elk hunt

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

blizzardhunter
500 Club

elk hunt

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Mon May 18, 2015 12:32 pm

I drew a cow archery tag for the KY elk hunt. I've been told this is the hardest tag to fill. I've never elk hunted before. Should I try to do it myself or get a guide. There is not much open ground. I'll be hunting mainly hard wood timber.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dirt nap giver

Re: elk hunt

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Tue May 19, 2015 12:16 am

Nice!
As far as the guide/self choice. That would depend on how knowledgable you are about elk as well as the terrain. Are you able to scout?
I would likely hires guide for the first one, till I see how it goes and what to do, then I would try it alone. You can learn a lot rather quickly by hiring a guide.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Tue May 19, 2015 1:19 am

I have read a lot about elk but that's as far as my knowledge goes. I doesn't look likely I'll be able to scout, since I'm 6 hours away. Most guides won't take me because my tags too hard. For $500 I found a guide who pre scouts, tell you the general area where the elk are, and how he would hunt them. Do you think it's worth it.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue May 19, 2015 5:31 am

I've always been a doit myselfer.

That being said the elk in Kentucky are probably different enough than those in Montana that I hunted. I'd try to find others that have done the hunt. Dont know if you could get names from your State agency or not. If not the guide may be the way to go.

Out west the elk alwats related more to water. Especially secluded damp springs or heads of small streams. The best ones also had some grass growing around or in them.

The cows could aqlso be called in once in awhile with soft cow/calf vocalizations. Sometimes I even had them come in slowly to bugling. Calling cows is truly a game of patience. Do'nt forget your whitetail tactics. Sometimes a stand or blind can be effective if you find a god watering hole or travel route.

Good Luck have fun and share some updates.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Tue May 19, 2015 12:31 pm

Ask the DNR where the highest concentrations are where you will be hunting. Then call some of the private land owners in that area. A lot of the private land owners dislike the elk because of the damage they do.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Wed May 20, 2015 5:47 am

I just booked a guide. One of my hunting buddies has a friend that works with the elk. He said its hard to get permission from landowners without paying and even then it's still tough to get on their land. I thought about a DIY hunt on some of the public land but decided since this is the first time for me I would just go with a guide. Maybe I can learn enough to be more comfortable next time to go on my own. I've been told these elk are a completely different animal than out west.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”