2010 Colorado hunt

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

2010 Colorado hunt

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:46 am

Never have I hunted or even been to Colorado but this year I was talked Into going there by a good friend from Colorado. The hunt was not what I was expecting but none the less I enjoyed the scenery and also got to meet some fine people. What was so disappointing about the hunt was where 4 wheelers can drive and go. I've elk hunted 6 other times In Montana and In Idaho and never have 4 wheelers been allowed to go Into the mountains. Where I hunted this year was a different story unfortunately. Wish I would've known this prior as I wouldn't of gone then. On average I'd see 30 to 40 four wheelers a day. They pretty much could go anywhere they wanted to. I put on 6 to 8 miles a day on foot. I hunted as high as 12000 feet hoping to get away from people and 4 wheelers but these roads were everywhere. I had a GPS with but 90% of these 4 wheeler roads (old mining roads) weren't on the GPS and maps. I saw plenty of elk sign but I'm guessing the elk were on the move all the time due to the 4 wheelers.

On one occasion I had 2 cow elk at 30 yards but chose to let them pass as that's too far for my recurve. On this same hunt I had a 3x3 Muley buck at the same yardage, he too got the pass for the same reason. My closest encounter came with a cow elk the 2nd to last day. Had her at 17 or so yards but she wouldn't take that last step she needed to. She then turned 90 degree's and walked directly away from me not knowing I was there. That's elk hunting to a tee right there.

I was planning on staying out there for 10 days but I just couldn't stand the 4 wheeler BS anymore and packed It up and headed back to Minnesota and went back up to where we bear hunt and connected on a bear. So In the end It all worked out. The sad part Is I spent 1200.00 dollars on tags- either sex elk, either sex muley and a bear tag. Never saw one bear, saw 4 elk and saw about 10 muley's. What I learned from this hunt Is you've got to do your homework good. I didn't do mine enough as I never would've went here to begin with If I knew 4 wheelers were allowed pretty much everywhere.

Anyhow here's a few pictures of the scenery out there. Colorado has to be one of the most beautiful places In the world.

The guy In this picture Is Matt from Australia. of a good guy. This was his 1st ever elk hunt and 1st time ever In the states. We hunted together most of the time. Nice rub here eh?

My recurve laying against the rub.

Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Re: 2010 Colorado hunt

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:49 am

Thats to bad your trip didn't go as good as you may have wished. Thanks for sharing the story and great photos!!
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:07 am

Sorry it wasn't what you thought. Glad you had an ok time anyway.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:15 am

Awesome Pictures
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:25 am

Thanks for sharing! Too bad the 4-wheelers had to screw up your hunt. That really takes away from a great experience but glad you could still enjoy the trip.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:20 pm

Anytime your out hunting, its worth the experience. Looks like some awesome territory. 8-)
PeteJ

Unread postby PeteJ » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:39 pm

AWESOME! :D :D :D
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:49 am

Too bad the 4-wheelers had to screw up your hunt. That really takes away from a great experience
It sure did. To me this wasn't elk hunting at all but rather me trying to hide from 4 wheelers. I talked with my dad about this and he went to Colorado for 15 straight years but hasn't went since 1993 I believe. Never did he have to deal with 4 wheelers back In the day. These damn machines are everywhere now. I hate It!

but glad you could still enjoy the trip.
Yep, no doubt I still made the best of It and enjoyed the trip. Like I said, I met some really cool people that I'll be doing some hunting with once again.

Thanks all for the replys. :)
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:25 am

Schultzy,

I hunted over in the southwest area near Ridgeway back in 1993. We actually hunted public land right next to the Heath Ranch and the house where "True Grit" was originally filmed (John Wayne version...not the new one). I called in a nice bull for my buddy and watched him take it with his Black Widow at 15-yards. I had an opportunity with my recurve and couldn't get it done. The scenery was breathtaking and I want to get back there some day. I am sad to hear about all the quads out there. Colorado needs to change that law.

Were you there early or late Sept?

PLH

What time-frame were you out there?
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:35 am

I hunted over in the southwest area near Ridgeway back in 1993. We actually hunted public land right next to the Heath Ranch and the house where "True Grit" was originally filmed (John Wayne version...not the new one). I called in a nice bull for my buddy and watched him take it with his Black Widow at 15-yards.
I bet that was exciting!! That Is awesome!! When a traditional bow hunter can get an elk he has earned It and then some. Congratulation's to you guys!!

I had an opportunity with my recurve and couldn't get it done. The scenery was breathtaking and I want to get back there some day. I am sad to hear about all the quads out there. Colorado needs to change that law.
From what I've learned since this hunt Is that not all of Colorado Is like this. Some area's no 4 wheelers are allowed. Hope you can get back out there some day. Let me know where your thinking of going If you do. I may be able to help and steer you In the direction of no 4 wheeler territory. lol!! ;)

Were you there early or late Sept?

PLH

What time-frame were you out there?
September 13th I headed out there. Was planning on staying till the season closed (September 26th) but couldn't hack the 4 wheeler stuff anymore.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:47 am

I don't blame you. When I picture Colorado wilderness hunting, I picture elk bugling and untouched, unspoiled settings and rutted-up bulls.....not rutted-up quad trails!

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”