DIY Archery Elk Colorado

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

DIY Archery Elk Colorado

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:26 am

Hey guys, thought I would share some pictures from my adventures in Colorado. Honestly was going to do a daily journal but was so tired from all the hiking each day that I did not have the energy to...
No elk down, but had some awesome encounters and definitely had our chances at times. Archery elk is just plain tough and boy is it a game of inches. Highlight of the trip was chasing after a 6x6 bull tending a group of 15 or so cows. Nothing beats bugling back and forth with big bulls!

vtbuck
500 Club

Re: DIY Archery Elk Colorado

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:21 am

Jealous. I’m planning to go with a buddy in 2020. Have done a little research but need to get my but in gear.
The pics look amazing. Thanks for sharing. I’ll have to pick your brain a bit when my trip gets closer.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
MDSikajunkie

Unread postby MDSikajunkie » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:08 pm

Very nice! Too bad you didn’t connect on the bull. Was that a draw hunt or OTC? I did an OTC IN 2016 and have some points built up now gonna head out again next year if everything works out.

That is beautiful country. Hard to describe the topography to someone who has never hiked off the trails out there.
It does physically whip you. But, it is fun hearing bulls bugle.

Thanks for sharing the pics
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:23 am

Yes, this was all OTC
Basinboy
500 Club

Unread postby Basinboy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:33 am

Beautiful country man! I don’t get to see them sights when I’m chasing elk, I’m always in the dark timber.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:03 pm

Great looking country!
The Runt

Unread postby The Runt » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:49 am

Hard to beat hunting out west.

Personally, it has affected my whitetail hunting. I don't get near the enjoyment from whitetail hunting that I did before I started annual trips out west.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:40 am

The Runt wrote:Hard to beat hunting out west.

Personally, it has affected my whitetail hunting. I don't get near the enjoyment from whitetail hunting that I did before I started annual trips out west.

I can see where that could happen...its so different out there. I'm hoping to make it an annual deal though so hopefully that will help :D
Zonk54

Unread postby Zonk54 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:05 pm

Wish I was out chasing bugles! Good luck!
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:58 am

Wow amazing pictures. I am planning my first western trip to Colorado for 2020. I know nothing about Elk but can't wait to learn. Hoping there will be a few guys willing to share a little knowledge with me.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:23 am

How was the pressure?

So you were able to get into several Elk?

Was this your first trip out there?

Did you return to the truck each night or backpack in?

I can’t watch anymore elk videos it just depressses me that I can’t get out there to chase those majestic critters.

Ps. Looks like a nice Muley in that meadow?
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:42 pm

quote="PK_"]How was the pressure?
- We stayed for about 3 days at our first camp and then left because there were 3-4 other groups hunting the same mountain range. We had all pushed the majority of the elk in this area into the most rugged creek bottom ever and knew it would be packing an elk out from there. So as a group we decided to pack up and move about 30 miles to a new range none of us had been to before but looked elky. This new place had tough access but zero hunting pressure and we got into elk there. Unfortunately finding those elk took a couple days and we had to head home before we could seal the deal on one...

- Yes, there were four of us so we would break off in pairs each day. My group had multiple encounters and the other group had even more.

- Yes, first elk trip, and first time hunting out west

- We set up a basecamp at the truck and took 2 atvs way back into the mountain range each day. From there we would walk anywhere from 1-8 miles in each morning/ evening hunt. We were completely mobile and would hunt new areas each morning/ evening - It helped a ton to have another group. We took 7000 acre piece and were able to eliminate a ton of unproductive ground in the first couple days. We talked about spike camping, but it limits the mileage you can cover each day because you are carrying a bunch of weight and also we liked the idea of being able to be at the truck and move camp quickly if needed. Also, honestly it was nice to have real food back at our basecamp each night.

I can’t watch anymore elk videos it just depressses me that I can’t get out there to chase those majestic critters.
- You just have to go man - do it while you can! I was surprised at the ease of prepping for this trip (i'd be happy to share my gear list if anyone is interested) and honestly I could have eased back on some purchases I thought I had to make.

- Which picture? If it is i had no idea it was there lol

[/quote]
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:58 pm

Great pics thanks for sharing
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:40 am

I want to go so bad.
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
krent12
Facebook: Kyle Rentmeester

Unread postby krent12 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:46 pm

MN_DeerHunter wrote:quote="PK_"]How was the pressure?
- We stayed for about 3 days at our first camp and then left because there were 3-4 other groups hunting the same mountain range. We had all pushed the majority of the elk in this area into the most rugged creek bottom ever and knew it would be packing an elk out from there. So as a group we decided to pack up and move about 30 miles to a new range none of us had been to before but looked elky. This new place had tough access but zero hunting pressure and we got into elk there. Unfortunately finding those elk took a couple days and we had to head home before we could seal the deal on one...

- Yes, there were four of us so we would break off in pairs each day. My group had multiple encounters and the other group had even more.

- Yes, first elk trip, and first time hunting out west

- We set up a basecamp at the truck and took 2 atvs way back into the mountain range each day. From there we would walk anywhere from 1-8 miles in each morning/ evening hunt. We were completely mobile and would hunt new areas each morning/ evening - It helped a ton to have another group. We took 7000 acre piece and were able to eliminate a ton of unproductive ground in the first couple days. We talked about spike camping, but it limits the mileage you can cover each day because you are carrying a bunch of weight and also we liked the idea of being able to be at the truck and move camp quickly if needed. Also, honestly it was nice to have real food back at our basecamp each night.

- You just have to go man - do it while you can! I was surprised at the ease of prepping for this trip (i'd be happy to share my gear list if anyone is interested) and honestly I could have eased back on some purchases I thought I had to make.

- Which picture? If it is i had no idea it was there lol

[/quote]

Would you go back to colorado? I have decided i am going to go. Not many of the people i know elk hunt tho so i feel like i need to just get as much info from people who just went for there first time as possible!!! I really dont want to pay 5k for a guide but idk... i would prolly learn a lot. what are your thoughts?

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”