Muley Hill Country strategies?

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GRFox
500 Club

Muley Hill Country strategies?

Unread postby GRFox » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:48 pm

Just curious if there is any consistency with howw whitetails bed in hill country and how mulies bed in the Rocky Mountains?

I was in Wyoming a few years ago chasing Mulies in Shoshone National Forest (spelling?)I just out side of Yellow Stone. What an incredible endless landscape of wilderness.

I am longing to return but when I do I want to be better prepared in how and where I hunt, instead of wandering the mountains.

Does anyone have any experience in hunting mule deer? Do the mature bucks take bedding as serious as whitetails or is it more random?

I feel as if mule deer (out there) are roamers and may travel huge distance daily and rarely be in the same place twice......but I really have no idea.

Just seeing if we can get a muley strategy thread going.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Uncle Lou

Re: Muley Hill Country strategies?

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:09 pm

I have been out west a few times for elk and once to far SW NE for mule deer even got me one. Love to watch them pogo stick across the plains when you jump them.

Those dang things hit the next county it seems. Don't think I can add much to strategies, other than when I go west I try to cover as much country as possible to find animals. Put in for another tag in SW NE this year, need to check on the draw. I like the way your thinking would love to see some input on this topic
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:13 pm

I hunt mulies every two years or so depending on when I draw and the biggest key is finding small basins. I prefer to hunt 9000 - 11000 becuase it seems the bigger bucks are up high and there are not a lot of people willing to go that high. The classic bed is they will bed up against some rimrock or close to a ridge with a very steep drop on the other side, this gives them a sense that no danger will approach from above. This is the way you want to come if you are stalking for a archery hunt. They will almost always bed facing down hill smelling the thermals and looking for approaching danger from down below.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:33 pm

Elk hunting in CO 2 yrs ago we bumped a couple good muley from daytime beds. We marked them on GPS, we bumped a 2nd one out of one of them a few days later. Should be interesting if we can do it again this year, two of the others will have tags, so it will be ON.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”