Wyoming DIY Bighorn Mountains Elk/Mule Deer

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tadmdad
500 Club

Wyoming DIY Bighorn Mountains Elk/Mule Deer

Unread postby Tadmdad » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:28 pm

Well this years mountain hunt is complete and in the memory bank.

5 of us on this hunt, with 2 elk tags, and 3 mule deer tags. This hunt put us to the test and we were prepared.
To say it was cold is a understatement.

First day of the hunt was 10/15, we are on the mountain at 4:45 am, conditions 10" of fresh snow, 8 degrees and 35 mph NW winds, basically a white out. With these conditions we are the only group on the mountain, pickups, wheeled atv's aren't moving through the snow. By 9 a.m., 2 buddies are tagged out, 4x4 mule deer and 5x5 elk are on the ground.
We have them boned and packed out by noon. At 4 p.m. another buddy is tagged out with a 5x5 mule deer, we bone and pack the deer out. By the end of day 1, I am the only one left with 2 tags to be filled.

Day 2 it continues to snow, by the time the weather breaks on day 3 we have 20" inches of new snow.

View from base camp, we are the only hunters making it over the top of the mountain.

Tracked ATV's, horses or mountain sleds are the choices.

The coulees that were holding plenty of elk and deer a few days before, with the snow and conditions the migration is in full swing and the hunting is becoming tougher, with less animals each day. The wintering grounds in this area are in Montana and out of our hunting area, we see many migration trails covered with tracks moving north.

Early on day 4 we cut tracks of a herd of about 20 elk moving north, we get in front of the herd and try to close the distance, only to see them go over the top of a ridge in front of us, out of range. We do this several times throughout the day, only to be out manuevered. As the sunsets over the mountain, we come over a ridgetop and on top of the herd. We spot each other about the same time, the herd scatters, 3 elk split off and travel down a steep ravine below us. My buddy quick calls out the range, 382 yards. Bull is in the back, calf, and lead is a cow. I have a cow tag for this hunt, identify the lead cow, and squeeze the trigger, the cow drops. We both start the celebration, and high 5, with in seconds my buddy hollers, the cow is heading for cover. Quickly I settle in for a followup shot, and squeeze the trigger just as the animal goes into heavy cover, all this happens in less than 30 seconds. It takes us about 2 minutes to followup the shot in waist deep snow, we follow the track about 50 yards into cover and the animal jumps up and takes off, we decide to back out and follow up the track in the morning.

Day 5, all 5 of us follow up on the track. We find the bed from the night before and have a solid blood trail to follow. Expecting to have to follow up with a shot on a wounded animal, we move very slow. After following the track about 150 yards, we spot the rear end of the elk sticking out of a deadfall. Moving slowly I come around the deadfall, expecting to finish this off......Holy Crap....buddy says What?......it's a Bull.

We have all had that sinking feeling when something goes wrong.....tell you guys what, I almost puked. We all discuss what we are going to do now, one of my buddies says, "they can confiscate all of our guns, gear and vehicles". Think about this for a moment. And tell my buddies I'm just going to turn myself in and if they help bone and pack the bull out. I will stand up to whatever happens and make it straight. But i also tell my buddies, I know that the first shot was on the lead cow, and we have another animal down. And sure enough, we followup the other track, and within 70 yards, we find the dead cow. Now we have 2 elk to pack out, tell you guys what......that is alot like work.

When we get back to base camp, I call the Wyoming hotline and report myself. The local game warden returns my call within a few minutes, I tell him what has happened and where our camp is located. Within a hour he is at our camp, I tell him the story and what happened. He asked quite a few questions, checks all of our licenses, animals, kill tags, guns everythings is in order. I have explained to him that this is my responsibility and will deal with the consequenses and didn't want anything to happen to any of my buddies. At which point he explains to me all the things that he could do in this situation, most of which aren't to pleasant. Then with a big smile on his face, tells me that he is not going to do these things, but he is going to consficate the bull and write me a ticket for "over possesion" being that I was honest and turned myself in. So he writes me a ticket for over possesion, the meat he is going to donate to a family where the husband was hurt and been out of work, so the meat will not go to waste. Then he gives me a unexpected compliment. He said. "In all the years of being a game warden, 95% of the hunters would have either walked away from that bull, or tried to sneak out the meat and get away with a illegal animal, and the other 5% would have turned themselves in, but would have told him where the animal was laying, but he had never had someone bone and pack a illegally taken animal out and turned themselves in, because it is alot of work." I replied " It is alot of work" Then he says, " by the way, 400 yard, steep down hill shot on a running animal with low light, that's a heck of a shot, you could've missed" Said to him " yes I wish I would have, but I didn't" We all started laughing at that point.

magicman54494
500 Club

Re: Wyoming DIY Bighorn Mountains Elk/Mule Deer

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:59 pm

Awesome hunt. Too bad about the bull though.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:51 pm

Looks like a fun hunt! 8-)

I respect you for doing the right thing and admitting your mistake. Stuff like that happens and being honest is always the best decision.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:57 pm

Dewey wrote:Looks like a fun hunt! 8-)

I respect you for doing the right thing and admitting your mistake. Stuff like that happens and being honest is always the best decision.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

X2
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:27 pm

Lot of respect for you doing the right thing... But, anybody that knows you, knows that is the only decision you could make. Thanks for sharing the story, it will inspire others.

How much was the ticket?
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:53 pm

your my heroTony.....

Stand up guy :clap:

Congrats on the hunt.........stuff happens. You made the right call
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:09 pm

8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:09 am

Congrats on the hunt and kills. Looks like a good time even tho it was all snow :mrgreen:

You don't find many stand up guys like you. I tip my hat to you.
If you're ever anywhere around western Kentucky and need anything, just give me a shout. I'll buy you supper, breakfast, or a cup of coffee, whatever. Great job.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:06 am

Great write up Tad! Too bad about the bull, you did the right thing :clap:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:32 am

Way to do the right thing. Glad the Warden didn't throw the book at you. Sounds like a hard, but fun hunt.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:36 am

Sorry to hear about the ticket....but you did the right thing. That looks like some intense weather.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:59 am

Great story all the way around - it happens...

Integrity is doing the right thing when no ones looking!
Tadmdad = Integrity
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:56 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Great story all the way around - it happens...

Integrity is doing the right thing when no ones looking!
Tadmdad = Integrity

Ill x2 that one.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:48 am

dan wrote:Lot of respect for you doing the right thing... But, anybody that knows you, knows that is the only decision you could make. Thanks for sharing the story, it will inspire others.

How much was the ticket?

Believe the warden let me off pretty easy. Ticket was $420, WY elk license cost is $577. He also told us if it was his choice he wouldn't have issued a ticket, but I broke the law and he had to do his job. He earned my respect for being straight with us, he could have done much worse if he chose too.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:55 am

Bigdaddy-yoyo wrote:your my heroTony.....

Stand up guy :clap:

Congrats on the hunt.........stuff happens. You made the right call

Thanks Andy.....have thought about what happened in that 30 seconds and can't say if I had to do it over again probably wouldn't have done much different, other than making sure of my target. But these things happenn fast and as a hunter we have the responsibility to the animal to make a quick and humane kill, and that was what my thought was on the followup shot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”