Wisconsin "Go Wild" Licence system kill tags

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
Peeps22
500 Club

Re: Wisconsin "Go Wild" Licence system kill tags

Unread postby Peeps22 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:53 pm

Will be trying this tomorrow. Hopefully it goes a little smoother than today.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:57 pm

I needed to buy a new fishing license today so figured while I was at it bought all of my hunting tags too. I thought the Go Wild website was set up very well and easy to use. The process was smooth as can be.

I got buck only tags for archery and gun. I assume the option for antlerless tags will come later in summer when they figure out tag numbers. Doesn't matter to me since I don't need them anyway, just wanted to put that info out there in case anybody is wondering.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:36 pm

Print mine all online, there is a section when you log into your go wild account where it lists all your licenses, stamps, tags etc... you can print off there.

You can also purchase water proof paper online (amazon) but the ink will likely still run on it if it gets wet. I will just carry mine on me for verification and tagging if I leave my deer overnight. Overall I think its a good direction, but the system was a bit clunky to use at first.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:04 am

I carry a small plastic zip bag and piece of duct tape as part of my kill pack. Always on me. I validate the tag, put it in the bag, deal it and gold it up and then tape it to antler or leg. Been doing this for years and I've never lost a tag.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:04 am

I carry a small plastic zip bag and piece of duct or electrician tape as part of my kill pack. Always on me. I validate the tag, put it in the bag, seal it and fold it up and then tape it to antler or leg. Been doing this for years and I've never lost a tag.

Video link of my kill kit -I've used this from deer to elk

https://youtu.be/QTCvbkNvaOg

Last edited by DaveT1963 on Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:06 am

So how do you "validate" your turkey license with a pen? It just shows the stamp & license I bought. It has a blank area at the bottom. So do I just write in the date I shot it? Really no instruction at all on the DNR website!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:25 am

tgreeno wrote:So how do you "validate" your turkey license with a pen? It just shows the stamp & license I bought. It has a blank area at the bottom. So do I just write in the date I shot it? Really no instruction at all on the DNR website!

The tags i get require you to print them off online and then fill in the info and sign before attaching them. I don't hunt WI so not sure what they require. The video was shown to address the concerns listed above about how to keep any tag from getting tore up or wet while transporting the animal.

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:54 am

I wish they at least gave you the option if printing on the old style paper for a few dollars. That was nice. The last time I was in Colorado they had the same paper too.

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:22 pm

With the turkey season here. I fumbled around with the paper tag in a baggie and didn't like it. So what I came up with was a homemade lamination with clear packing tape and a fine tip sharpie instead of a pen. Works great and there strong and flexible. Fit in my wallet like dollar bills.

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:33 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:I carry a small plastic zip bag and piece of duct tape as part of my kill pack. Always on me. I validate the tag, put it in the bag, deal it and gold it up and then tape it to antler or leg. Been doing this for years and I've never lost a tag.

I do the same thing except I use a wire tie instead of duct tape.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:55 am

I printed my tags out yesterday and laminated them with clear packing tape. The whole process was easy and smooth. I agree though, it would be nice to have the koll tag still printed on the more durable green paper but i cant complain.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:43 pm

I like the packing tape idea. Gonna use that for mine too. 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:26 am

Just logged in and purchased my archery license. Pretty straightforward, you can even come back in and decide later which county you want a free zone 2 antlerless tag for.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:55 am

Not sure why they couldn't just come up with something like Iowa has. Basically like we had before with a sticker transportation tag that goes on the deer with a blank box to write your confirmation number on after electronically registered.

After learning more about not having to tag our deer it seems it's would be easier to just tag it right away like we did before. With the new law you have to put your own paper printed tag on the deer anytime you are out of sight of it. This includes your drive home if you happen to stop for gas and go in to pay or things like that where you are away from the deer for any reason.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:29 am

With more and more people buying tags online it's a cost thing. They've gotta be saving a ton on postage this way.

I'm gonna still do things kinda old school. Put my tag in a small ziplock and tape it on the leg for a doe and on the antlers for a buck. With a liberal amount of electricians tape it would take alot to lose it. Especially if your using a sled and or gamecart.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”