Binoculars

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rich M
500 Club

Binoculars

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:40 am

Help me decide on binoculars for WY antelope hunting in 2017, with potential for elk or mule deer in a couple of years.

Seeing that 10x42 or 12x42 seem to be the most popular.

Also --- What BRAND? Budget is <$500.

Ghost Hunter

Re: Binoculars

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:53 am

Nikon
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:15 am

Nikon or vortex
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:25 am

For antelope it depends if your also going to use a spotting scope. A scope not only helps you identify if a buck is of the size you want. It also helps to better evaluate and plan your route to get close enough to an animal or herd.

If your going to just go the bino route. I'd personally go with more magnification. I'd also use a tripod and attach the binos to this. To make long periods of scanning for/observing animals. Less of a strain on the eyes.

As far as elk hunting I like an 8x42 sized bino. Little lighter and smaller.

That being said I know what it's like to have to watch ones budget. So a 10x42 or better yet IMHO 10x50 is a good compromise for both.

Not really up on the brands, but am consistently hearing good things about Vortex optics. Great quality for a lower price!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:16 am

I have a pair of Vortex Viper HD 10x42's and they are great for close and long range. I recently purchased the Vortex PRO GT tripod for my binos and it is like im looking through a brand new different set of binoculars. It is amazing the things you pick up when you have a steady view with the tripod. I have wide open fields that back up to woods behind my house and I can see deer easily from 1/4-1/2 mile away (with the tripod).

Whatever you decide, make sure you have a decent tripod! Its definitely worth it
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:44 am

Hunting out west I used a pair of 10x42 Nikon Monarch's. A good spotting scope is also highly recommended. I didn't have one back then but now have a Leupold. Good glass is well worth the money. Don't cheap out here. If your budget is only $500 find the best binocs you can get for that money. Hard to buy both quality binocs and spotting scope for that amount.
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:29 am

I have the Vortex Viper 10x42 and my hunting partner for out west has the Nikon Monarch (7 I think) in 10x42. Both binoculars are very good and are at the upper end of your price range. We use them for antelope and deer.

Spotting scopes are nice but IMO it depends on what type of hunting you are doing (glassing from a vehicle or going in a few miles or more) and the size of animal you are looking to shoot. We go in however far we want or need to so weight is a consideration and spotting scopes typically weigh more (depending on size and magnification) and take up more pack space. We both want to shoot something decent but we're not too concerned with scores of horns or antlers. Some guys are and that's fine. A spotting scope would be a benefit for being able to determine if there is a decent buck at a great distance and could save a lot of walking to find out that the buck you saw from a distance was smaller than you thought.

If you have to choose, I would say go with binoculars over a spotting scope.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:09 am

What about Cabelas Guide Series 10x42? Rumor has them being the same as Leupold Mojaves. Anyone ever use one?

I'm leaning towards just binoculars. Partner has spotting scope in case we need it.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:21 am

I like vortex. Can't beat the warranty. Like most have said don't be cheap. Good binos are pricey for a reason.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:53 am

I am very happy with the quality of the ED glass in my Alpen optics. I've compared them to Nikon Monarch and Zeiss glass and have been very happy not to have spent the extra money. It was better than the Zeiss glass and at least equal to the Monarch. Check them out - No fault lifetime warranty included.

https://www.alpenoptics.com/Binoculars.html

I have the Alpen Wings ED in 8x42, 8x20 and 10x25. I'd recommend the 10X42s for what you need. And you might still be able to get a spotting scope along with it and still be under your 500$.

I bought my first pair because there were glowing reviews on bird watching sites.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:45 am

Anything Leupold in your price range.
10x42...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:37 am

Nikon, Vortex or Leupold. Anything in 10x42 or 10x50 range. Don't be cheap. Glass in binos are what you are paying for. I would not go much higher that 10 or 12 power. If you do a tripod would be a must. Tripod would help anyway. Stuff look so much better when it is not moving around.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:51 am

Another vote for vortex. Great glass for the money. Great warranty
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:02 pm

Just went through all the research and comparing a bunch of options in person myself. Ended up going with Vanguard in both the spotting scope and the bino's. Great quality, same warranty and quite a bit cheaper. The locking eye adjustment is a really nice feature.
http://www.vanguardworld.us/nature_us/p ... s.html?p=2
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:32 am

If your buddie has the spotting scope, then go for the best glass in your budget. I've got Nikon, 8x42 I think. Buddie has some Ziess 10x50's. Wow, those are nice at dusk. If your doing some distace, 10x50 might be better out west. All the good affordable brands have been mentioned above.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”