EXPECTATIONS

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rich M
500 Club

EXPECTATIONS

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:01 pm

Wife is off, taking care of her sister.... I'm doing research, getting ready for an antelope hunt with a yet to be met, new friend.

Watching some hunting shows. I can't stand most of them - bad shots, egos, boastful proclamations, too much whispering for deaf ears, etc.

Having a few moments with an adult drink, my own thoughts, selfish thoughts, realistic un-sugarcoated thoughts. No distractions other than having to do my own laundry... :?

This applies to whatever we are hunting, wherever, and whenever. What do we expect? What do I expect? What do you expect?

Do you expect to shoot a B&C buck, a P&Y buck, a buck "characteristic: of the herd, a doe or a fawn?

Do we expect to hunt til we're exhausted every evening or do we give it a good go and save some energy to enjoy the night camaraderie, the camp fires, the stars, steam billowing from our breaths in the cold as we share stories of past hunts and finding common ground, whether they were successful or just fun hunts?

Do we work as a cohesive unit, all for 1 and 1 for all? Or do we say - I'm going over that ridge, you go where you want...

Do we step in front and ensure our success? Do we try to "win" or do we try to "help"?

Do we rejoice as a team? High 5s and true joy for the other's success - or do we sulk away, jealousy burning?

What about after our success? Do we continue the grueling daylight to darkness schedule to help our partner? Do we work harder to help than we did to succeed?

My partner for the hunt and I have gone over these very questions. Nothing like being in agreement. Proverbs says it is better to be on the roof than to put up with a cranky woman. Same thing for hunting with someone who is not in it as a team. Hide on the roof or go by yourself...

We're going antelope hunting, not as a team but as family. Figuring out which of us is responsible for what, seem like a fairly well oiled machine and we really haven't even started yet. He pisses someone off at a rest-stop & it is the 2 of us against what may be :angry-extinguishflame: . If I miss 6 and need another day to succeed - we're still on. He shoots one 4 miles back in at sunset - WE get busy. Food, gas, etc. split. Weakness for strength, strength for weakness. It's on.

Should be interesting to finally meet the guy in a few days. I have no reason to doubt, nor does he. We're hunters.

What do you expect from your hunting partners?

JakeB
500 Club

Re: EXPECTATIONS

Unread postby JakeB » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:33 pm

Excited for the hunt story! Live thread maybe??

Sounds like you guys have equal expectations, and I wish you guys the best!

As far as my hunting partners, well I have very few willing/able to hunt with me more then a few times a year. Rotating shift work gives me lots of time off during the week and little time off on weekends so that knocks out most guys. The others really aren't into taking serious hunting any further then talking about it over adult drinks. So mostly i'm hunting solo, which is ok with me. Also when I scout/hunt with the majority of guys they are obsessed with what I consider night time sign and it's kind of a drag. I know that massive rub 10' off the parking lot looks good but I doupt it was made during daylight.

My best bud was finally able to take a week off to hunt with me this year. We had a great time, he got his first deer ever and got it done with a bow too! When he sent me the text I jumped out my stand to head his way and congradulate him (he's been working on getting it done for a few years and wouldn't give in and use a gun). Got the meat on ice and celebrated the rest of the night around the campfire. Really enjoyed his success and wish I could see it more but with his kids, WIFE, and work schedule those trips will be few and far between.

I usually get to spend a little time hunting with my dad aswell, which I'm really enjoying more and more. Went from him setting me in his old climber as high as he could reach. To him tagging along with me and getting in the closer tree I picked for him with me going to the back. He's probaly the only person I actually can talk hunting with that isn't a bait pile food plot sitter around here.

Guy's that have a regular hunting partner, on the same page as them should really appreciate it. I would be willing to bet most beast are mostly solo hunters because they don't know anyone on the same page as them.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:15 pm

Rich M wrote:Wife is off, taking care of her sister.... I'm doing research, getting ready for an antelope hunt with a yet to be met, new friend.

Watching some hunting shows. I can't stand most of them - bad shots, egos, boastful proclamations, too much whispering for deaf ears, etc.

Having a few moments with an adult drink, my own thoughts, selfish thoughts, realistic un-sugarcoated thoughts. No distractions other than having to do my own laundry... :?

This applies to whatever we are hunting, wherever, and whenever. What do we expect? What do I expect? What do you expect?

Do you expect to shoot a B&C buck, a P&Y buck, a buck "characteristic: of the herd, a doe or a fawn?

Do we expect to hunt til we're exhausted every evening or do we give it a good go and save some energy to enjoy the night camaraderie, the camp fires, the stars, steam billowing from our breaths in the cold as we share stories of past hunts and finding common ground, whether they were successful or just fun hunts?

Do we work as a cohesive unit, all for 1 and 1 for all? Or do we say - I'm going over that ridge, you go where you want...

