Anyone hunt squirrels?

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Anyone hunt squirrels?

Unread postby Brad » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:02 pm

Anyone ever find time do kill a few tree rats? I think since I am not hunting morning stands as much I will take some time to do a little squirrel hunting (and possibly stack public land :mrgreen: ) when I am not scouting and try and get my nephew involved (he is 3, I told him if he keeps doing well in potty training I will take him hunting, so far seems to be working). I always liked it because it was usually successful and a welcome recharge of the batteries when deer hunting drains me with all the tactical stuff. Anyone have any favorite tips or recipe's? Any pictures of your squirrel killers are welcome too. I will round up a picture of my baby, its a Remington 572 Fieldmaster pump .22, took me 12 years to find one in good condition and even then I had to order it from Cabelas in Connecticut :mrgreen: . I always wanted one as a kid.

Stevew77

Re: Anyone hunt squirrels?

Unread postby Stevew77 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:33 pm

Used to love it, great post season scouting getaway

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:08 pm

I used to hunt them a lot in the past. I had an unbelievable squirrell dog. I'd just let him go and wait for him to bark. I killed over 100 per season when I hunted them. I think squirrel meat is one of the best wild game meats.

I would put them in a crock pot and add cream of mushroom soup.
I used to save the tails and sell them to Mepps bait co. The money would pay for my .22 shells.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:41 am

I use to squirrel hunt all the time, but haven't in several years. I've actually been thinkin of goin a bit this year. I like a .22 in December. Good stuff.

As far as cookin them, flour them and fry em slow. Add some bisquits and gravy, I'm good to go!
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:38 pm

i don't do it nearly as much as I used too. I went last winter a couple times during late bow season and whacked a few out of the trees with my bow. good stuff!
When better is possible, good is never good enough
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:57 pm

i spotted a black squirrel this spring, and during the summer wile sitting on the back porch of the cabin....so im on the quest for the black squirrel :L:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:15 pm

BigHunt wrote:i spotted a black squirrel this spring, and during the summer wile sitting on the back porch of the cabin....so im on the quest for the black squirrel :L:

Up north in some areas blacks seem as common as grays.

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:51 pm

Haven't shot one in years and years, I hate skinning the little buggers. Hair sticks to EVERYTHING.

They are fun to shoot though. Maybe I should shoot some then take them downtown to the Asian area, I bet they'd be tickled as a 49ers fan on Week 1.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
patman

Unread postby patman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:10 pm

I'll be going this year my kids are 10 and 12 and they can't wait to go. I'm with southen man on how to cook them.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:44 pm

Love hunting them. Just don't have the time. Deer season takes precedence.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:46 pm

Dewey wrote:
BigHunt wrote:i spotted a black squirrel this spring, and during the summer wile sitting on the back porch of the cabin....so im on the quest for the black squirrel :L:

Up north in some areas blacks seem as common as grays.

In a near town called Norwalk , they have a town festival called black squirrel days. The black rats run wild in that town , and huge two. I've only seen one besides the one I'm after, and that town is 20 minutes away.

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:11 pm

Finally a squirrel hunter ad topic!

I hunt squirrels almost all the time.

My gun;

Remingtom pump 22, tube load, 1935 model with no scope. If necessary, Ruger 22 mag with a redfield 3.5x9 scope. Hollow point, head shots only.

My call;

I use two quarters; one I wrap my forefinger and thumb around to create a cup sorta. I then take another quarter hit the top of this hand to create a bark type call. Both male and female come to it. It really works well. I have two quarters I use from 1987 when I graduated from college, they are my favorite.

My cleaning method;

Cut the fur / hide between the shoulders and hind quarters and pull oposite directions. Like taking a tight pair of pants of a hot chick from a happy hour and a tight shirt off after working out. Once that mess is gone I cut the feet and hands off. Oh yeah, once the lower hide is completely at its end / tail I pull an extra pull to pull the hide away from tail. (tail goes to Mepps in Minnesota for my Muskie lures, Fox squirrels are the best.) I then throw the entrails to ground, if it is a male I take his "balls-equipment" and hang it in the tree, good luck. :lol: lol Rinse with water, put squirrel in plastic bag, put tail flatten in another plastic bag.

Favorite snack during squirrel hunting;

snickers with a fresh apple from orchard :L:

Cooking;

Slow cooker with a ton of vegatables(or vegatable soup) and mushroom soup. Use sea salt as needed.
or

Marinate with favorite tenderizer, soak in a little oil and egg, roll in flour or special coating and fry for about 4 to 5 minutes in oil. Serve over brown rice, sparagus and a cold beer. Either Honey Weiss or Samual Adams Octoberfest.

Where do I hunt lease little creatures;

Vernon county
Waukesha county

I usually hunt in ladder part of the year and have cooked them for my portion of meal plan in deer camp or during December / Janaury months.

Love to hunt them, love to eat them and really enjoy using my favorite lure for musky, northern and walleye knowing that the tails are from my little creatures of the woods.

Hows that for a squirrel hunter?
RJR-007
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:06 am

Stanley wrote:Love hunting them. Just don't have the time. Deer season takes precedence.

I can dig it. It got to the point where I'd go squirrel huntin and end up deer scoutin. Never would kill a squirrel :mrgreen:
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:18 am

Sometimes while squirrel hunting I'd see more deer and when deer hunting of course you see more squirrels.

I think this year I will purchase a blow dart use it while sitting on my stand, collect the squirrels when I'm done.

:mrgreen:
RJR-007
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:25 am

i love squirrel hunting. I use a .177 air rifle. take head shots only. They are easy to skin IF you do it right after you kill them. Crock pot or fry them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”