Idaho Lion/Wolf Hunt Pics and story

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Idaho Lion/Wolf Hunt Pics and story

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:14 am

I arrived in Lewiston, Idaho last Sunday night where Andy Rasmussen of Rasmussen Outfitters picked me up. He is based in Orofino, Idaho and hunts an area approximately 500 square miles in the Clearwater Mountains east of Orofino.

As some of you may know, Idaho and Montana opened a season for wolves this past hunting season. I have written a bit about that in another thread. Well although the wolf got me interested in traveling back to Idaho, mountain lion has also been on my agenda for some time. So this would be a combo hunt, however, Andy is a houndsman and loves to chase lions and bear. The wolf would be more of an incidental.

Monday up at 4 am for coffee and breakfast, Andy has a wonderful wife Alicia that made certain we ate well. 5 am in the truck heading to hunt. We got in the mountains a bit in his truck then we switch to the snow machine (that's what I call it). It is a atv with those snow looking triangle belts at each wheel instead of wheels.

here is a couple dogs. That is Lil Blue and Cricket getting ready. Lucky is in the other box. These are the three Andy chose out of his pack of 15.

Here is a pic of the snow machine that tows a sled with the dog.

So we are off, I am riding through the clearwater mountains with hound dogs, experienced in lion hunting, and also with a wolf tag in my pocket.

Day 1 is mostly checking for tracks. I should have drove Andy nuts asking questions about tracks, but he is pretty calm about things and didnt seem to mind. I didnt want to just ride along I wanted to fully take it in. As he looked at and for tracks (there were many) which were mostly elk and coyote, we were treated to an elk early in the day.
(Look close the tan rump)

Now I am probably the worlds worst cameraman, so I thought I better place that warning right about here.

Still I would reach for the camera when we had a good vantage or view. I really don't think the pics do justice to the scenery. Here is a mountain scene and as you can begin to see, there is snow in some pics and not in others. This is what made the conditions less than ideal and we had a lot of rain. Rain is what washes the scent out where the dogs cant trail.

A little while further and we were going to stop to view a clear cut. We counted 15 elk in this area. It is hard to see the elk but look for the tan spots. I think my lens was wet and that is why these are blurrier than most (also did I mention I am not that good with a camera)

Back ripping around the mountain (I think John Lewis Mtn) above Dorchak Reservoir. Here is a pic at the reservoir, it stretches approx 50 miles long.

After a great day of scenery, we started heading back towards the truck when we were treated with a cow and calf moose at about 30 or so yards. They were really laboring in this deep snow here. I couldnt believe how slow the big cow was traveling.

This pretty much wrapped up day 1 and we didn't have lion tracks so day 2 would take us to a different area.

Day 2 we came in by Silver Creek and plan to check a bunch of draws/creeks/drainages that all flowed into Dorchak Reservoir in search of lion tracks. On the way in, via the truck we had a coyote coming right at us, Andy stopped and I was out in a flash to try to put some fur down. Nada. So on a bit to unload the snow machine and dogs to set out. I would occasionally stand on the back of the sled and stretch my legs a bit to take it in. Here I snapped a pic of Andy from the sled as we traveled, the second flash got him to turn and wonder what the heck I was doing.

Here are a few scenery pics from day 2 morning.

These next 2 pics I was trying to get a pic of the mountain through the clouds, center of pic there is mountain that would poke through the clouds, but again this cameraman couldnt get it.

Little more scenery

finally I got a pic of a mountain poking through a cloud.

Okay enough of the photo safari and back to our mission. We cut a good looking lion track around mid day on day 2.

This is where the emotional roller coaster starts. We just saw our first track in 2 days - lion track that is - and you need that hound to get out, sniff , and bark. When no bark you go back to looking, thinking, watching Andy plot where we are going next. At this point I would watch his face for emotion. He is pretty steady, but I can tell he is working through his thoughts on what and where to go next. I would say this is where the photo safari ended and the hunt began. Andy is now using all his skills and knowledge of the area to try to pin point where this lion could be. We start to circle this drainage. Hoping to not see his tracks come out, unless, they are fresh tracks coming out.

A while later, Andy stops the machine cold. Gets off and points to a hardly noticeable print in the gravel. He spotted this while moving. He gets off and walks the track up the road a bit. I dont follow I dont want to step on a track, but I am watching as he walks up the road and back, carefully studying. He comes back and says we have 2 more lions. A male and a female. I was extremely impressed at what had just transpired. Then he takes me up and points these tracks out. After almost 20 minutes of deciphering this, he takes out Cricket for a whiff, nothing. There is that high and low again. Then Lucky comes up for a whiff and nothing. We spend the rest of the day looping these tracks and trying to loop this lions grounds.

