Big game training

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

keb
500 Club

Big game training

Unread postby keb » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:14 am

How many of you train to hunt, I know DOR ran a marothon or two here lately for his hunt. I will be making my 1st big game hunt out west next year.

I finished my 1st 50 mile trail run last Saturday took 15 hrs, was register for the 100 but had to drop due to left quad issues and logistical errors that cost me big time, always have two lights, head lamps in different bags in different spots. Had to walk 4 miles in the dark, no biggie but the course was very rocky and knarly, much to hard to run in the dark without breaking an ankle or tooth.

The cutoff for the 100 was 32 hours, I would have been close, but elected to drop, go down as an official 50 mile finisher, since my farthest until Saturday was a 50k. Just curious what you guys do? It maybe over kill for Midwest whitetails at this point, but it's helped me a bunch the last few years get it done.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Jackson Marsh

Re: Big game training

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:47 pm

Run, hill sprints, P90x, Insanity. I hope to draw an elk tag next year and will have to crank it up a notch for that.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:05 pm

I think keeping in good physical shape can be an advantage especially if you are doing a lot of mobile hunting. I like working out everyday anyways running, lifting etc... from being involved in other organized sports throughout my life.. so being physically prepared for a long hike or tougher climb in a tree is an added bonus. I think if you are planning a trip out west with a lot of hiking and camping in a remote area it can definitely make it more enjoyable if you don't break down physically
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:46 pm

I'm looking at an above timberline alpine mule deer hunt with my recurve, I'm gonna need all the help I can get, good is not going to cut it, so I need to be great.

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:00 pm

I often think about it, but rarely do anything. I didn't realize how "slow" I was till I tried to keep up with Dan at one of his scouting days.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
bb70

Unread postby bb70 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:27 pm

I train like crazy for every western hunt I do. Just returned from a public land high country hunt in wyoming a week ago. Over the previous month I did 25 plus hikes with 50 to 60 lbs on my back. It helped a bunch but still got my but kicked at 10,000 ft. It will get your muscles use to heavy loads so your not as sore. Once I shot my muley we had a 4 mile hike back to the truck with 110 lbs on my back. I wasn't ready or trained for that. It was worth it for a stud muley but I'm still sore as we speak hunting whitetails here in the midwest.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:57 pm

I wish I had the drive to be in better shape. I exorcise 1/2 hr every day, walking, mowing, biking. Nothing too strenuous just cardiac stuff.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:10 pm

Stanley wrote:I wish I had the drive to be in better shape. I exorcise 1/2 hr every day, walking, mowing, biking. Nothing too strenuous just cardiac stuff.

Every little bit helps. That's probably still more exercise than 80% of the population gets!

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:13 pm

Im so out of shape, I hunt mostly hill country, and some of my areas have some very steep hills. I nearly puked opening day after I climbed to the top of one of them. I carry a bottle of water with now. Getting old sucks.

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:47 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Im so out of shape, I hunt mostly hill country, and some of my areas have some very steep hills. I nearly puked opening day after I climbed to the top of one of them. I carry a bottle of water with now. Getting old sucks.

I always carry water and a couple of Cookie bars for an energy lift. Hard to concentrate on hunting when you are dead thirsty.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:47 am

I agree being in really good shape helps a lot in hill country or in mountains. I would go so far as to say I would not have two thirds of the deer on my wall if I was say 40 pounds overweight. If you are completing 50 mile trail runs you have nothing to worry about backpacking out west in my opinion. Key is to take it easy the first day as a flatlander up there around 10,000 feet to get used to it. In 2012 when I backpacked for a week after elk I trained with 10 mile runs in the summer heat and crossfit/P90X 5-6 days a week and it was just enough to keep going all week long. Obviously the goal is hard core cardio and lean muscle training. I think I will modify the training just a bit this year when I go back with a little more emphasis on the cardio, my tongue left drag marks up and down those mountains but I was able to keep going...I just want to feel a little better while doing it.
TallTines
500 Club

Unread postby TallTines » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:31 am

kenn1320 wrote:I often think about it, but rarely do anything. I didn't realize how "slow" I was till I tried to keep up with Dan at one of his scouting days.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

It's hard to keep up with someone who has a big stride my buddy's tell me to slow down cause they can't keep up with me

[glow=red]Hoyt Nitrum 30 70lb 29 draw
Easton Axis 340
Nap Killzone 2"
Lone Wolf Alpha Hang-on
Lone Wolf assault Hang-on
Lone Wolf hand climber[/glow]
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:46 pm

Been doing some training in the hills for here with 40 and 50 pounds in my pack, did a few 7 milers. Gonna do one 20 miler, in a few weeks, and one 20 mile run, about 3 weeks before I leave then do nothing maybe some light walking.

been doing some running 6,8 and 12 mile runs and tons of push ups.

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:06 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:[glow=red]Run, hill sprints, P90x, Insanity[/glow]. I hope to draw an elk tag next year and will have to crank it up a notch for that.

DANG!!! Yeah this qualifies as "training" and staying in shape for hunting. If I were ever hunting near you, I know who to contact to help drag non the less hahaha
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:22 pm

backstraps wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:[glow=red]Run, hill sprints, P90x, Insanity[/glow]. I hope to draw an elk tag next year and will have to crank it up a notch for that.

DANG!!! Yeah this qualifies as "training" and staying in shape for hunting. If I were ever hunting near you, I know who to contact to help drag non the less hahaha

He "hires" help to drag his deer out........isn't that right Neil? ;) :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”