Elk Hunting in Colorado

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

buck_junkie

Elk Hunting in Colorado

Unread postby buck_junkie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:50 am

I have two buddies from work going Elk hunting for the first time the first week of September. I wasn't able to go this time but hopefully I can go on one of the future hunts. Their going to Saguache, CO on 18,000 acres of private land. It's 3 hours west of Colorado Springs and it's the outfitters first year for guiding hunts. I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with the area or you have any tips I can tell them like something they may need to pack with them. Something that can help them out on their first Elk hunt out west.

tmoney22

Re: Elk Hunting in Colorado

Unread postby tmoney22 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:18 am

I not too familiar with that area as I do my "west" hunting in Wyoming. But first off I hope they have been hitting the gym. You put on a ton of miles and being in your best shape is a must. That goes hand and hand with having good boots. From my experience, do not skimp on them. I paid close to 300 for my pair and that was after my first year with a cheap pair that killed my feet. Also a lot of practice shooting, a good rangefinder with ARC is a great tool. I wish them the best in their adventure.
buck_junkie

Unread postby buck_junkie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:02 pm

I think so far so good I know they have been running and shooting a lot and they both paid big bucks for their boots, the finder with ARC, not so sure of kind of doubt it. I'll pass along the good luck to them, thanks.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:10 am

I couldnt agree more with what tmoney22 said. Good boots are key, but you still may get some pink heel. At the first signs of any discomfort to your heel, stop and put duct tape right there.

And carry some duct tape with you at least in your truck. And a good folding knife.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”