Gunnison area In Colorado

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

Gunnison area In Colorado

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:10 am

Years ago (probably 20 years) my dad elk hunted north of Gunnison 20 miles or so. He hunted this area for 15 years. The elk, mule deer and bear hunting was phenomenal! The last couple years he was there he had enough of It as a guide moved In there and shot a bunch of huge bulls. Video's were made and people flocked to this area. I talked with my dad yesterday and told him we've got to get you on an elk hunt again as he hasn't hunted elk for 15 years or so. I mentioned to him about his old area and asked If he was Interested In going back there as he knows the area very well.

So my question Is, for anyone that's hunted here how Is the hunting pressure there? Is there 4 wheelers allowed everywhere? The last area I hunted In Colorado 4 wheelers were allowed pretty much everywhere. I want nothing to do with an area where 4 wheelers can go as they please. I also see that It's not over the counter In this area. What's the percentage of getting drawed the 1st try? By the looks of It It's unit 54 or 55.

Thanks.

iamyourhuckleberry

Re: Gunnison area In Colorado

Unread postby iamyourhuckleberry » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:47 am

Steve,

I have a really good friend who lives in the Gunnison area. She and her husband hunt via horseback. I could drop a dime if you want. Let me know.

Also, I am doing the big camp again this year. You are more than welcome to join us. I'm telling you, you haven't come close to touching/seeing what is available in 45. Don't let a few days of "nothing" deter you! Remember, a season can change in as little as 30 seconds! It's like deer hunting....you have to be there!
"No one had ever asked what it feels like to be me. Once I told the truth about that, I felt free. I got to thinking about all the people I know, and the things I’ve seen and done. I can start flying now."-unknown
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:09 am

From what I'm hearing Will the Gunnison area Is packed with hunters and 4 wheelers too. I'm just being honest here, I hate 4 wheelers and hunting. I deal with It bear hunting too and I hate It so my fuse Is probably a bit short with this stuff. The area I hunted with you In 45 had way to many joy riders for my liking where I hunted. That last hunt that me and Matt did where you sent us for bear was the last straw when I ran Into a hunter on a 4 wheeler In a meadow that took me 3 hours to get to. I know there's allot of area I didn't go to but damn I was frustrated with the people situation. It wasn't the hunters, It was the joy riders. I want to be more secluded from stuff like that. We'll see on the hunt next year. Regardless you and I will be going hunting together many more times In the future.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:13 pm

Have not hunted unit 54 or 55, Gunnison herd. Lots of information on CO DOW website on draw odds and success rates.

We hunted unit 23 and 24 this year. We were able to get into unaccessible areas and away from ATV's, but we were in flattop wilderness area where they aren't allowed. Spent several years in unit 18, (Granby, Kremmling) and that's why we moved out of that area, people riding around day and night, couldn't get away from all the commotion.
str8shooter

Unread postby str8shooter » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:04 pm

I didn't hunt the gunnison units, but year before last I was in 43,47, and 471(these border the gunnison units) hunting above treeline for mulies during the archery season. These are over the counter units and I could point you in the right direction for getting into elk. I seen piles over the 13 days that I spent in two different wilderness areas. I never seen any slammer bulls, but did see some solid 5 points and one 6 point. It's rugged country but definitely not unreasonable for someone willing to get into good shape.
Find his shed, find his bed, use your head to make him dead.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:06 am

str8shooter wrote:I didn't hunt the gunnison units, but year before last I was in 43,47, and 471(these border the gunnison units) hunting above treeline for mulies during the archery season. These are over the counter units and I could point you in the right direction for getting into elk. I seen piles over the 13 days that I spent in two different wilderness areas. I never seen any slammer bulls, but did see some solid 5 points and one 6 point. It's rugged country but definitely not unreasonable for someone willing to get into good shape.

Great Info, thanks! 4 wheelers allowed here too?
str8shooter

Unread postby str8shooter » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:36 pm

47 and 471 are virtually 100% wilderness so no 4 wheelers off of the roads which are far and few between. 43 has a large portion in wilderness but also some low country that isn't and I would assume allows 4 wheelers access, but I don't know as I never went outside of the wilderness areas.
Find his shed, find his bed, use your head to make him dead.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:48 am

Awesome!! Thank you again!!
HuntMeister

Unread postby HuntMeister » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:24 am

Bowhunting, rifle or muzz?
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:18 pm

Bow
HuntMeister

Unread postby HuntMeister » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:55 pm

I understand your frustration regarding a zoo like atmosphere. If you are like me you didn't drive 1500 miles to have that kind of experience. I have never bowhunted in CO just rifle hunts for Elk. The DOW can give you much valuable info and their website has good details as well. Back when I was researching for a place to get away from the crowd I purchased the National Geographic topo software for the state of CO. I then spent many hour on the phone talking to outfitters and literally creating a map showing the areas that they were permitted to operate in and their campsite locations. National Forest maps are a must too, with those you can find most of the public access points.

It is alot of research to get the experience you wish but can be done. I ended up doing a drop camp with a family operation that had been doing it for over 40 years in a wilderness area. We spent 9 days up there and only saw two guys, military boys who hoofed it in over 7 miles and they were just passing thru on the way to their destination.

Hope this has helped, Good luck!
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:23 pm

HuntMeister wrote:I understand your frustration regarding a zoo like atmosphere. If you are like me you didn't drive 1500 miles to have that kind of experience. I have never bowhunted in CO just rifle hunts for Elk. The DOW can give you much valuable info and their website has good details as well. Back when I was researching for a place to get away from the crowd I purchased the National Geographic topo software for the state of CO. I then spent many hour on the phone talking to outfitters and literally creating a map showing the areas that they were permitted to operate in and their campsite locations. National Forest maps are a must too, with those you can find most of the public access points.

It is alot of research to get the experience you wish but can be done. I ended up doing a drop camp with a family operation that had been doing it for over 40 years in a wilderness area. We spent 9 days up there and only saw two guys, military boys who hoofed it in over 7 miles and they were just passing thru on the way to their destination.

Hope this has helped, Good luck!

Great post Hunt!! Thank you!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”