Disgust for Hunting Shows.

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

trad4life

Disgust for Hunting Shows.

Unread postby trad4life » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:09 am

[size=150] Hunting is starting to look like the Bass fishing tournament shows on the TV. That isn’t good, hunting shows are supposed to be something the outdoor world can utilize to make a differences in a positive way and below I put some things I thought I could bring to out attention. If they do or don’t make sense, that is up to you but I jotted down things that came to mind.
Tred Barta, love him or hate him he was a special figure on TV when his show was on the air. I remember Tred running around chasing black bear, turkeys, elk, geese, whitetails, and other creatures and about 70% of the time he didn't get one. Now what is the fun of watching someone on tv not get an animal? well the thing is we can all relate to Tred more then to the people on Driven TV, Bucks of Tecomate, Bone Collector, or The Crush. The reason I watched Mr. Barta was because he was different from everyone else. He dared to be different, because he actually hunted. Sure I didn’t agree with some shots he took, but he actually went out on public land and hunted. Tred didn't take sponsors or push advertisements during his shows, he didn't shoot monster deer every time or even see them, he didn't need to shoot the latest and greatest bow out there. Everyone gets caught up in these things and forgets what hunting is all about. Having fun even when you don't get an animal, Tred preached that.
Another thing I hate about hunting shows is how they push every product and sponsor they have. I use camouflage and scent away and a tree stand but honestly stop doing it. They are annoying.
The music played on the shows are god-awful, I want to hear the animals and the leaves rustle in the wind after a slight breeze or the crunch of the leaves in the fall as the deer come. The music takes away from the hunt.
I also look at TV shows and shake my head when they say “team Hoyt” or “team bone collector”. Why? I don’t need a team name to go out and hunt, I don’t need to be associated with a product that I use. If I had a team we would be in dead last why? Because hunting isn’t a competition, I could careless how many deer I shoot or my hunting group. We have fun.
This leads me to another thing. Professional hunters? Really? That is a hunting title people give to themselves to make them feel important and look like big people. if you want to test your hunting skill and knowledge I would recommend Jim Shockey to come on to Wisconsin and bow hunt the national forest with me for some mature bucks without any bait. Id love to see him try.
I remember watching Larry Potts hunt on TV and he shot a big deer (of course cause he is the "all mighty Professional Deer Hunting Machine") and he starts yelling and fist pumping like a immature idiot. Seriously? I understand the adrenaline but I don't do that because getting a deer is a privilege and should have a moment of silence, not a touchdown celebration. Yelling and fist pumping is disrespect to that animal in my opinion.
Another thing is how I never learn anything anymore from the shows. I don’t care if a guy on the TV shoots a deer that’s been corn feed, I don’t hunt anywhere near corn or crops. I don’t care how much private land you own because I hunt public. This is why I look for information elsewhere. The Hunting Beast is amazing because we are all average guys who share a common interest and I thank Dan for this.
[/size]

OH nontypical
500 Club

Re: Disgust for Hunting Shows.

Unread postby OH nontypical » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:45 am

There are some good some bad but I don't really take them seriously. Most are filmed at outfitters and few hunting stars could kill a decent deer on any other type of property. Driven TV is a joke, and I'm also sick of Tiffany parading around saying BBD, BBD (don't really care how she looks)! I am all for female role models in hunting but I doubt Nicole and Tiffany could find a deer on their own

As far as Stan Potts goes he did kill some great bucks on public before he started hunting outfitters every other week but he is a little over the top.

My biggest concern with these shows is that they portray the idea that there are 160" bucks behind every tree and now even kids are hesitant to shoot a doe or small buck. :doh:
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:39 am

trad4life wrote: ......hunting shows are supposed to be something the outdoor world can utilize to make a differences in a positive way ................ Another thing is how I never learn anything anymore from the shows. I don’t care if a guy on the TV shoots a deer that’s been corn feed.....

Hunting shows are for entertainment and advertising. That's all, nothing more.

trad4life wrote: The Hunting Beast is amazing because we are all average guys who share a common interest and I thank Dan for this.
[/size][/size]

You can learn something here. Welcome to the beast.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:43 am

I stopped watching those shows years ago.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:46 am

When I find myself being angry at a guy on TV I just tell myself all the hard work I put in to kill mine.

Sad part is some tv celebrities just get left off at a stand on property theve never seen before and a few hours later kill a giant. I don't think it's luck, it's the ranch or outfitter doing their homework long before celebrity arrives.

The advantage to the outfitter is promoting on television. It's all business.
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:49 am

To each their own. Its a business and they have to make money somehow. I cant stand any of them, so I dont watch. Well the majority I should say. Only time ill watch that crap.is with some buddies to laugh at it. If someone payed me a crap load of money to promote scent killer I would, even though I know its a gimmick. What I cant seem to figure out is that there are so many ppl out there that watch this stuff and actually believe the guy they just watched get put in a tree stand on an outfitter shoot a buck is a good hunter.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:17 pm

Czabs wrote: If someone payed me a crap load of money to promote scent killer I would, even though I know its a gimmick.

:shock:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:30 pm

I get where you are coming from Trad. I watch some shows when I'm bored, more than a few I can't make it through a whole episode. I do enjoy seeing the large bucks they target, even if it is not reality for most of us.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:38 pm

The only show I enjoy is Jim Shockey because I appreciate the respect he has for the animals he hunts and how he promotes and protects are our hunting rights.

He hunts in wild places I will never be able to go and I find that far more interesting than these people that kill huge bucks on highly managed properties.

JohnnieU

Unread postby JohnnieU » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:17 pm

Hunting shows are for entertainment and advertising. That's all, nothing more.

That pretty much sums it up.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:23 pm

Dewey wrote:
Czabs wrote: If someone payed me a crap load of money to promote scent killer I would, even though I know its a gimmick.

:? :shock: :naughty:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:56 pm

BigHunt wrote:
Dewey wrote:

:? :shock: :naughty:

I don't think its a big deal, how many millions of people work in sales? They get paid to sell a product, any product, its really no different than any other industry. We might take it more to heart because we are hard core hunters but how many sales people wouldn't jump ship for more $$$?
Longbow

Unread postby Longbow » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:46 pm

Well said Trad. Most these shows are beyond irritating. Many of them should go into the music industry where they can make more rock music videos.

VH1 x Home Shopping Network

trad4life

Unread postby trad4life » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:48 pm

Yeah these we just things I thought of when I was watching the TV and how I thought i should vent about it. thanks for the input.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:29 pm

I like the shows that are average joes, there used to be a DVD called team backwoods or something, it was great, they had sponsors but hunted their own land or land the scouted themselves etc. Also got a lot of kids involved. I don't watch the crush, Tiffany is a nice lady but her job is to shoot big deer and look pretty doing it, there isn't a 200 person deep line waiting to see Lee. That's the same for driven with Pat and Nicole, like the people hate the show with all the 2nd and 3rd angles, when you are stalking a deer the camera man is not in front of you crawling backwoods while filming you, the animal is long dead in a cooler when they shoot that garbage. The only one I like and respect is Greg Miller, he cut his teeth hunting ground like the rest of us and he can still do it, he does a lot of outfitters because they have to kill bucks, its their job.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”