Best Big Game rifle under $600

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: Best Big Game rifle under $600

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun May 08, 2016 5:17 am

Tufrthnails wrote:If this is a out of the box go and hunt with package I would have to say a Savage 111 trophy Hunter XP in 300 win mag. It comes with a Nikon 3-9x40 that is better then most package scopes and the accutrigger which is a great hunting rifle trigger. You can pick it up for $500 to $525 then go and spend $65 on DNZ Game Reaper one piece mounts. The ones that come on it are junk.

i wasn't arguing about the 350 being easier and in my case more ethical (that heart pounding in my scope) then the 600yrds on big game (which I know is a bit hypocritical because I will shoot at a coyote much much farther away, but my end goal is to kill them not to recover and eat them), but I don't hunt elk or bear. I hunt turkeys, hogs, whitetail, and small game due to cost and location.

Oh and I never heard it called a toke. I've heard it called a prayer, foolish, irresponsible, and a few other things. Learn something everyday :D !

Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun May 08, 2016 5:38 am

Tufrthnails wrote:
Tufrthnails wrote:If this is a out of the box go and hunt with package I would have to say a Savage 111 trophy Hunter XP in 300 win mag. It comes with a Nikon 3-9x40 that is better then most package scopes and the accutrigger which is a great hunting rifle trigger. You can pick it up for $500 to $525 then go and spend $65 on DNZ Game Reaper one piece mounts. The ones that come on it are junk.

i wasn't arguing about the 350 being easier and in my case more ethical (that heart pounding in my scope) then the 600yrds on big game (which I know is a bit hypocritical because I will shoot at a coyote much much farther away, but my end goal is to kill them not to recover and eat them), but I don't hunt elk or bear. I hunt turkeys, hogs, whitetail, and small game due to cost and location.

Oh and I never heard it called a toke. I've heard it called a prayer, foolish, irresponsible, and a few other things. Learn something everyday :D !

I didn't have a recommendation my squirrel rifle (.22) cost over $600.00 with out a scope. I posted up on the rifle when I bought it a few years ago. I can knock a squirrels eye out of his head at 25 yards. ;) :lol: :lol:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun May 08, 2016 6:18 am

Stanley wrote:
I didn't have a recommendation my squirrel rifle (.22) cost over $600.00 with out a scope. I posted up on the rifle when I bought it a few years ago. I can knock a squirrels eye out of his head at 25 yards. ;) :lol: :lol:

LOL that is a good problem to have. None of my rifles have cost me over $600 initially (being the key word).
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun May 08, 2016 11:00 pm

A ruger american in 30-06 is another Meatgun that would be an option. I got my son a compact in .243win for deer and at 10yo he is pretty effective with it. It doesn't shoot as well as my savage, but it is much more of an out of the box gun. Some DNZ mounts and a Nikon is all he needs, but I keep him to 100 yard shots. I have no problem punching paper with it out to 300 yards and the gun is capable of more especially if I did a little work to it.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sun May 08, 2016 11:47 pm

Hit the pawn shop. Personally I like a 300WSM. Short actions tend to me more accurate and less recoil. Plus that's a bad little round IMO. The other rounds mentioned would do great as well though. I would hot all the local pawn shops and see what you come up with. You may find something great in that range. Estate sales too.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon May 09, 2016 1:43 am

Buckshot20 wrote:Hit the pawn shop. Personally I like a 300WSM. Short actions tend to me more accurate and less recoil. Plus that's a bad little round IMO. The other rounds mentioned would do great as well though. I would hot all the local pawn shops and see what you come up with. You may find something great in that range. Estate sales too.

You can also join different brand loyal forums and find some good deals on firearms. I am a member of SavageShooters and
RugerForum because I like those two and have seen some smoken deals typically guys like to post a bit lower price there then they do to a GunBroker type site. Here in my immediate area pawn shop owners are smoking crack on their prices, in Tampa I have found some really good deals. don't forget about the Gun shows. all that competition in the same room can drive some good deals.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon May 09, 2016 2:46 am

Yes there are guys that can hit at 600 yards. The list is much longer that can hit at 350 yards. I think this is fairly accurate. Throw in some anxiety, and the 600 yards becomes even harder.
Like I mentioned the real world is different from Hollywood. It is hard to talk about ethical shots with most guys because they don't have a good handle on their capabilities.

The only thing I know is a 350 yard shot is easier to attain for the average hunter, than a 600 yard shot. I know guys that can punch paper with great accuracy put a live target in front of them and it's a different story. My advice to the OP looking for a $600.00 rifle & scope or less; easier to find a $600.00 rifle & scope with 350 yard capabilities. Like others mentioned it's a lot about the optics when reaching out to those long distances.

I agree with this philosophy & quite frankly, in almost all cases, is the harsh reality.

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Tue May 10, 2016 12:41 pm

Whatever you go with, check on gunbroker.com and gunsamerica.com Don't just buy the best deal the first time you check, watch for a couple weeks and get an idea of the market. When you see the right deal, jump on it. I got my gun brand new for less than most used ones were selling for. Of course check the sellers reviews before bidding.

I went with a Tikka T3 Forester and got it for less than your price. There's lots of good guns out there, so pick one that you are comfortable with.

http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:35 am

check armslist.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”