Do we step in front and ensure our success? Do we try to "win" or do we try to "help"?

Do we rejoice as a team? High 5s and true joy for the other's success - or do we sulk away, jealousy burning?

What about after our success? Do we continue the grueling daylight to darkness schedule to help our partner? Do we work harder to help than we did to succeed?

My partner for the hunt and I have gone over these very questions. Nothing like being in agreement. Proverbs says it is better to be on the roof than to put up with a cranky woman. Same thing for hunting with someone who is not in it as a team. Hide on the roof or go by yourself...

We're going antelope hunting, not as a team but as family. Figuring out which of us is responsible for what, seem like a fairly well oiled machine and we really haven't even started yet. He pisses someone off at a rest-stop & it is the 2 of us against what may be :angry-extinguishflame: . If I miss 6 and need another day to succeed - we're still on. He shoots one 4 miles back in at sunset - WE get busy. Food, gas, etc. split. Weakness for strength, strength for weakness. It's on.

Should be interesting to finally meet the guy in a few days. I have no reason to doubt, nor does he. We're hunters.

What do you expect from your hunting partners?

Great post! I think Jake may be right, you may be called upon to report a "live from the field" big game hunt this fall :dance:
Not all those who wander are lost...
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:22 am

Live from the field sounds fun...
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:51 am

Your going about it in the right way. Read an article years ago. The writer joked that choosing the right fishing/hunting partner. Was more important than choosing the right gal for your wife. :lol: :think: :whistle: But he 'was' half serious.

Personally some of the guys that came on hunts with my group of friends and I. Rubbed me the wrong way at times. I just shrugged it off. No sense in letting it ruin my vacation. We all kinda went our own way while actually hunting any way. My friends had 4-wheelers and I was on foot. Everyone that came along always did their fair share around camp though. That's an important one.

It is tougher if it's just the 2 of you and things go sour. Getting together now will help you both know what to expect. Especially if you continue to work together on the prep.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:23 am

Thanks, Stash!

A big 10-4 on everyone carrying their weight and not sweating the small stuff.

It is easy to get along when you are rested, what about the 4th 14-hour day in a row when you're worn down & tired from walking all day every day, and just plain cranky?
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:11 am

Rich M wrote:Thanks, Stash!

A big 10-4 on everyone carrying their weight and not sweating the small stuff.

It is easy to get along when you are rested, what about the 4th 14-hour day in a row when you're worn down & tired from walking all day every day, and just plain cranky?

Then it's time for a nap!!!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:31 am

:sleeping-blue:
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:04 am

Meet & Greet went well. Nice fellow.

We looked at 2 monster pronghorns at the Cabelas store and said "this is what big ones look like".

Grabbed a bite and discussed the trip. Decided that we are gonna do this.

Now we have to get into the small details, pull the license/tag, and wait 6 months.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:13 am

Yeah Bud! Super stoked to follow along. Pronghorn is on my bucketlist. Hope you have a blast. Man when I am hunting something for the first time. I shoot the first thing that gets me amped up. If it gets my blood pumping and I got to settle myself before I can shoot. That is my Trophy!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:37 am

This sounds like it's going to be quite an adventure! Looking forward to following along with your hunt.

I might have trouble hunting with someone I didn't know very well. I usually take a while to warm-up to people. As hunting partners go I have one (my brother-in-law), that I hunt with maybe 50% of the time. Other than that I hunt alone. I scout alone, most of the time too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:03 am

Good luck on your trip Rich! Sounds like a fun time.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:50 am

:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:05 am

Thanks, guys! It's exciting.

T,

Understand completely.

This is different.

1 - the hunting is visual vs setting up on sign. you actually see the critter and then do the hunt part, which is sneaking up on it
2 - new area, long ways from home, rough country, little to no cell coverage = need for a partner
3 - its just more fun to hunt with a buddy - pushing each-other to succeed

He's gonna go for the buck antelope, I'm gonna go for the does.
SO, we can focus on finding him that nice buck, enjoy the scenery, and as we look for his trophy - we're bound to find mine. Seems like a win-win situation.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:30 am

Rich M wrote:Thanks, guys! It's exciting.

T,

Understand completely.

This is different.

1 - the hunting is visual vs setting up on sign. you actually see the critter and then do the hunt part, which is sneaking up on it
2 - new area, long ways from home, rough country, little to no cell coverage = need for a partner
3 - its just more fun to hunt with a buddy - pushing each-other to succeed

He's gonna go for the buck antelope, I'm gonna go for the does.
SO, we can focus on finding him that nice buck, enjoy the scenery, and as we look for his trophy - we're bound to find mine. Seems like a win-win situation.

Rich, I agree completely with you! I would not be doing a hunt like that alone either.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”