Any Tips for taking a 3 year old hunting?

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Any Tips for taking a 3 year old hunting?

Unread postby Brad » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:35 pm

I told my 3 year old nephew if he kept working on getting potty trained I would take him squirrel hunting. He has been doing good and the other night my sister called and said he got all dressed up in camo and told her he was going hunting with me either yesterday or today with me. She told him he couldnt go those days because I had to work and he got mad, I guess he really wants to go. I told her I would take him out saturday morning so thats the plan for now. Any tips for taking a youngster out for the first time? I don't care if we get one but I would like to and I am sure he will want to hold it and pet it so that might keep him still if he has one to play with.

Bucky

Re: Any Tips for taking a 3 year old hunting?

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:43 pm

Lots of snacks... Teach him about differences in trees... What squirrels eat, deer tracks, etc. My kids love that stuff...

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:57 pm

Just my opinion but I wouldn't take a 3 year old squirrel hunting with a gun (I assume you'd be using a gun) even if it was my own kid. Too much responsibility/liability. If you take your eyes off of them for a split second a lot can happen. I wouldn't do it. Maybe take a toy gun and go for a walk in the woods and pretend your hunting but I'd leave the real gun at home.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:34 pm

I started my daughter at age 3. Find ways to make the hunt fun. I used a blind and kept her involved in the hunt. We were turkey hunting. She took snacks we would goof off a while....color in a coloring book....call turkeys for a while etc

We actually called a good gobbler in. She was so excited. I never bent a string...just enjoyed it. We continued hunting small game that year. Never shot at a critter. Just kept her involved... made games out of who could walk/stalk the quietest.

Keep things fun.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:40 pm

I did the same as the others plenty variety of snacks and a blind. Also, I had them so comfortable they would fall asleep on the early morning hunts which was a good thing since they were quiet and all I had to do was wake them when the deer or turkey was approaching.

Good luck and enjoy the moment, kids grow up way too fast.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:46 pm

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this one. My boy is 3 1/2 now and I don't think I'd take him hunting yet. not sure if he could be patient enough and is too easily distracted. I do take him in the outdoor nature areas near home though. I try to show him and teach him things about the animals and bugs we see. this way he can go at his own pace and do what ever he wants.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:52 pm

Bring a pellet gun and shoot a squirrel or two...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:05 pm

tip #1 - dont plan on actually hunting... AT ALL
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:00 am

jlh42581 wrote:tip #1 - dont plan on actually hunting... AT ALL

Pretty much this! :lol: My boy was 3 last year, I took him for a few walks in the woods to look for tracks/birds/sqirrels or whatever else we saw. I made sure to bing the bow along so he knew we were hunting. It was fun and he had a great time just getting out. We did some deer hunting last year too. This year I have already managed to bring my 2 and 4 year bowhunting, we just sit next to some brush/blind I made on the ground. I bring out their little lawn chairs, lots of snacks, and never forget the grunt call - they love to toot on that thing. They only last a half hour to an hour but its fun for them and they sometimes get to see nature up close. I hunted opening morning with my son, we had a porky pine walk by at maybe 7 yards and he was super pumped.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:52 pm

Take him and have fun. Lots of good ideas, coloring books blinds, hiding and walking quiet games, all good stuff. Can't wait to hear about the hunt.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”