Big game shot distance? Archery average shot distance?

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

keb
500 Club

Big game shot distance? Archery average shot distance?

Unread postby keb » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:16 am

What's it been out west? I posted in the trad section but curious of what u guys have been through. I'm going to colorado in August to chase velvet mule deer in the alpine.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Big game shot distance? Archery average shot distance?

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:50 am

I have not hunted with trad equipment, only compounds with sights. In my very limited experience out west what guys say - that everything is much bigger out west than whitetail hunting, is absolutely correct.

You can get close still but you will have a whole lot more encounters with game 50-100 yards out where its really tough to close the distance those last few yards. I guess that is where those crazy stories about guys taking 90 yard pokes at elk come from.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:22 am

Yeah not common to read of 50 to 70 yard shots, what's the point that's not bowhunting, great shooting, but not bow hunting. I would rather kill a dink at 15 yards than a giant I shot at 72 yards with anything. But the again I don't live out there, I guess it boils down to personal preference and if one is willing to be eat tag soup allot.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed May 28, 2014 2:29 am

I've hunted out west my share. Passed on some nice bulls in that 40 yard range. My shot distance does not change out west. I don't believe in the theory bigger the animal longer the shot distance. To me there's just more animal there to wound on iffy shots. I'm still without an elk and I can live with that.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed May 28, 2014 8:25 am

I'm pretty sure 75 yards is 75 yards even out west. If you think your chances are just as good at 75 yards as they are at 20 you may need to rethink the situation. If you think I'm wrong I'll shoot at 20 at a quarter you shoot at 75 at a quarter. Closest to the quarter takes home the pot.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Thu May 29, 2014 4:28 am

I'd say 75 is a bit much. But I would not rule out 55 and under. Especially with today's equipment and adequate practice.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
TallTines
500 Club

Unread postby TallTines » Sat May 31, 2014 3:15 am

My longest shot has been 52 yards
[glow=red]Hoyt Nitrum 30 70lb 29 draw
Easton Axis 340
Nap Killzone 2"
Lone Wolf Alpha Hang-on
Lone Wolf assault Hang-on
Lone Wolf hand climber[/glow]
Bhuntin

Unread postby Bhuntin » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:00 am

I was lucky enough to live out west for a few years. I spent most of my time chasing elk with a bow and not mule deer. Where western hunting differs from midwest hunting is that out west you usually go to the deer where here in the midwest we usually wait for the deer to come to us. That being said in the wide open of the high country it can be hard to get to 20yards without being seen or smelled. For sure it can be done but once you get inside your effective range the closer you get the more chance you have to blow the stalk. I think the biggest mistake Ive seen people make is that they get in on an animal and they think they need to make the shot happen right now and make the animal stand up. Be patient let the animal stand up on its own.

A few resources that might be helpful to you are a book by Dwight Schuh called Hunting Open Country Mule Deer. One of the best books Ive read.

Have a great trip

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”