Optics for out west on a budget

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: Optics for out west on a budget

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:58 pm

Another vote here for Vortex. Great quality to $ ratio in my opinion.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

YZF_88

Unread postby YZF_88 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:38 am

I started out with 8x binoculars but sold them for 10x42's because of the distances out west. Good glass is essential. Also, the mountains will beat you down in short order. Good glass and a small spotting scope will let your eyes do the walking...instead of your legs.

As for a binocular harness...I strongly recommend the newer S4 Lockdown. They are very nice at holding them to your chest. This is essential if your crawling or stalking a bedded mule deer or elk.
MattyG

Unread postby MattyG » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:08 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:Check out Redfield too.

X2
I have had a pair of redfield 10x42 for 2 years. everyone that has looked through them has said "i have to get a pair of them". they are only 150$ you can find them cheeper sometimes on sale but they are worth it to me. they worked out great for bowhunting and out west for me last year.

when i went to pick binoculars out i fully expected to pay a lot more for good optics but when it came down to the ones i wanted the redfields were just as good as the 400-500$ pairs so it was a no brainer to me.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:39 pm

Yeah 10x42 is what I want with a tripod, looking at busnell elite or vortex as we speak.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:40 pm

Just finished david longs public land mule deer book, great stuff.

lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:06 am

Vortex are good.............I use and sell Scorpion Optics, 10x42's are better than the similar priced Vortex and are less money. PM me if you have not made a purchase yet and I can give you some more info on the company and the optics they carry (lifetime warranty on all glass also, except rangefinders which carry a 3 year warranty).
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:12 pm

So the time to buy has come, looks like the vortex line is the best choice after talking to countless alpine mule deer hunter, they say a good set of 10x42 on a tripod are my best option. I can't do spotter and them, to much money.

Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:22 pm

Have you seen the doubler that vortex makes? It essentially doubles the magnification of one side of rge binocs like a spotting scope. That might be worth a look.
keb wrote:So the time to buy has come, looks like the vortex line is the best choice after talking to countless alpine mule deer hunter, they say a good set of 10x42 on a tripod are my best option. I can't do spotter and them, to much money.

keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:58 pm

That's pretty slick, I may try and swing that. Got some other gear to buy. Headed to the high country of colorado on solo archery deer hunt this year, pumped and scared of the unknown at the same time, 2 weeks to hunt.

Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:24 pm

keb wrote:That's pretty slick, I may try and swing that. Got some other gear to buy. Headed to the high country of colorado on solo archery deer hunt this year, pumped and scared of the unknown at the same time, 2 weeks to hunt.

A lot of good glass out there. You will spend most of your time looking through binoculars, eye fatigue is a issue. Get glass that doesn't make your eyes strain, my choices are zeiss, leica and pentax. Many guys are fans of high magnification in binos and spotting scopes, I'm not, 10x or 12x work fine. Find that with high magnification many guys are looking at very long distances, for spot and stalk hunts and spend half their day trying to get into position, things may look close but takes a long time to cover ground at high elevation and you miss animals that are close.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:38 pm

I think you'll be me than happy with vortex... I've got 2 vortex and 2 Nixon scopes and the vortex has a little better glass... Both are good tho.... But the dials in the vortex work more smooth

wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:05 am

Vortex

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”