Group Accountability

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

vtbuck
500 Club

Group Accountability

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:54 am

My group has been planning an archery elk hunt for almost 3 years.
2 of us have been involved the entire time. Now there’s 4 of us.
We have daily group texts. Post gear lists, new items we purchase, goals, workouts, etc.
3 of us are very involved. But there in lies the problem. One guy has shown little interest and the other members of the group are concerned about his physical conditioning and the gear he has for this trip. I know there’s 4 months to train still but getting in shape doesn’t just happen.
It’s my experience Mother Nature always wins. My non-motivated buddy is not a small man. 6’6” and all of 350 lbs.
The group would love for him to come but only if he’s going to show some effort.
Anybody ever have an experience with something like this or have some colorful suggestions on what to do with the issue?
There’s only so much you can do for a guy...

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Ghost Hunter

Re: Group Accountability

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:07 pm

Maybe group needs do a little reconnaissance mission. See how he does.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:21 pm

Ghost Hunter wrote:Maybe group needs do a little reconnaissance mission. See how he does.

He’s 4 hours away.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:24 pm

vtbuck wrote:
Ghost Hunter wrote:Maybe group needs do a little reconnaissance mission. See how he does.

He’s 4 hours away.

Oh okay

He could have a rude awaking when time comes.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:00 pm

Tough situation and one I can't answer for you... You have to answer the question cause I don't know your goals or reason for going... My wilderness bear trip is a great time everytime I go. Its a lot of hard work. Especially for me. One of the guys that comes with me is older than me, in bad shape and has a very bad heart condition that caused him to have to quit his career many many years ago... He can't do much of anything, but I love the old Dude and want him there. Anther guy is a friend who lives a hectic life and helps as much as he can.... For the 3rd spot I absolutly have to have a young guy that can help us old dude get big bears out, haul bait out, set up camp, etc... Hard to get those young guys to come back and keep applying though. So we keep rotating thru them. Im sure they may feel they do more than their share of work... Ya, probably, but Im honest from the start. I could just abandon my friends and gather up a younger killing crew... But, my goals are not just to kill. Really love to see the old guy, whom is an unsung legend to me. A true killer with a wall full of bucks bigger than mine, but is humble enough, only a few of us really know his accomplishments back in the 80's and 90's... So, I guess what Im saying is if your goal is to spend great time with people you love, you have to kind of just deal with the extra work, and the problems that come with them... But if its just about killing giant elk, well then pick your partners as if your going into battle to to fight for your life and pick appropriate warriors...
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:13 pm

dan wrote:Tough situation and one I can't answer for you... You have to answer the question cause I don't know your goals or reason for going... My wilderness bear trip is a great time everytime I go. Its a lot of hard work. Especially for me. One of the guys that comes with me is older than me, in bad shape and has a very bad heart condition that caused him to have to quit his career many many years ago... He can't do much of anything, but I love the old Dude and want him there. Anther guy is a friend who lives a hectic life and helps as much as he can.... For the 3rd spot I absolutly have to have a young guy that can help us old dude get big bears out, haul bait out, set up camp, etc... Hard to get those young guys to come back and keep applying though. So we keep rotating thru them. Im sure they may feel they do more than their share of work... Ya, probably, but Im honest from the start. I could just abandon my friends and gather up a younger killing crew... But, my goals are not just to kill. Really love to see the old guy, whom is an unsung legend to me. A true killer with a wall full of bucks bigger than mine, but is humble enough, only a few of us really know his accomplishments back in the 80's and 90's... So, I guess what Im saying is if your goal is to spend great time with people you love, you have to kind of just deal with the extra work, and the problems that come with them... But if its just about killing giant elk, well then pick your partners as if your going into battle to to fight for your life and pick appropriate warriors...

I think this pretty well sums it up.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:51 pm

Our group consists of 3 guys who are 40 years old and the other guy is 36.
Our group is great together most of the time. This is a different kind of hunt that will test you mentally and physically. None of us are expecting any of the others to be in the shape we were in during our 20’s. Just some level of commitment.
The group as a whole is awesome but I can’t carry 350 up a mountain...
LOL
They’re all great guys
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:24 pm

I've seen guys who are not in great shape crush gym rats on the mountain. Some guys have the mental fortitude to push through the pain and discomfort others will not. Best is to set expectations as to what the hunt will be before going, if he thinks he can hack it in the shape he's in who's to say he can't. Once on the hill if he's unable to keep up, that's on him. The rest of the group should stick to the plan and he can join in the portions he's able to handle if he can't he'll be hunting on his own, still sharing camp.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:18 pm

What kind of hunt? Backpack in 3+ miles up a steep trail? Or camp where you can get a vehicle to!

