DIY Mule Deer/ Elk Hunt

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NCmedic

DIY Mule Deer/ Elk Hunt

Unread postby NCmedic » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:26 pm

Hey guys,

I was reading some of the stories of the DIY hunts and sounded very cool. I was wondering if any of yall could point me to any guides, websites, books, videos or other resources that would prepare someone for this kind of hunt. I know its an extensive process that requires a lot of planning and preparation so I want to get the ball rolling and do some research. If any of you experienced guys could chip in thatd be great! Thanks

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bucky

Re: DIY Mule Deer/ Elk Hunt

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:18 am

Budget? Target? What do you have for gear? Going solo or with someone? Your age and physical fitness?

Answer those then PM Dor :lol:

I'm heading on my first Western hunt next yr to either WY for elk or Nevada for mule deer (draw). Many of the better areas to hunt require pref points or a draw.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:03 am

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/index.html

This is a good forum, some helpful people for the new western DIY hunters.

If your thinking about your 1st out west hunt, and your a whitetail hunter. Nothing you read or search or know about whitetails will prepare you for your 1st DIY wilderness hunt. You just have to gain experience by doing it.

Getting gear ready now, DIY elk/mulie in WY bighorns again this year, 6 guys.....a year is to long to wait to get back into the mountains.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:28 am

Like Bucky stated...narrow the scope of what it is you plan to do and that will help considerably.
Solo hunting Elk in the wilderness or deer in the BWCA (like TAD does) is a far different ball game then group hunting mule deer/antelope from a base camp with vehicle access.

One thing is for sure though........JUST DO IT!

Life is for living not wishing!

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
NCmedic

Unread postby NCmedic » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:47 am

I'd say my budget would be $1500. Target, either a mule deer hunt or elk hunt... which ever is more doable haha. Gear, nothing other than basic hunting supplies gathered for whitetail hunting. I'm 22, and consider myself to be fit. I like to run obstacle course races and am training for a marathon now. I'd probably be doing a group hunt if I went... idk if that narrows anything! Haha

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:52 am

NCmedic wrote:I'd say my budget would be $1500. Target, either a mule deer hunt or elk hunt... which ever is more doable haha. Gear, nothing other than basic hunting supplies gathered for whitetail hunting. I'm 22, and consider myself to be fit. I like to run obstacle course races and am training for a marathon now. I'd probably be doing a group hunt if I went... idk if that narrows anything! Haha

Tag costs are typically $600+ for elk... $300+ for mule deer.... plus fuel. You might be able to get something done at $1500. Mule deer I know guys that go to Eastern Montana for around that price and shoot mule deer every yr. At 22 you should have no problem with terrain
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
NCmedic

Unread postby NCmedic » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:05 am

So it sounds like eastern Montana is the place to be for elk and mule deer, huh? Has anyone dealt much with Montana's Block Management program? I read about it in a Field and Stream article and sounds like the way to go for a DIY hunt...

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:05 pm

Walking out now no luck tonight

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:24 pm

BigHunt wrote:Image

Walking out now no luck tonight

Can a mod move this to the live thread?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:30 pm

NCmedic wrote:I'd say my budget would be $1500. Target, either a mule deer hunt or elk hunt... which ever is more doable haha. Gear, nothing other than basic hunting supplies gathered for whitetail hunting. I'm 22, and consider myself to be fit. I like to run obstacle course races and am training for a marathon now. I'd probably be doing a group hunt if I went... idk if that narrows anything! Haha

You should easily should be able to do a mule deer hunt on that budget, but you'll be cutting it close with elk.

As for books, I recommend Backcountry Mulies by Cameron Hayes.

NCmedic

Unread postby NCmedic » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:18 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:

You should easily should be able to do a mule deer hunt on that budget, but you'll be cutting it close with elk.

Thanks, ill check it out. What is the average budget for elk?

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:28 pm

NCmedic wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:

Thanks, ill check it out. What is the average budget for elk?

A lot depends on the fuel/travel decisions. I would say 1500 min for a diy solo hunt traveling from a mississippi river state. I'd plan for $1800. Price drops as you add hunters.

NCmedic

Unread postby NCmedic » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:43 pm

I'd be traveling from NC. A long ways... lol. Id be lookibg to add more hunters. Wouldnt be comfortable hunting the wild west by myself for the first time!

Basinboy
500 Club

Unread postby Basinboy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:59 pm

I just made my 3rd trip to Colorado. I advise you to go with a group. You can easily make a group hunt with $1,500. That is if you have bought the gear you will need before hand. License was right at $600. Fuel and eats enroute and back were less than $500 Per person. Just one word of advice, once you go, you will always want to go back! Just being in that country is worth the price of the trip. A kill is just lagniappe....
NCmedic

Unread postby NCmedic » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:29 pm

A group hunt is definitely what I'd prefer. Just have to find some other like-minded individuals near me! This will be a few years in the planning. I'll have to collect quite a bit of gear... and I know that'll add up quick. Not including tags and travel costs. Thanks guys, time to research!

Any gear recommendations?

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”