External vs. Internal frame

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

External vs. Internal frame

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:37 am

I've done a fair amount of reading and research on the topic. Basically, I know that if I go internal frame I would get something "expandable" like the Eberlestock Just One or Blue Widow, or the Mystery Ranch Crew Cab, for the simple fact that you can use them as day packs as well as meat haulers. The downsides that I can see are weight (6-9 pound base pack isn't bad for a meat hauler, but using that same pack as a day pack and the weight seems unnecessary) and comfort. It seems like quite a few guys with the $300-400 packs complain about the comfort dropping off quite a bit after 50-70 pounds (from pack design and not just the fact that they're carrying more). Yet the really spendy packs apparently are better.

The other route would be external... something like the Cabelas Alaskan Outfitter frame. They're only a little over $100 and you can get a bag to go with. I'm almost thinking the bag wouldn't be the best option. I'm thinking something along the lines of what Dor does with a separate day pack. So going in, you have a duffel bag with spike camp and a day pack with hunting and survival necessities. You get to your camp, drop off the duffel bag and set up camp. Then, when you go hunting each day you only take the 2-4 lb base weight day pack. Shoot an animal, come back to camp, put camp back in the duffel and onto the frame. Head back to the animal and start taking everything back in trips. This would also be more convenient I would think for local hunting trips. It would work nicely for the BWCA bear hunt or canoe camping trips I'm thinking about. And the day pack would be useful for deer or turkey hunting. Heck, I wouldn't even need to buy a spike camp bag, I could use an old basketball duffel bag laying around (washed of course :lol: )

Does anyone have any opinions or experiences with either of these basic setups?

Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Re: External vs. Internal frame

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:03 am

Take a look at the Horn Hunter Full Curl. They are made in the USA, I have the Mainbeam, and the quality is top notch 8-)
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
the g1

Unread postby the g1 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:42 am

I have spent days wearing an Army issue rucksack. I would buy one on ebay. Many of them are like new condition.http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-ARMY-MOLLE-II-SDS-ACU-RUCKSACK-digital-BACK-PACK-field-frame-USGI-VGcondition-/191041279151?_trksid=p2054897.l5673
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:24 am

Ahh, more options!!! I checked out the outfitter frame at Cabelas today. It was pretty nice. I really like the video review on that Horn Hunter Full Curl system as well. I saw a review on bowsite where a guy logged over 100 miles with 50-80 pounds in that pack, using just the frame plus a large stuff sack and fanny pack instead of the stock full system.

Also, I think I may have just stumbled upon the answer....

http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-OutdoorZ-Commander-Freighter-Inches/dp/B004R7L7YU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Frame plus bag weighs 7.3lb. Bag capacity is 5250 cu in (86L) and is removable. The only thing I don't like is that the hip belt straps tighten by pulling outwards instead of inwards. The PRICE!!!! $109.78 on sale for both items. Normally I'd be skeptical but there's 153 Amazon reviews with an average 4.7 out of 5 star rating. That's pretty dang good. Not camo, but oh well. The only thing I'd really like to be camo is a separate day pack I'd strap to it.

The frame itself is about $70 on Amazon, $129.99 on their website.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004R7L17I/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:37 am

I have a horn hunter mainbeam too. It's a nice pack, but if I were out in the bush with a lot of weight to carry, I would use an external frame.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:44 am

Does it need to be camo? REI Is having a big sale for it's members, might find a good deal there?
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:49 am

Doesn't need to be camo, at least not the main pack and frame. I actually used to work at an REI. I don't remember them ever really selling external frame packs. It was always internal frame 1 piece, backpacking packs that wouldn't be ideal for packing out meat. I could always check though.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:26 am

I did 6 months worth of research on packs, I wound up with a gregoary z65 pack, 4.3 pounds, has internal frame, can handle 60 pounds. Everyone told me think like a back packer and stay away from hunting packs. I got mine used for 90 bucks it's gray.

Hold 3900 cubic inches.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:17 pm

keb wrote:I did 6 months worth of research on packs, I wound up with a gregoary z65 pack, 4.3 pounds, has internal frame, can handle 60 pounds. Everyone told me think like a back packer and stay away from hunting packs. I got mine used for 90 bucks it's gray.

