THE RUT!!!

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

liv4rut

THE RUT!!!

Unread postby liv4rut » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:44 am

I have been seeing bucks chasing does already! I hunt in Illinois by the Mississippi river. Last night was an awesome night! Anybody else seeing what I am seeing?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dreaming bucks

Re: THE RUT!!!

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:50 am

are you seeing young bucks, or mature bucks chasing?

liv4rut

Unread postby liv4rut » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:01 am

Biggest one I saw was 130". My buddy seen one that was 150" bumping does in a fresh picked corn field.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:06 am

Cold weather is gonna be good this next week :L:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
liv4rut

Unread postby liv4rut » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:13 am

IT SEEMS EARLY TO ME? BUT A FEW YEARS AGO I DO REMEMBER SEEING SOME EARLY CHASING GOING ON THOUGH. GOING ON VACATION STARTING ON OCT.23-NOV.1!!!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:15 am

Oct 22 - Nov 1 is my favorite time of year to hunt a particular buck (other than 1st week of season) as he will likely be in his core area. After Nov 1st your scouted buck could be anywhere....
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:36 am

A small number of does go into estrus and are bred very early every year. I have seen this as early as the first week of October. The peak is still a few weeks away.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:46 am

Dewey wrote:A small number of does go into estrus and are bred very early every year. I have seen this as early as the first week of October. The peak is still a few weeks away.
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I used to have a spot where this happened the end of September every year. It just quit one year & I figured somebody must have shot the old doe or she died of old age. A massive (12'-15') scrape would open up briefly about this time and then it would go cold until later in October. I miss that spot.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
liv4rut

Unread postby liv4rut » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:10 am

Heading to stand right now! Hopefully "super8" shows up!!!

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:04 am

You always get some kind of odd ball thing to happen in an area. I saw a spotted fawn 15th of November about 4-5 years ago. That little fawn couldn't have weighed 25 lbs. I'm sure that fawn didn't survive the winter. A couple early, a couple late, just the norm. Rut is a strong 2 weeks away here and another few days longer in some of my southern spots. Small bucks can get pretty anxious this time of year.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:21 pm

We have a cold front that moved in here and the deer are acting up. A coworker saw two bucks and four does on the drive in (it was still dark). After I got to work and early this morning, we had three different car / deer accidents called in from my home county.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”