Couple of pics during this jaunt.

We had only seen 8 elk today, maybe because we were not focused on "non-target" animals on this day.

So we loop this drainage and feel we have a pair of lions pinpointed in another area. We are feeling good about the upcoming day 3. About this time we both notice our faces are burning we had quite the sunburn. I gave Andy a little crap about not having any sunblock, and asked if he also had a beer in the truck for when we returned. No on both counts. Now since we had met the week before at the Oconomowoc (I love saying that word) SE WI hunt and fish show, he knew I liked to have at least one beer after a long day.

Also on the way out Andy noticed a small lion track. Possibly a young lion that was recently kicked out by the female who was now accompanied by the tom. We also cut 2 more lion tracks heading back to the truck. Andy would have plenty to decipher from all this sign.

We did have a few issues that added to the adventure today, we sheared the pin holding the sled to the snow machine and we had quite the time crossing a downed tree in the trail. We worked through both. About 6:30 pm we started the long journey back to the truck. About an hour and a half back via the snow machine (at our fastest speeds of the trip) to the truck then another couple hours or so via the truck and we would return to Andy's house for a late dinner and finally a couple beers.

Day 3 came way to early, 4 am coffee and breakfast was greeted with rain. Rain is bad, as it washes the sent out of the lion tracks. We arrived back at the area we started at the day before and had a long way back. Thankfully, we did not have rain when we reached the mountains- yet. Now for the long trek back to where we cut tracks the day before to look for fresher sign.

As we rode the snow machine in we had an area where we also had a lot of wolf sign coming out last night. Today we had 4 wolves that ran our our snow machine tracks for quite a while. But we were on a mission to get to the lion areas and check for fresh sign, hoping the rain held off, and not knowing if it rained before we got there.

We got back in and couldnt get the break we needed. Again the emotional highs and lows. We discussed going all the way back to the truck and putting the dogs up and for the first time on this trip just go follow the wolf tracks and try to call for them. At that time we noticed wolf tracks crossed the swithchback on our tracks from last night. It was a pack of 4 wolves. We dismounted and decided to follow. Up the mountain we went via foot.

Here are the tracks.

This is really the first time in this trip we are on foot. I want to shoot a wolf bad and am hoping to see them as we enter the timber, I am ready. We go aways and Andy wants to try to calf call. Nothing. We go higher, I am anticipating seeing wolves without calling, but we stop a few more places along the trip higher. Their tracks would spread out and come back together several times as we go up this mountain. We dont know exactly when they went across our track other than after we left last night and before we started up this morning. I am on high alert and as ready as I can be.

I find it very interesting to see how this pack travels up this mountain. The elk sign is blowing me away and the snow is deep. Sometimes you can walk on top like the wolves did and sometimes you fall to your thighs or deeper. Walking in wolf tracks with a rifle in hand pursuing them is a rush. Then we get to yet another area where the pack came together.

Apparently the stopped to do what wolves do.

Near the top of this mountain we decide to turn back. Here is a shot down

As we head down the mountain, thoughts flow through my head. I am telling myself I am glad I came, I am telling myself I will be back. I am still hoping for a fleeting glimpse but I think I know what will happen, nothing other than descend to the snow machine for lunch and some water. Feeling as if my hunt is ending, I am dealing with what I will take from this.

We reach the snow machine and have lunch. I get out my video camera and document some of my thoughts and what we just did. We wrap up and get on the snow machine. The dogs are troopers. I almost forgot to mention we got new hounds today, kinda. Lucky is still with us but Chance and Scout are also aboard in place of Cricket and Lil Blue.

A couple hundred yards down the trail we cut a lion track. Andy is starting to think we shouldn't have run those wolf tracks and these lion tracks would be 4 hours fresher. As he turns a hound loose on them and no bark, we continue on. Searching for a fresher track, he races down the mountain. The lion was taking short cuts cutting our swithbacks. We stop at a point he puts Chance out. Chance takes off. Then a couple hundred yards Chance starts barking. Andy lets Lucky and Scout out.

