Rain Gear advice wanted

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstrap19

Rain Gear advice wanted

Unread postby backstrap19 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:31 pm

Hello guys,

I'm in need of new rain gear. my current waterproof suit has lost it's waterproof. i soak through everytime now. It had been great, until recently. I am currently using a scentblocker outfitter pant and jacket. I am kind of particular about what I want in a waterproof suit, so it has been difficult finding something I can afford that fits my needs. I am ROUGH on the clothing. I go through brush, crawl, and walk endless miles in my waterproof gear. besides being waterproof, the other priority i have is pocket layout. the outfitter had 2 chest pockets (essential) and 2 cargo pockets on the pants. I used these all the time. Another priority is quiet. it can't be scratchy or noisy so that a deer can hear me draw. i am not in a place where i can spend money on sitka or kuiu, even though i'd like to. i'm looking for suggestions, or if you even just want to share what works for you, i'm all ears. Thanks fellas.

JakeB
500 Club

Re: Rain Gear advice wanted

Unread postby JakeB » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:00 pm

Cabela’s has a mt050 rain suit. If you’re looking for goretex that’s probably your cheapest bet. Wait for it to go on sale of coarse.

I have a pair and it’s about as quiet as rain gear can get. And can handle a little brush busting, but I try and take it off and be a little careful with it just so it’ll hold up longer.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:37 pm

rivers west.

If you beat on gear, look at their ranger line.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:36 pm

kryptek makes some real good stuff and its on sale this time of year i run there vellus line from october threw january real nice stuff they also make non insulated rain gear. one thing i can say is i have never gotten soaked threw in this stuff everything is seam sealed and fabric is layered out like shingles in areas that get wet first zippers are also water proof.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:41 pm

I like my kuiu set but the price is hard to take. I beat the heck out of my clothes elk hunting and have never had a problem with kuiu. However, camofire has the kryptec and browning hells canyon systems regularly. Hard to beat the price on there.
backstrap19

Unread postby backstrap19 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:55 pm

great advice so far guys! thanks. i've seen the 's canyon stuff on camofire before. anyone know if it is any good?
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:49 pm

My Cabelas MT 50 lost its waterproof...but its wicked old. I now have the Kuiu rain jacket and ske pants. Super light and packable. Only one year in so far so good. But need a few years to tell.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:56 am

backstrap19 wrote:great advice so far guys! thanks. i've seen the 's canyon stuff on camofire before. anyone know if it is any good?

big thing on rain gear is buying products that are seam sealed and have either a shield over zipper or water proof zipper. gortex is great when its new but its a porous fabric threw use the fabric weave breaks down and loosens up letting water in threw space in fabric and water pressure. a lament fabric will 100 shield water but also blocks moisture from the body from leaving. having a rain jacket that vents and fully blocks moisture is best. if you get wet in one your using the wrong fabrics underneath or too many. using materials like merino acrylic nylon and fleece under will fix most of these problems if your jacket can vent. another thing that causes problems in rain gear is poor wrist cuff design and color design that let water get in it must work like a shingle. another big problem is hood if your not wearing it water will run down and inside your jacket problem is a lot of jackets have hoods that get in the way making you constantly pull it back too see. a hood that move with you will make you more prone too wear it 100% of the time. this silly little thing probably causes more people getting wet in rain gear than any other thing. another thing is dont wear gloves or a hat that wick moisture up that will draw water right up your sleeves and water in around your shoulders. another thing i see a lot of people do is tuck there pants into there boots when its raining or just wet out all that does is fill your boots with water. in reality most rain gear is water proof but improper usage and methods gets you wet.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:31 am

I have an HH workwear jacket that I picked up from fleet farm for like $50. Heavier material so its remarkably quiet. Not perfect but its the best I have found for me. Olive drab so not camo, but better than my yellow bibs I take fishing in the rain.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:53 am

2nd for rivers west - quiet and dry. Still using the same set I bought 12 years ago. Impervious to brush and briars, and as you know that stuff is not friendly to most rain gear.
live2hunt

Unread postby live2hunt » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:24 pm

Gamehide slammer pants and coat. Has hyperhide h20x material. I wear this all season. Can be a little squeaky until it gets broke in but it’s very durable.
backstrap19

Unread postby backstrap19 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:44 am

Thanks ghoast! that was very informative. A few years back, i was guilty of wearing gloves that soaked water like a sponge, and that led to water up my sleeves. it was miserable. I appreciate that breakdown on the materials too. that was helpful. every brand that gets mentioned on this thread is getting a serious look from me. the rivers west stuff is interesting too, i wish i could see it in person. thanks again everyone. i'm getting a good list of stuff to look at!
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:56 am

backstrap19 wrote:Thanks ghoast! that was very informative. A few years back, i was guilty of wearing gloves that soaked water like a sponge, and that led to water up my sleeves. it was miserable. I appreciate that breakdown on the materials too. that was helpful. every brand that gets mentioned on this thread is getting a serious look from me. the rivers west stuff is interesting too, i wish i could see it in person. thanks again everyone. i'm getting a good list of stuff to look at!

Let me know if you have specific questions about it. They also have a youtube video for every piece.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:23 am

Rivers West frontier rain jacket on sale on camofire for $49 normally $129. I believe it's one of their mid weight models.

https://www.camofire.com/index.php/Deals/16
SixLomaz

Unread postby SixLomaz » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:08 am

Anyoo Waterproof Rain Poncho Lightweight Reusable Hiking Hooded Coat Jacket for Outdoor Activities for 14.99 on Amazon will work for you. Buy 2 in case you need one for tent footprint or equipment cover.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”