Other critters while on stand.....

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bucky

Other critters while on stand.....

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:41 am

In past 48hrs I have seen a opossum, a racoon, a coyote, a mink, two beavers, and a peleated woodpecker.

What have u guys seen?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Crazinamatese

Re: Other critters while on stand.....

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:01 am

Nothing special. I seen a raccoon a few weeks ago, and a sandhill crane in a marsh I was hunting near last weekend.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:05 am

I see possums and coons pretty much every hunt. Muskrats everywhere and a few beaver are usually around but harder to find with the drought. Saw a badger a few weeks ago but the coolest thing I saw once up north was a Fisher. When I saw it from a distance I thought it was a bear coming thru the woods. :o Yesterday I actually saw a few snakes lying across a grass trail sunning themselves.

As far as birds.....

Here and there I see a few turkeys. I am still amazed when I see a flock living a few miles out in the cattails! No trees in sight and they actually bury themselves in the cattails to roost.

I hunt marshes so the bird migrations are huge this time of the year. I see litteraly thousands of geese flying over every day along with huge flocks of ducks, Great Blue Heron. Last night a flock of migrating Red Wing Black Birds of probably a 1000 landed on the island I was hunting on to take a break. The sound was almost deafening while they were above me in the tree tops! In the last week or so I have seen 2 different Bald Eagles that nest in the area and earlier in the season there were about 90 Pelicans in the area. The marsh is a very busy place this time of the year and always something to watch.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:16 am

I literally saw over 100 turkeys at once yesterday. They are like rats where I hunt. There were times I had between 50 and 75 within 30 yards. I kept trying to count them but gave up!! Lots of fox squirrels too that kept me entertained. Saw some bluejays and little woodpeckers also!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:21 am

This year so far...... yotes, squirrles, cottontail (pretty rare up here), snowshoes, fisher, turkeys, wolf (wish I had a tag grrrrr), bear, red and gray fox, skunk and tons of birds.

Haven't seen a bobcat but average one about every other year.......also missing the main thing I am after.....a Big Buck. :lol:
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:48 am

Public Land Beast wrote:I literally saw over 100 turkeys at once yesterday. They are like rats where I hunt. There were times I had between 50 and 75 within 30 yards. I kept trying to count them but gave up!! Lots of fox squirrels too that kept me entertained. Saw some bluejays and little woodpeckers also!

same here, tons of turkeys. have also seen opossum, skunk, mink, squirrel, yote and coon.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:46 pm

Been seing a lot of different birds while hunting. Golden crown kinglet is one I wanted to share.

missed a coyote with the xbow about 10 days ago. I was creeping through a bedding area in a light rain, when I see a coyote face looking at me. Eased the 40 yd dot onto him as he turned perfectly broadside, sailed about 2 inches over the back. Would love to have that one over.

Then up in the UP last week, I got to see grouse, pileated woodpecker, a fisher, had a huge owl fly down a two track in front of me for a while, and almost hit a bald eagle on I-75 on the way home. I know the eagle wasn't while on stand, but how many times do you get to see an eagle from about 10 feet away.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:06 am

I don't know why but I really enjoy threads like this. I think it's really interesting to hear what everyone else sees. I kept a tally of critters for a few years to compare year to year. That was pretty fun to do but I haven't done that the past few years and I am sure my wife threw the old info away at somepoint. Keep the posts coming.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:09 am

Red foxes, Eastern coyotes, racoons, squirrels, mice, falcons and eagles, a mink, muskrat, a bobcat, beaver, fisher cats, woodchucks...
Scout, scout, scout, hunt

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”