If your camping from a vehicle. I agree with Dan's perspective. For the most part.

But if it's a backpack hunt. Everyone!!! And I mean everyone must pull their own weight!! Nothing would ruin a trip more than if you all had to pull out before even reaching your hiking destination. Because one of you can't handle the hike in.

Even if your all in great shape. The higher altitude will kick your low altitude every day living but. At least for the first couple of days.

If all but 1 of you is in great shape. The one not in shape will have way less fun. Which could affect the whole groups moral.

Man if it was me, spending what your spending to do this. The time your taking to get ready. If your buddy is worth taking with. I'd spend the few bucks and take the time. To drive the 4 hours and have a serious man to man talk!!!

Good luck and have a ball.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:58 pm

He might be ok on the first day, but he will struggle after that. I'm 36 and 260ish. I hike a lot in Montana, usually 5-15 miles a weekend. I tell all my friends back east that want to elk hunt that it's just a long exercise in suffering, because it is. If you guys are hunting above 8,000ft, it gets pretty tough to breath enough air. Get him on board with the workout plan right away, or be prepared for the negative consequences.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:10 pm

stash59 wrote:What kind of hunt? Backpack in 3+ miles up a steep trail? Or camp where you can get a vehicle to!

If your camping from a vehicle. I agree with Dan's perspective. For the most part.

But if it's a backpack hunt. Everyone!!! And I mean everyone must pull their own weight!! Nothing would ruin a trip more than if you all had to pull out before even reaching your hiking destination. Because one of you can't handle the hike in.

Even if your all in great shape. The higher altitude will kick your low altitude every day living but. At least for the first couple of days.

If all but 1 of you is in great shape. The one not in shape will have way less fun. Which could affect the whole groups moral.

Man if it was me, spending what your spending to do this. The time your taking to get ready. If your buddy is worth taking with. I'd spend the few bucks and take the time. To drive the 4 hours and have a serious man to man talk!!!

Good luck and have a ball.

It’s a backpack hunt. Tenting. Hiking in a couple miles to set up camp. We’ve got 3 wilderness areas picked out.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:54 am

6’6”, 350 back packing, tent life and hiking? I get why you’re concerned. I would be too.
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:32 am

vtbuck wrote:My group has been planning an archery elk hunt for almost 3 years.
2 of us have been involved the entire time. Now there’s 4 of us.
We have daily group texts. Post gear lists, new items we purchase, goals, workouts, etc.
3 of us are very involved. But there in lies the problem. One guy has shown little interest and the other members of the group are concerned about his physical conditioning and the gear he has for this trip. I know there’s 4 months to train still but getting in shape doesn’t just happen.
It’s my experience Mother Nature always wins. My non-motivated buddy is not a small man. 6’6” and all of 350 lbs.
The group would love for him to come but only if he’s going to show some effort.
Anybody ever have an experience with something like this or have some colorful suggestions on what to do with the issue?
There’s only so much you can do for a guy...

If he has shown little interest, my gut says this will not work out.

You should plan a test run soon with all of your equipment and go on a trial pack in camping trip this spring or early summer just to see how it would work. You could go to Rib Mtn. and hike up and down with loaded packs. Maybe you can camp somewhere around there. Or go somewhere else, pack in, camp. Do a hike with just weight in your packs while there to simulate packing out an elk.

A little excursion like that would be good for all of you and then all of you can see what needs to change or what weaknesses and strengths everyone has.

If your friend insists on going, but is not that fit, maybe he brings a treestand or makes a blind and sits over a wallow.
The Runt

Unread postby The Runt » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:03 am

In my opinion. Honesty now is the only way. Going on a backcountry hunt where you spend 10 days with some one you really will learn about that person and if you would ever like to hunt with them again. If he is bothering you now. It is going to be 10x worse on the mountain. I have been on hunts with good friends that have turned out bad. I still am good friends with them, but won't hunt with them. Like Dan said, our goals and priorities on a hunt don't line up.

It will be a long drive home, after the hunt, with one guy who didn't gel with the group. just my 0.02
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:21 am

Sounds like a tough situation. That can be a tough hunt for even a flatlander that’s in pretty good shape. Gonna be a rough one carrying a 350 lb guy out of backcountry after he physically cannot do it anymore. :o

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”