever use a golden for grouse? How did it work?

muddy

Re: Thinking about a golden retriever for Grouse/Family Dog

Unread postby muddy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:16 am

Ever consider a Viszla? Not sure how they're for grouse hunting but any Viszla I've been around has always been FANTASTIC with family and kids. My dad had one, I had one, we were amazed at how much love/attention they gave us.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
GFY Camp

Unread postby GFY Camp » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:21 am

muddy wrote:Ever consider a Viszla? Not sure how they're for grouse hunting but any Viszla I've been around has always been FANTASTIC with family and kids. My dad had one, I had one, we were amazed at how much love/attention they gave us.

Viszla are awasome dogs. However, they are not on the short list of what the family picked out.

If it were 100% up to me it would be a Springer, GSP or Brittnay.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:24 am

Well, I don't know anything about how a Golden does on grouse, but I have a few friends who have Goldens and as far as a family dog goes, I don't think you can have a better one.

GFY Camp

Unread postby GFY Camp » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:28 am

Although Golden has "retriever" in it's name. I don't think a lot of people hunt them anymore. Not sure why. Wonder if there is still a retrieving instinct in them. I'll have to go some searching by Google.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:36 am

Most dogs have that mentality to retrieve for their masters. With a little searching I bet you can find the exact dog you want, that being one from 2 great hunters and also having the social skills for your family. Internet is GREAT!

GFY Camp

Unread postby GFY Camp » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:10 am

muddy wrote:Most dogs have that mentality to retrieve for their masters. With a little searching I bet you can find the exact dog you want, that being one from 2 great hunters and also having the social skills for your family. Internet is GREAT!

I've grouse hunted over Labs before although they are a bit large for the cover they still are very effective and find a way to navagate it. I see no reason why a golden would not be able to as well if a lab can.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:33 am

GFY Camp wrote:Although Golden has "retriever" in it's name. I don't think a lot of people hunt them anymore. Not sure why. Wonder if there is still a retrieving instinct in them. I'll have to go some searching by Google.

Certainly not a expert on birddogs, but I've had 6 different birddogs over the years. Most guys that I know that have goldens, they are great family dogs and excellent around kids, but for hunting, I'll just hold off on that one. I'd put them in the same category as a cocker spaniel. :roll:

Had a brittany years ago, good grouse dog, 3 different GSP good grouse dogs but much better on pheasant and woodcock. Currently we have 2 dogs a gordon setter and a wirehaired pointing griffon. I would recommend both breeds for hunting and a family dog.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:38 am

I have hunted grouse over a handful of dogs. The best dog I ever hunted grouse over was Izzy an 11yr old black lab. She was the best. Part of me thinks the exposure to hunting and the fact that the guys I was with hunted her so much she learned how to hunt what wasn't already instinct for her. I know very little about dogs however so just sharing what I saw. I think the more exposure and more training and more time in the field any dog from good blood lines will hunt fairly well. The one thing you don't see is a lot of these upland bird dogs finding sheds or retrieving ducks like labs ;)

This guy was my ecology teacher from high school, I have personally hunted ducks with him over his dog Ruby, a "cavalier king charles spaniel". The thing retrieves ducks and doves like its not an ankle biter. :lol: Moral of the story if you train them they will hunt!

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA3mc0V4DGE&feature=player_embedded[/bbvideo]
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:14 am

[quote="BackWoodsHunter"] The one thing you don't see is a lot of these upland bird dogs finding sheds or retrieving ducks like labs ;)

Actually, 2 of our GSP and our current Griffon retrieved ducks and geese quite well. The Gordon and Brittany had no interest. Never used them to locate sheds, but the Griffon was chewing on a shed in the backyard this spring, no idea where he found it. Also with the right training they will track a blood trail on a deer quite well also, our griffon has located a couple deer for buddies.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:49 pm

I nver stop learning on this site! :D Like I said I'm no dog expert so good to know Tad, I stand corrected! Maybe one of those would be another option for GFY
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:54 am

i couldnt imagine dealing with that fur after coming out of the woods nor in the house. i like the short hair breeds or shorter hair should i say. i also think a brittany looks good shaved down short.
GFY Camp

Unread postby GFY Camp » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:28 am

If we did get a Golden the dog would stay shaved. My last grouse dog was a springer and she was always shaved.

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”