Broad head for elk/moose?

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

vtbuck
500 Club

Broad head for elk/moose?

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:31 am

My plans for a diy archery elk hunt in 2020 have me thinking about a lot of things. One question is how much do I need to beef up my archery tackle? I shoot 30" 400 grain trophy ridge arrows tipped with 100 grain grim reaper razortips.
Will this work or what do guys suggest looking at?

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
matt1336
500 Club

Re: Broad head for elk/moose?

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:32 am

I'm no expert but I'd think you'd want as much KE as possible. That means no mechanicals and a heavy arrow.....right?
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:00 am

I'd get some heavier arrows and cut on contract heads. Might even think about brass inserts to give you some extra weight. Keep these arrows separate from your whitetail setup and practice separately.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:28 pm

Yeah a heavier FOC is better. Along with cut on contacts. That being said. I killed all of my elk with 100 grain Muzzys on 2117 XX75 shafts. Don't know the actual weight but it's light and not much FOC. And I know alot of guys that used or are still using mechanicals.

Hit 'em in the boiler room and they go down. I admit I never got my broadhead to punch through the opposite side though. So my bloodtrails were sparse. But all of the ones hit in the lungs dropped in less than 80 yards.

What I've learned from the Dr. Ashbey reports has me going heavier in both FOC and arrow now. Even in my whitetail setups. You can find a suitable setup that will work for both. So you don't need to ever switch.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:06 pm

Same thoughts as Stash. If you have the time, read up and watch the videos from Dr. Ashby. When you watch a lot of videos, elk/whitetail, how many are getting pass thrus, not many. Some only get 6" penetration. Guys that are shortting heavy, can still reach out 70-100yds, and have the momentum to punch threw. Those are pretty common yardages shot out west. Just have to practice. You can get single arrows from Jerry at south shore archery. Not sure what you are shooting but experiment if you can. If u are at 70#s, and a 30ish draw, I found the black eagle carnivores in 200 spine to work well with heavy weight up front, yet being a lighter Gpi arrow to get you better foc. A good 2 blade single bevel can work wonders.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:34 pm

Do you guys have suggestions on arrows, inserts, spine, broedhead/weight? My draw length is 27.5". My draw weight is 62. I know I need more kinetic energy. Any suggestions to try would help. I think I'd like to do like Stash said and use this as a whitetail setup also.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:50 am

vtbuck wrote:Do you guys have suggestions on arrows, inserts, spine, broedhead/weight? My draw length is 27.5". My draw weight is 62. I know I need more kinetic energy. Any suggestions to try would help. I think I'd like to do like Stash said and use this as a whitetail setup also.

It's kinda personal!! Where does the perfect combo of energy and trajectory meet. For you!! I don't know about other stores/sites. But 3 Rivers Archery has kits available. Shaft kits and target point kits. You get 3 shaft sizes in a kit. 5 point sizes in a point kit. Then you play around with combos to get ones that will tune to your set up. From those you pick which one will give you an acceptable trajectory for you personally.

Dr. Ashbey states that 600 grains is kind of the magic number. Where you start getting good bone splitting performance. This is with a 2 blade single bevel 25 degree grind to the bevel broadhead.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:59 am

Ive been using Montech G5's for years. Love the cut on contact, single piece blades. I currently have 100 grain, but I'm thinking about stepping up the weight for this year's elk trip. I really need to get to work shooting and getting my arrows set up.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:34 am

IkemanTx wrote:Ive been using Montech G5's for years. Love the cut on contact, single piece blades. I currently have 100 grain, but I'm thinking about stepping up the weight for this year's elk trip. I really need to get to work shooting and getting my arrows set up.

Curious on your draw length and draw weight? Arrow weight? What arrow you're shooting?
Thanks!
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:00 am

vtbuck wrote:
IkemanTx wrote:Ive been using Montech G5's for years. Love the cut on contact, single piece blades. I currently have 100 grain, but I'm thinking about stepping up the weight for this year's elk trip. I really need to get to work shooting and getting my arrows set up.

Curious on your draw length and draw weight? Arrow weight? What arrow you're shooting?
Thanks!

I'll have to check when I get home next week. I haven't really spent much time on arrow setup in the past. I'm going to have to start doing some research.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:08 am

Can't go wrong with a Muzzy three-blade. I have heard of many elk and moose taken by them over the years. Toughest head out there in my opinion.
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:50 am

Check out QAD Exodus or NAP hellrazor.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
Wylee

Unread postby Wylee » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:52 am

I have been using for years 340g fmj. 150g three blade fixed head. Same for whitetail.
Wylee

Unread postby Wylee » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:19 pm

More importantly is the ability to talk elk. Too many hunters worry about set ups this and that. But what it comes down to is calling and shooting quickly in tight windows. I go west for 14-17 days and expect one clean shot on elk. That's 17 years talking. Jmo
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu May 18, 2017 2:04 pm

At lot of great advice given already. Any fixed blade head will kill an elk in the right spot on a broadside elk. If you want more margin of error shoot a tough COC head with high FOC (over 16% in my opinion).

My arrow went completely through the meaty part of both shoulders on a mature cow elk with a 4 blade Steelforce on my first hunt, 16% FOC, around 450 grain arrow. She went 30 yards. I didn't like the relatively weak aluminum ferrules on those so I switched to a 4 blade Mangus, about 17% FOC with a 470 grain arrow, the next elk hunt and shot completely through a medium sized bull with a pretty sharp angle raking shot. High FOC and a sharp, low cutting angle COC will blow through an elk like butter even with a medium weight arrow AND still stands a chance if your shot is forward in the shoulder. My admittedly rookie opinion is that elk are about twice as thick and tough as a big whitetail, but still only medium sized as compared to a moose. For moose the high FOC/low angle COC would be a must.

Lots of moose have been killed with 50 lb recurves and longbows...but you will notice those guys are shooting 600+ grain arrows with 2 blade all steel COC heads with optimal 3:1 cutting angles. An elk is twice as big as a big buck whitetail...and a moose is twice as big as an elk!!

My theory is that speed helps you hit game, weight helps you to kill it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”