Quotes by Fred Bear

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Quotes by Fred Bear

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:55 pm

I love these wise quotes from Fred and try to stick to them as much as possible. Always a good idea to read these to keep things in perspective and never forget what is really important while hunting.

Quotes By Fred Bear

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.

If some of our teenage thrill seekers really want to go out and get a thrill, let them go up into the Northwest and tangle with the Grizzly Bear, the Polar Bear, and the Brown Bear. They will get their kicks, and it will cleanse their souls.

If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.

A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be . . . time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there.

A downed animal is most certainly the object of a hunting trip, but it becomes an anticlimax when compared to the many other pleasures of the hunt.

I feel like one of God's chosen people, having had the opportunity to share, with many fine companions, these varied and lovely realms of our natural world.

When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God.

Hardships are quickly forgotten. Intense heat, bitter cold, rain and snow, fatigue, and luckless hunting fade quickly into memories of great fellowship, thoughts of beautiful country, pleasant camps, and happy campfires.

If asked to sketch a mental picture of the typical archer I would be hard put. They seem to come in all shapes, sizes, colors and backgrounds. Inwardly they seem to have in common a love for the outdoors, a reverence for wildlife, and a close tie with history. There is nothing they seem to enjoy more than telling tall tales around a campfire or talking about archery to others. It would be difficult to find a more interesting group of people.

The very remoteness kindles the imagination of the adventurous hunter. From the top of any mountain the challenge extends far and wide, until the mountains meet the sky.

I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature's ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.

Life in the open is one of my finest rewards. I enjoy and become completely immersed in the high challenge and increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It is a return to fundamentals that I instinctively feel are basic and right.

I hunt deer because I love the entire process; the preparation, the excitement, and sustained suspense of trying to match my woods lore against the finely honed instincts of these creatures.

I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything; it has to do with how the day was spent.

The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind.

With a gun you can hunt deer an average of 3 weeks a year. With a bow you can hunt an average of 10 weeks more depending upon the state you hunt in.

Not only in bow-hunting fun and a real challenge, but its good for you. The exercise in the fresh air, the chance to get away from everyday pressures and problems, a return to the basic relationships between man and his environment.

When bow-hunting, you find you get closer to the woodland critters. The flora and the forest floor becomes clearer. You look at things more closely. You're more aware. You know the limited range of the bow is only 40 yards or so. You must try to outwait that approaching deer. Careful not to make the slightest movement or sound hoping that your scent won't suddenly waft his way. That's when you'll know for sure and appreciate deeply what bow-hunting is all about."

. . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.

For all of you guys that enjoy filming your hunts Fred was a pioneer when it came to this and it is amazing what he was able to accomplish on film so many years ago.

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBgydeR9I70&feature=youtu.be[/bbvideo]

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Jackson Marsh

Re: Quotes by Fred Bear

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:56 am

Great quotes, and I agree with all of them.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:08 am

Good stuff !
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:30 pm

Thanks for sharing. Fred Bear was truly a pioneer in more ways the then just bowhunting....
ONE UP

Unread postby ONE UP » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:43 am

Happy Birth Day Fred ! I think he would have been 111 today.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:38 am

ONE UP wrote:Happy Birth Day Fred ! I think he would have been 111 today.

8-)

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:04 pm

bump it back up!

:mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:43 pm

Thanks Zap! Good quotes to remember! 8-)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:02 am

Bump

Beartown18
500 Club

Unread postby Beartown18 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:03 am

8-)
welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:37 am

These are great quotes..good to read if your confidence is down.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:00 pm

welded34 wrote:These are great quotes..good to read if your confidence is down.

That's why I bumped it. Having a tough season myself and know many others are too. Getting back to what's really important helps to keep your mind in the game.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:41 pm

[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af564nMkqhE[/bbvideo]

[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1JBgFqdYSg[/bbvideo]
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:42 pm

Good stuff... im gonna have to watch the videos when I get a min.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:50 pm

The last one isn't much of a video. No more than a record from my youth. There are still excerpts that give me chills. The last two minutes are classic.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”