colorado mountain lion hunt

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Re: colorado mountain lion hunt

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:45 pm

Is it too much to ask what a hunt like this cost ?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:45 pm

Congrats man! That's awesome!!!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
g5nz
Facebook: Ziegler_nick@yahoo.com

Unread postby g5nz » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:06 am

Its not a cheap hunt by any means, for me it was a once in a life time deal. I gave up a hunting trip in africa to go on the cat hunt. For everything ur looking at 5500 plus taxidermy costs. I'm geting mine full body which will add another 3200. Its an incredible hunt though and I think everyone shbould do it. It may take sum saving but its worth it

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:31 am

Awesome story and pics, congratulations on a great hunt

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:28 am

g5nz wrote:Its not a cheap hunt by any means, for me it was a once in a life time deal. I gave up a hunting trip in africa to go on the cat hunt. For everything ur looking at 5500 plus taxidermy costs. I'm geting mine full body which will add another 3200. Its an incredible hunt though and I think everyone shbould do it. It may take sum saving but its worth it

That's about the ballpark figure I was expecting I guess.......... Ya, it's a lot of money, but man, that would be my dream hunt too ! I just don't know where the heck I would put a full body mount if I did get one, but something like a mountain lion, you almost have to full body mount it....... that would be so cool !

If you think of it, post some pics after you get it back from the taxi.....
g5nz

Unread postby g5nz » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:14 pm

I originally was going to do a rug but being 8 foot 4 inches that's a lot of wall space. And the taxidermist told me id be stupid not to get a book cat a full body lol...ill definantly post pictures when he gets back

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:31 am

Awesome story, Congrats!
NightwishMike
500 Club

Unread postby NightwishMike » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:32 pm

Congrats!!! You sure bag a lot of different animals!

iamyourhuckleberry

Unread postby iamyourhuckleberry » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:46 am

Congratulations on stepping out and hammering the light at the end of the tunnel! Your lion is a toad! He definitely deserves a full mount!

It is my opinion, and something your readers should understand, mtn. lion hunting in the Rockies is, by far, the most challenging hunt you will every do. A hunt of this nature will test you both mentally and phyiscally. The extent to which these cats evade is simply incredible! You will be totally drained from the experience...even if you kill your cat on the first day!

For me, the thing that tosses this hunt over the top, the hunter actually climbing into the hole after Colorado's #1 apex predator! That took some nads!

I tip my hat to you Nick, a job well done!
"No one had ever asked what it feels like to be me. Once I told the truth about that, I felt free. I got to thinking about all the people I know, and the things I’ve seen and done. I can start flying now."-unknown
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:09 am

iamyourhuckleberry wrote:Congratulations on stepping out and hammering the light at the end of the tunnel! Your lion is a toad! He definitely deserves a full mount!

It is my opinion, and something your readers should understand, mtn. lion hunting in the Rockies is, by far, the most challenging hunt you will every do. A hunt of this nature will test you both mentally and phyiscally. The extent to which these cats evade is simply incredible! You will be totally drained from the experience...even if you kill your cat on the first day!

[glow=red]For me, the thing that tosses this hunt over the top[/glow], the hunter actually climbing into the hole after Colorado's #1 apex predator! That took some nads!

I tip my hat to you Nick, a job well done!

I couldn't agree more with the jumping in the whole putting this hunt over the top. Since I haven't done it yet I can't speak to the challenge of it, but sounds like Iamyourhuckleberry is experienced in this.

I think a lot of us would like to think we would jump in after em. When the opportunity presented itself, you actually did it :clap:
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
iamyourhuckleberry

Unread postby iamyourhuckleberry » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:49 pm

Yes, Uncle Lou,

I have been on a few lion hunts...

My biggest to date:

When you do this hunt, try to get in the best shape possible. When the dogs strike, it is GO time! They will not wait and neither will the lion!
"No one had ever asked what it feels like to be me. Once I told the truth about that, I felt free. I got to thinking about all the people I know, and the things I’ve seen and done. I can start flying now."-unknown
g5nz

Unread postby g5nz » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:32 pm

Iamyourhuckleberry is right the hunt is extremely physical and being in good shap really helps...before my hunt I ran 4 miles a night for 4 months prior and I still was pretty winded by the time we got to my cat...that's also a really nice lion what did the skull end up measuring on that iamyourhuckleberry?

iamyourhuckleberry

Unread postby iamyourhuckleberry » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:07 pm

Nick,

After the official drying period, he came in at 14-12/16 inches...a B&C contender (he was just over 15" green). He weighed 175 pounds, but much of that was a 5x5 mule deer he had in his stomach. We cut his track at 6:00am and I killed him at 4:30pm. The chase went the entire day. Not sure how many miles we covered, but it darn near killed me! I was actively playing soccer seven days a week back then. I was in the best shape humanly possible! You earn them when you get them! That's for sure!

How big was yours and what do you think of Collbran. I killed my biggest mule deer near there.

Here's aomething I think you will appreciate. It's a mule deer skull/antlers I found while hunting this year.

I took the skull cap and had this beast mounted-since it B&C scored 224-3/8 inches. I am absolutely convinced a lion nailed this monarch. I found his skeletal remains cached deeply under the branches of a pine tree. I doubt he would have walked in there by himself. Several years ago, I found five buck skulls lofted in pine trees fifteen feet above the ground. They were all within twenty feet of each other. Talking about an errie feeling...I was standing in a lion's kitchen.
g5nz

Unread postby g5nz » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:26 pm

Wow that's an awesome find, too bad you weren't the one to kill him, but that still is awesome...my lion too was on a nice 4x4 mule deer kill and we found a nice 6x6 elk skull when we were walking through the mountains...collbran is an awesome place I can not wait to go back and hunt it once I draw a mule deer or muzleloader elk tag...its guna be interesting to see what my skull ends up measuring

iamyourhuckleberry

Unread postby iamyourhuckleberry » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:50 am

Wow that's an awesome find, too bad you weren't the one to kill him

Nick, I could only dream...

When I found this deer, I shared the find immediately with good friend Marv Clyncke. Marv and I spend a lot of time filming big buck around and about. If anyone were to know anything about this deer, it would have been Marv. His jaw dropped when I pulled it from the bed of my truck! I asked Marv if he had seen this deer, ever. He replied, "No!" Strangely, I hadn't either.

This leads me to say, there are some things out there capable of doing ambushing attacks men cannot-this buck is evidence. For that, lion's have my complete respect! I listen to men all the time who want to carry side arms in the woods. Ya know, to ward off mountain lions...

If a lion wants you, you won't realize it until you're a turd in Heaven. "That's all I have to say about that!"-Forrest Gump

I would love to hear about your skull, when you find the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”