What are the logistics behind using that pack? I'm envisioning you set up camp and just use the same pack each day with hunting necessities (which is no issue at only 4.3lb). Then when you shoot something, just take a boned out quarter at a time with a meat sack back to the vehicle, and one final trip to bring camp out? I remember Gregory was one of the finer packs we sold at REI. I do like the backpacker's mentality when it comes to cookware, stoves, and general ultralight camp gear. My only concern is the overall versatility of a pack that maxes at under 4000 cu in. (Thinking if I ever need to carry a moose quarter, or logs to a bear bait, etc.) Are there ever any times you wish you had more space, or a shelf? Is it easy to rig it to hold a bow or rifle?
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:28 pm

I ended up with a Tenzing TZ4000 last year. It zips down small and then opens up two more times. Used it in MT for elk and here in the UP for the all day still hunts on the remote island I hunt. Its so comfortable that I didn't notice carrying the couple extra pounds the pack weighs. SUPER comfortable pack.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:52 am

My Gregory was purchased for high country mule deer hunt, I can get 5 to 7 days worth of gear in it, all light weight backpack gear. I'm at 32 pounds with 5 days food, that includes tripod and spotter and no water, food per day is 1.5 to 2 pounds, so 7 to 9 days will fit in it.

1st load back out will be cape horns and as much meat as possible, 2nd trip hopefully the rest of the meat and a few if not all camp items. If I have to make 3 trips, I have to make 3 trips.

I'm not going to load more than 50 to 60 on a trip, packing meat. I can day hunt with this pack, there is lots of good reviews on rei 85, kelty coyoyte and numerous others, most of the old school guys who live in that country still run keltys.

If I was to elk hunt, I think I would get what I could and spend the 300 on a packer to get it out.

bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:17 am

I ended up ordering the Alps Outdoorz Commander. I just couldn't get over the cost and reviews. Pack is bigger than I need at 5250 cu in. But extra space can just be compressed anyway. I'll replace the pin rings with cotter pins or similar. The pack weighs 7.5lb but you can remove the load shelf and top bar to get it down to 5.5 if you want. Once I get it I'll start doing some test hikes and overnight stays at a hilly state park a half hour away and can give some feedback.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Exophysical

Unread postby Exophysical » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:24 am

I cant imagine using an internal frame pack for hunting big game, I've used a few different external frames and I think they are the way to go. I usually tie an empty day pack onto my frame pack somewhere, once I've made camp I strip my big pack and bedroll off the frame and tie my day pack on and use that for day hunts. Nothing beats a pack frame for packing quarters and it makes a nice steady rifle rest if you need to take a long shot. My current pack is nothing to brag about, when (if?) it breaks I'm going to get a Bullpack frame and just strap one of my smaller Duluth canoe packs onto it, that wont be the lightest of packs but it will probably be the last one I ever need to buy.
They say millwrights can fix anything except a broken heart, but I've even got a tool that can do that!
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:16 am

I was able to get some use out of the pack bear hunting in the BWCA. I put all my camping gear, rain gear, and camera gear in the pack. Then I carried the treestand, cased rifle, and scent separately. When going hunting I could remove the pack from the frame, put my stand sticks, camera arm, rifle, game bags, and tarps on the frame, and carry the scent separately. Worked pretty slick.
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:42 pm

I have two internal frame packs. My wife and I used them a lot for camping and hiking trips. We climbed longs peak in Colorado with about 40 pounds of gear each. The most important think in my opinion is having proper adjustments to the weight centered on your hips. A kidney belt,padded should, and chest strap help significantly with heavy packing.

I just purchaesd a molle ii frame, straps, and kidney belt for packing my stands and sticks in. The straps and belts have all the adjustments you need for a heavy pack. And you can strap a simple sinch sack to the molle frame to pack a variety of things in and out... I paid $35 for my straps, kidney belt, and molle frame off eBay.. For a good internal frame back pack you can spend a couple hundred for a good one but they last forever.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”