I look at Andy and say what is going on. With not much emotion he said they are trailing your lion. He didn't want to get me excited. He hooks up some antennae to some box for the tracking collars and said get on lets go down. Storm clouds are coming.

We cut the dog tracks and the lion tracks (still not knowing how fresh the lion tracks are other than last night to right now) heading down. Stopping to listen for barks a few times, they are still barking, but it is also raining now. Did I mention this lion hunting thing is full of highs and lows.

We head down to Meadow creek and get off, listening for barking. Andy doesn't seem real confident with the rain, but we start heading their direction. We are also going to be up against daylight in an hour or so. So we head in along Dorchak Reservoir not knowing what to expect. First we come to Lucky, he is standing on a rock ledge barking across the reservoir.

His bark is echoeing off the other side of the mountain. We get to him and no lion, Chance and Scout are nowhere to be found.

Here are a couple pics walking in to get Lucky
Lucky was right around this bend

As we get to where Lucky is we count 30 elk across the reservoir and up the other side of the mountain. Lucky barking doesn't seem to bother them.
They are over there.

Now we need to catch up to Chance and Scout. Daylight is burning and I see Andy about to make a tough decision. His locater box is shorted out by the rain storm and we don't hear them barking anymore.

If we pursue them we could be spending the night out here. I told Andy you decide what is best for the dogs, don't turn around for me. He ends up deciding that there is not much we can do with a shorted out box, so we turn for the snow machine.

The hunt is over. Me, Lucky, and Andy head out. Chance (a veteran hound with one eye, his other was swatted out by a bear when he was 4) and Scout his up and coming 2 yr old and pup from Scout and Cricket are on their own to spend at least one night in wolf country. Not a good thing.

We make it back to the snow machine before dark (that is what Andy said) we must have different ideas of dark because I am seeing a sliver of moon very clearly and seems dark to me. Now we start heading out on the snow machine, in the dark, pulling only one dog - Lucky.

We arrive at the truck a hour or so later, not really paying attention to time, but when we arrived at the truck there was a cooler with a couple well needed beers. Apparently a 43 year old genius was thinking ahead this morning on a couple hours sleep (oh, Andy is in his 30s). After a cold beer we loaded up Lucky and headed out.

We arrived back at Andy's at 11:30 pm. A long day it was. Exhausted I didn't know how to wrestle this whole thing in my mind. As a life long tag filler, I suffered no disappointment this time. I felt good about helping myself and the great state of Idaho put the wolves back in there place. I walked in there tracks, made sure when they returned they would know they were pursued. I was there rifle in hand ready to take one out. I am the apex predator, and if they don't know it tomorrow they will know it sometime in the future

I will be back

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Idaho Lion/Wolf Hunt Pics and story

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:17 pm

Sounds like a great hunt Lou... You should of stayed the whole 5 days. Wish I was there with you and Andy, he seemed like a great guy when I met him. 8-)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:18 pm

Thanks for posting Uncle Lou. Great story and I loved the pics. 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:19 pm

Lou, how about posting Andys website?
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:50 pm

That was a good read Lou. Better luck next time.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:58 pm

Great trip, could feel the emotional ups and downs with your hunt! Thanks for posting the pictures, really showed the ruggedness and solitude.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:00 pm

Awesome lou.......

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:15 pm

Thanks all. Appreciate the responses

Here is the link to Andy Rasmussen's website
http://www.rasmussenoutfitters.com/

Also, I spoke to Andy on Saturday he got his hounds Chance and Scout out of the mountains finally. Would have been something to put a camera on them to see what they saw during their 2 nights and almost three days in the mountains
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:42 pm

Great story and pictures Lou!
BONECRUSHER

Unread postby BONECRUSHER » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:56 am

Nice story and pics Lou, I feel left out by not getting a email of this ........ LOL, just kiddin'. Glad you had fun

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Scott Hill

Nose to the wind, Carbon to the cheek and finger on the trigger
Missionman

Unread postby Missionman » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:13 am

Sounds like a great hunting trip.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:02 am

Sounds like a great time. Thanks for sharing.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:37 am

Glad to hear Chance and Scout made it out in one piece! Great pics and tales of the hunt, Lou. 8-)
Ellie

Unread postby Ellie » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:07 pm

DAD, why didn't you get one I thought you would. Now I want you to go back and get one
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:17 pm

Ellie wrote:DAD, why didn't you get one I thought you would. Now I want you to go back and get one

Right on Ellie! We all want your Dad to go back and get a lion and a wolf!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”