MT ELk

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

MT ELk

Unread postby Dor » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:06 am

Hey all-
Considering going to MT for Elk archery this fall. Has anyone been there and care to share any info. Its a big state and we are trying to narrow down our research a bit. Of all the states we've looked at MT seems to be the hardest to research. UT, WY and NM we have our research and areas selected and were able to basically do that with phone calls and the internet, but for whatever reason MT seems a bit tougher to research in detail. PM if you like. I have been there deer and antelope but never for ELK. No interest in outfitters/guides, this would be a DIY public land hunt.
Thanks all

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Schultzy
500 Club

Re: MT ELk

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:26 pm

I've elk hunted In Montana 6 different years. Went to the Livingston area one year and the Fort Peck area the other 5 years. Could've shot elk every year but one.

The Livingston area was by far one of the prettiest area's I've ever been to. Very thick and rugged country but has a good share of meadows. At the time 4-wheelers were not allowed where we hunted. Not sure If this Is still the case or not. As far as hunting pressure, wasn't much of It. A good share of elk, bear, and Muley's. A few cats here as well. Grizzly's were about 6 miles south of us. I never saw one but my hunting partner saw a sow and 2 cubs at about 500 yards away down below In a canyon. He said It was cool as heck.

As for Fort Peck there's a bit more hunting pressure here. It's nothing like the mountains, more like big rolling hills. Kind of like NM from what my dad has told me. You can pretty much hunt right out of your truck here as there's roads everywhere. I've saw some monster bulls here. One for sure that would've went 400 Inches, If not bigger. There's a ton of elk here. Your average bull here Is usually a 5x5. Hardly ever have I saw any rag horns here. Like I said the hunting pressure Is much more. Hunting can be a real pain In the at times. Timing I believe Is everything. The last time I was here was 2004. The Muley's had just went through the blue tongue thing so the Muley population was low but was on the come back. I've tried going out here at different dates trying to get away from the people. The last time I hunted here I went the last week of September. Not much for hunters but the elk weren't talking no more either. Tough hunting. Before that year I usually went around the 15th of September.

Let me know If you have any questions regarding these areas.
Dor
500 Club

Unread postby Dor » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:49 am

Thanks Schultzy. :D

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:56 pm

Schultzy wrote:I've elk hunted In Montana 6 different years. Went to the Livingston area one year and the Fort Peck area the other 5 years. Could've shot elk every year but one.

I've hunted the Fort Peck area also, only down on the river in the willows. Lots of elk but very bugle shy. It's been many years since I've been there but I hear the hunters totally took it over.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed May 11, 2011 4:04 pm

AC Rider wrote:
Schultzy wrote:I've elk hunted In Montana 6 different years. Went to the Livingston area one year and the Fort Peck area the other 5 years. Could've shot elk every year but one.

I've hunted the Fort Peck area also, only down on the river in the willows. Lots of elk but very bugle shy. It's been many years since I've been there but I hear the hunters totally took it over.
Lots of hunters Is right. Bugling don't get you much out there, maybe a little cow talking but that's about It. I'll be honest though. I hardly ever saw a bull smaller then a 5x5. Most were 6x6's. Saw many 300 to 320 Inch class bulls. Never have I saw this many elk while elk hunting and never have I saw this many elk hunters while elk hunting.
Dor
500 Club

Unread postby Dor » Wed May 18, 2011 3:06 pm

I did end up putting in....everyone drew. Now I hope to draw a limited entry tag. :mrgreen:

AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Wed May 18, 2011 5:51 pm

Dor wrote:I did end up putting in....everyone drew. Now I hope to draw a limited entry tag. :mrgreen:

Excellent :D Hope you have good luck.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri May 20, 2011 8:19 pm

Good luck in MT DOR. I'm eyeing Idaho right now, since I didnt draw KY Elk. A real dream would be to draw that elusive MI Elk tag.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Dor
500 Club

Unread postby Dor » Wed May 25, 2011 3:46 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:Good luck in MT DOR. I'm eyeing Idaho right now, since I didnt draw KY Elk. A real dream would be to draw that elusive MI Elk tag.

Thanks Lou. We put in for hte MT special draw today also.
Tally so far is this
WY and UT...nothing drawn
MT- we have general tags in pocket as back up plan.

still pending....NV, MN, NM and MT limited entry draw.

Also have maine and NH moose apps out there but those are some loooooong odds. :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”