MN moose mortality ... wolves ...

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Re: MN moose mortality ... wolves ...

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:10 am

One thing to keep in mind that hasn't been stated yet in this thread, is that where deer populations bloom, we usually see moose populations decline.

Although I don't have a direct sourced to quot here, it's generally said in conversation that deer Carry brain worm disease without it affecting them. But because they browse where Moose browse, Moose will get the disease and it kills them.

Where there are deer in North Western Ontario, it is in historical moose strongholds. Most of those areas are all pretty much deprived of Moose today. This may be what is going on in a lot of your areas where you are describing moose population declines.

The wolves will help for sure (a pack will take one down every 7 -10 days if they specialize on that prey item). But if climate change allows deer to move in, they will overtake the moose populations as well. If the DNR is issuing more tags than the population can withstand is is just one more factor.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Dhurtubise
500 Club

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:17 am

bigwoodsmn wrote:Edit ... that is a giant pike!! I'm looking for a buck half of that 510. I actually stumbled on the Hunting Beast site searching Google for deer hunting in Tofte, the Gunflint, Superior National, etc... tracker Noble Carlson etc...

Thanks bwmn

Exophysical

Unread postby Exophysical » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:01 pm

Dhurtubise wrote:One thing to keep in mind that hasn't been stated yet in this thread, is that where deer populations bloom, we usually see moose populations decline.

Although I don't have a direct sourced to quot here, it's generally said in conversation that deer Carry brain worm disease without it affecting them. But because they browse where Moose browse, Moose will get the disease and it kills them.

Where there are deer in North Western Ontario, it is in historical moose strongholds. Most of those areas are all pretty much deprived of Moose today. This may be what is going on in a lot of your areas where you are describing moose population declines.

The wolves will help for sure (a pack will take one down every 7 -10 days if they specialize on that prey item). But if climate change allows deer to move in, they will overtake the moose populations as well. If the DNR is issuing more tags than the population can withstand is is just one more factor.

SRD has also made this connection in Alberta, however the way they explain it the more deer you have the more wolves you have, thus the moose don't do well. I'd be inclined to believe this is true, on my river hunts I get far enough back into the boreal that there are no deer, there does seem to be both better moose populations in these areas as well as far less wolf sign. At one point the moose, elk, and wolves could keep a good balance. On years with little snow, or where the snow developes a good crust the wolves do well, years where there is deep snow with little crust they decline and the moose do better. I was told by a fish cop in Alaska that the major factor up there is still the snow crust, it determines how the moose will over winter. With Whitetails now ever more prominent in the mix this doesn't happen any more, wolves can effectively take down deer even in unfavorable snow conditions and will do well in winters which would have typically seen a decline in the wolf population they still come through well. As well the whitetail exist in far greater densities than moose and can support wolf populations that are far greater than the original eco-system ever could support, more bad news for the moose.

I understand the sentiment that we should just let nature run its course but IMO at this point we've messed with nature to the point that this just doesn't work anymore, we need to manage for sustainability and that includes the wolves. As well I think that in MN they aren't contending with un regulated hunting like we do in Canada. In Canada overhunting is deffinatly a problem because a huge portion of the moose killed every year are never tagged, and our current system has no way of regulating first nations hunting. In MN, at least as far as the Moose hunt goes, I suspect that it is far more tightly managed, if your cutting tags back and the moose numbers are still falling then there are only so many things to look at.
They say millwrights can fix anything except a broken heart, but I've even got a tool that can do that!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:21 pm

We don't have Wolves in the Northeast but declining Moose numbers have been on the rise the past few years.
Ticks appear to be the main culprit...

I don't see any mention of this in the studies, do you have Ticks up there?

http://www.vnews.com/sports/9348597-95/ ... population

http://www.wildlifemanagementinstitute. ... &Itemid=54
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Dhurtubise
500 Club

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:23 am

Here is the lowdown on brain worm (just found it now)
Definitely better than my hearsay.

Exophysical

Unread postby Exophysical » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:43 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:We don't have Wolves in the Northeast but declining Moose numbers have been on the rise the past few years.

Yes, we have ticks here. They are more or less an ongoing pest that the moose have just evolved to live with. Some years they kill more moose than others, I think they are more of just an aggravation to the moose that coupled with other stresses, such as a hard winter or being pushed around by humans or other animals, can become fatal. Personally I have a hard time with the idea that ticks could be responsible for a huge drop in the moose population, especialy in just one region. They are one of many parasites that moose have lived with for thousands of years, and its a pest that they deal with pretty much wherever there are moose. Unlike wolves, hunting pressure, habitat loss, and apparently brain worms I don't think anything has changed the moose/ tick relationship in recent years.

Another way in which wolves could possibly effect moose populations is that there are 2 stage parisites that require both wolves and moose to survive, such as the lovely tapeworm cysts that I typically find when I butcher an older moose. With the wolf populations coming back so will these parisites, not sure how big of a factor that would be.

Its always puzzled me why the US never seemed put half the effort into protecting and bringing back their moose populations that they have in bringing back the wolf? Hands down I think practicaly everyone ( other than a few misguided hippys) would rather have moose than wolves.
They say millwrights can fix anything except a broken heart, but I've even got a tool that can do that!
Dhurtubise
500 Club

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:23 pm

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/volunteer/se ... nworm.html

Sorry forgot to link it last time I was on.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:27 pm

Dhurtubise wrote:The moose population in the boundary waters will pretty much always be healthy. No matter what, it will get a steady infusion (immigration) from Canada as moose are not turned around at customs. ;)

:lol:
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:32 pm

Exophysical wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:We don't have Wolves in the Northeast but declining Moose numbers have been on the rise the past few years.

Yes, we have ticks here. They are more or less an ongoing pest that the moose have just evolved to live with. Some years they kill more moose than others, I think they are more of just an aggravation to the moose that coupled with other stresses, such as a hard winter or being pushed around by humans or other animals, can become fatal. Personally I have a hard time with the idea that ticks could be responsible for a huge drop in the moose population, especialy in just one region. They are one of many parasites that moose have lived with for thousands of years, and its a pest that they deal with pretty much wherever there are moose. Unlike wolves, hunting pressure, habitat loss, and apparently brain worms I don't think anything has changed the moose/ tick relationship in recent years.

[glow=red]Another way in which wolves could possibly effect moose populations is that there are 2 stage parisites that require both wolves and moose to survive, such as the lovely tapeworm cysts that I typically find when I butcher an older moose. With the wolf populations coming back so will these parisites, not sure how big of a factor that would be.[/glow]
Its always puzzled me why the US never seemed put half the effort into protecting and bringing back their moose populations that they have in bringing back the wolf?[glow=red]Hands down I think practicaly everyone ( other than a few misguided hippys) would rather have moose than wolves.[/glow]

Good post. Didn't know all the details. Thanks!

I hate wolves!

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”