Early season moose bedding

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Manitoba derek

Early season moose bedding

Unread postby Manitoba derek » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:40 am

So this fall I am going on a early season moose hunt in Manitoba. We are more then likely chartering a plane to drop us off on a remote lake to avoid any pressure from any near by reserves. The terrain is a very swampy hilly area. Stereotypical Canadian Shield land. I am just wondering when the moose are rutting in early oct would they use wind and thermals to bed and scent check for cows in heat kind of like a white tale would. Just wondering if I should be targeting the same terrain features as you would for a white tail in the rut.

“Keep fit and have fun!”
Hal Johnson & Joanne Mcleod
headgear
500 Club

Re: Early season moose bedding

Unread postby headgear » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:16 am

I really don't know much about moose or the moose rut, however I have found a couple of moose beds and rubs in and around moose beds over the years and I think the principals do apply. The wolves would be pressuring the moose just like deer as well so that also leads me to believe they would have very similar habits.
Manitoba derek

Unread postby Manitoba derek » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:22 am

That was kind of what I was thinking. I don’t see why they wouldn’t use there nose in a similar fashion so that would put them in similar terrain locations.
“Keep fit and have fun!”
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:47 am

I don't have a lot of experience with moose but have ran into a few in the woods. Bumped a bull bedded on a knob, watched a cow bedded down in a bowl in the woods for a half hour and have found moose beds right where I was looking for buck beds on points of ridges and points into swamps.. hoping to get my NH moose tag eventually and do a moose hunt. My problem is they recently quit handing out tags in the areas I hunt because of population decline.
Manitoba derek

Unread postby Manitoba derek » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:12 pm

I hear you there with the declining populations. The area we are going to hunt this year they abolished personal tags years ago and you can only hunt using a conservation tag (1tag 2 hunters) that not so bad anyways seeing as how your almost always in groups of 2 when hunting in the vast wilderness up there. Lol not like ya have a mile road in every direction ya can just hoof it to if ya get lost. :shock: really happy to hear that there bedding practices is fairly similar to a white tale
“Keep fit and have fun!”
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:59 pm

NH is a points lottery system that only awarded 49 permits last year so it's pretty tough to get a permit. Then you get to pick a hunting partner. Sounds like a fun hunt though, hope everything works out for you!
Manitoba derek

Unread postby Manitoba derek » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:02 am

Me too sir. Thanks for your input much appreciated
“Keep fit and have fun!”

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”