A dam beaver question...

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zap

Re: A dam beaver question...

Unread postby Zap » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:33 pm

Damn beavers...... :lol:

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:43 pm

Do you live in WI? Are you a cop/warden? :lol:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:20 am

Goober wrote:You are going to find out that it is ALOT of work to tear out a beaver dam by hand. All of those sticks are locked together quite well.

I do not think it can be done.

and there is no "beaver"... its "beavers"... as in more than 1... for sure.

makes a great wood duck spot come october is your a duck hunter.
You can't kill em on the couch
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:28 am

Ist off, I think beavers often create great habitat for deer... But, if that is not the case here, I would contact a local trapper and have him legally move the beavers. They are usually happy to do it for free to get the beavers. I would not suggest trying it yourself unless you are already an accoplished trapper and have a license and training.
One thing you need to do if you allow a trapper on your land to get the beavers is make sure you discuss trapping dates and times. I have had trappers mess up my hunting spots coming thru after dark and before light or just walking in the wrong areas... I think in most areas they can and do trap beaver after bow season closes.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:48 am

I've noticed that beavers' dams funnel deer to obvious places, therefore making great hunting opportunities. I know that's not always the case. But instead of fighting them you could see what they could possibley be doing for you. Plus they make great duck hunting spots. :D
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:19 am

matt1336 wrote:I've noticed that beavers' dams funnel deer to obvious places, therefore making great hunting opportunities. I know that's not always the case. But instead of fighting them you could see what they could possibley be doing for you. Plus they make great duck hunting spots. :D

They do funnel deer out of the field into a narrow 10ft section, but that's usually in the middle of the night. The thing that bothers me about the beavers, is that they have closed my crossing of the creek to get to my stand. I have to walk through the field and usually there are deer in the field at the time. Oh well, I'll just get a trapper who knows what he's( or she we have to be PC here) doing and wait till after the season is over.
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:47 am

I got some new traps all dyed up and ready to go........ ;)
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:26 am

Can you cross the creek on the beaver dams? I do this all the time to get away from the crowds, it might not be the case for your dams but I find most easy to cross.

You could also try shoving a pipe through the dam to help drain the water. I have never tried this but I hear it works and the beavers have trouble finding where the water is getting by their dam.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:35 am

headgear wrote:Can you cross the creek on the beaver dams? I do this all the time to get away from the crowds, it might not be the case for your dams but I find most easy to cross.

You could also try shoving a pipe through the dam to help drain the water. I have never tried this but I hear it works and the beavers have trouble finding where the water is getting by their dam.

We tried the pipe thing also worked for about a week til the little found it and plugged it! :evil:
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:59 am

JRM6868 wrote:
headgear wrote:Can you cross the creek on the beaver dams? I do this all the time to get away from the crowds, it might not be the case for your dams but I find most easy to cross.

We tried the pipe thing also worked for about a week til the little CENSORED FOR BAD LANGUAGE found it and plugged it! :evil:

Good to know. They are relentless so I just let them work and use their dams as a Beast Bridge.

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”