Wyoming Antelope

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

huntinsonovagun

Wyoming Antelope

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:25 pm

When I was in college, I said I was going to Wyoming to hunt antelope as soon as I graduated. Well, I got married instead and here it is over 10 years and 3 kids later. I’m tired of putting it off, i think I just have to do it. Unfortuanlty, it looks like all of the OTC tags are a thing of the past. I’m going to buy a PP point this year, but what are the chances I’ll get to actually hunt in 2019? I find all of the western PP stuff confusing. I see south central seems to be prime for antelope, but I’m really kind of lost. And tips or hints? I’m thinking it will probably be rifle the first time out...

huntinsonovagun

Re: Wyoming Antelope

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:25 pm

Send a PM if necessary
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:11 pm

You should get drawn next year. I put in a couple years ago and got drawn on the first try. Couldn't make the hunt. But I think the draw odds are good and with a pp u should be fine
Make It Happen
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:43 pm

I have a friend that hunts Wyoming yearly. From what he has told me, it’s a rarity to not get drawn for antelope with at least one PP.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:00 pm

I've never been but would love to go.
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:02 am

Great news! If anyone else has any info, I’m all ears!
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:11 am

Get on Wyoming game and fish and look up draw results for different units. A lot of units you should draw with 0 points. Some of the better units take more points but several options out there with 0-2 points. I think you still have time to get a point for this year. I went out in 2007 and am planning to go back out in the next few years. I think I’m somewhere around 7 pts now and am going to try to wait until I can get one of the better units. Probably already have enough to do that, but I’ve just been buying them every year with my elk and deer pts.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:21 am

I’m pretty much the same except I don’t have kids. I bought a pt going 2019 or 20. One of my in laws had 0 points and went last year with a buck and doe tag. If you don’t already I’d start watching randy newbergs videos. Every episode is a blueprint for people like you.
huntinsonovagun wrote:When I was in college, I said I was going to Wyoming to hunt antelope as soon as I graduated. Well, I got married instead and here it is over 10 years and 3 kids later. I’m tired of putting it off, i think I just have to do it. Unfortuanlty, it looks like all of the OTC tags are a thing of the past. I’m going to buy a PP point this year, but what are the chances I’ll get to actually hunt in 2019? I find all of the western PP stuff confusing. I see south central seems to be prime for antelope, but I’m really kind of lost. And tips or hints? I’m thinking it will probably be rifle the first time out...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:59 am

They are actually Pronghorn. Antelope are from Africa. I get corrected on that all the time. :ugeek:

They are on my bucket list as well taken with my bow of course. One of these years I will get out there. :pray:
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:10 pm

Dewey wrote:They are actually Pronghorn. Antelope are from Africa. I get corrected on that all the time. :ugeek:

True but whoever is correcting you on that is stickler for pointless details :lol:, everyone calls them antelope, even in the regs
Make It Happen
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:32 pm

huntinsonovagun wrote:When I was in college, I said I was going to Wyoming to hunt antelope as soon as I graduated. Well, I got married instead and here it is over 10 years and 3 kids later. I’m tired of putting it off, i think I just have to do it. Unfortuanlty, it looks like all of the OTC tags are a thing of the past. I’m going to buy a PP point this year, but what are the chances I’ll get to actually hunt in 2019? I find all of the western PP stuff confusing. I see south central seems to be prime for antelope, but I’m really kind of lost. And tips or hints? I’m thinking it will probably be rifle the first time out...

I put in a preference point last year for antelope and didn't draw this year but we did draw mule deer. The group I'm going with said this is the first year they didn't draw for that area. But there were some otc tags available for other units. So might all depend on where you want to hunt
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:40 pm

Bow hunting pronghorn is an absolute absolute blast and probably one of the most challenging bow hunts if you’re going to spot and stalk. I went last year and I’m hooked. Going back again. You can get into Wyoming with zero points but be careful. It’s usually zero points for a reason. Often it’s limited public land . I picked is zero point unit and while it had plenty of public land 95% of it was landlocked by private land and you cannot legally access it. The landowners will often charge a big fee to cross their land and hunt them. Still with some hard work and research those zero point units can still be loads of fun.
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:02 pm

Ridgerunner7 wrote:Bow hunting pronghorn is an absolute absolute blast and probably one of the most challenging bow hunts if you’re going to spot and stalk. I went last year and I’m hooked. Going back again. You can get into Wyoming with zero points but be careful. It’s usually zero points for a reason. Often it’s limited public land . I picked is zero point unit and while it had plenty of public land 95% of it was landlocked by private land and you cannot legally access it. The landowners will often charge a big fee to cross their land and hunt them. Still with some hard work and research those zero point units can still be loads of fun.

Was it easier to get a tag since it was a bow tag? Or did you go during rifle? I’ve spent hours researching units so far. We’re your best efforts spent doing your own research or talking with other who’ve been before? I’ve got a whole year to plan it out...and I’m not opposed to trying it with a bow, but think I would be just as happy with a rifle too.
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:09 pm

If you wanna go with bow you can buy otc in Idaho, Nebraska, Colorado, South Dakota, North Dakota and Montana you have to apply but you’ll get a tag. Nice thing with antelope is the price tag is less than other western tags.
huntinsonovagun wrote:
Ridgerunner7 wrote:Bow hunting pronghorn is an absolute absolute blast and probably one of the most challenging bow hunts if you’re going to spot and stalk. I went last year and I’m hooked. Going back again. You can get into Wyoming with zero points but be careful. It’s usually zero points for a reason. Often it’s limited public land . I picked is zero point unit and while it had plenty of public land 95% of it was landlocked by private land and you cannot legally access it. The landowners will often charge a big fee to cross their land and hunt them. Still with some hard work and research those zero point units can still be loads of fun.

Was it easier to get a tag since it was a bow tag? Or did you go during rifle? I’ve spent hours researching units so far. We’re your best efforts spent doing your own research or talking with other who’ve been before? I’ve got a whole year to plan it out...and I’m not opposed to trying it with a bow, but think I would be just as happy with a rifle too.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:03 am

huntinsonovagun wrote:

No, I believe you draw the tag and it’s good for either weapon. You have to purchase a bow stamp if you want to hunt them during archery. I bow hunted them and didn’t really have any interest in going with the rifle. I just did my own research and settled in on a zero point unit that had a good amount of public land. Only to find out that the majority of it was unusable unless you are willing to shell out some coin. Call and talk to the local conservation officer and they will be able to tell you what chunks of public are even accessible.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”