Wisc. Spring meeting question #1 / Must use quick strike???

• Advertisement

HB Store

Require quick strike rigging?

Yes
86%
No
14%
Not sure
No votes

Total votes: 7
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Wisc. Spring meeting question #1 / Must use quick strike???

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:32 am

Question 1 – Require anglers to use quick-strike rigs when using minnows larger than 10 inches in length
This proposal would require the use of “quick-strike” rigs when fishing with minnows 10 inches or longer as bait. A quick-strike rig means a bait rig with one or more treble hooks (three evenly spaced hooks joined by a common shaft to form one hook) attached to the body of a minnow, behind the head. This rig may include a jig or other single hook in the snout of a minnow along with one or more treble hooks attached to the body of a minnow. All minnows (live or dead) in excess of 10 inches in total length must be fished with a quick strike rig, and the hook must be immediately set by the angler upon indication of a strike. This proposal would not apply to any fish other than minnows when used as bait. In Wisconsin, minnows are legally defined to include suckers, mud minnows, madtoms, stonecat, killifish, stickleback, trout perch, darters, sculpins, and all species in the minnow family except goldfish and carp.
The use of minnows as bait for muskellunge is popular in Wisconsin. One traditional method utilizes a large single hook through the minnow’s snout, which requires the angler to wait for a muskellunge to swallow the bait prior to setting the hook. During a recent study conducted and published by DNR researchers, adult muskellunge were held in lined hatchery ponds and were caught using live minnows on single hooks. For each muskellunge landed, the leader was cut and the muskellunge was released. Survival was monitored for one year. No mortality occurred in less than 24 hours. However, 22% of hooked muskellunge died within 50 days and 83% died within one year. Necropsies revealed extensive trauma to the stomach and other organs from hook wounds, along with systemic bacterial infections. Mortality rates observed in this study are considered unacceptable for adequate management of muskellunge. Although the use of live bait for muskellunge is a traditional activity in Wisconsin, tackle such as quick-strike rigs that hook fish in the mouth will improve the chances that a released muskellunge will survive.
A version of this proposal for 8-inch and larger minnows was supported as an advisory question on the 2007 Spring Fish and Wildlife Hearings questionnaire by a vote of 2,224 Yes, 803 No, with 67 counties approving and 3 rejecting; 2 counties had tie votes. The minimum size of minnows covered by this proposal was increased from 8 inches to 10 inches to address concerns raised by some catfish anglers who use live fish as bait.

Do you favor requiring the use of “quick-strike” rigs with one or more treble hooks attached to the body of a minnow when fishing with minnows 10 inches or longer as bait?
1. YES_______ NO______

dan
Site Owner

Re: Wisc. Spring meeting question #1 / Must use quick strik

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:48 am

Fishing is already to complex... Do we really need to micro manage the number of, and type of hooks used, as well as time how many seconds before setting the hook is legal??? Really?

Most guys whom release use artificials anyway... Right?
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:34 am

dan wrote:Fishing is already to complex... Do we really need to micro manage the number of, and type of hooks used, as well as time how many seconds before setting the hook is legal??? Really?

1st reply was timed out.....will try another....
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:42 am

dan wrote:Fishing is already to complex... Do we really need to micro manage the number of, and type of hooks used, as well as time how many seconds before setting the hook is legal??? Really?

2nd reply timed out again.....confused. only a couple minutes of typing? :?
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:37 pm

Many laws would'nt be necessary with proper education. I'm sure most serious musky fisherman already use them. I understand you not wanting more new laws Dan. I can also understand that only a few muskies make it to adulthood and it takes many years to replace an adult musky.
I can remember when I was young and the proper technique for sucker fishing muskies.
When they took the sucker we were taught to let them run. Then they would stop and turn the sucker and swallow it. then when they started running again we would pound the hook home!
How times have changed!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:29 pm

Yes.......I think this is mostly directed at musky fishing and is really a good rule in my opinion. Like Magic said times have changed and the single hooks used in the past and were swallowed by the fish have killed a lot of fish after they were released for sure. Not many serious musky hunters use single hooks for suckers anymore and if they do it is frowned upon by others in the sport.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:31 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:

Hey Hodag.........hit F5 when that happens and then retry to get post to go through. I put a message in the testers lounge for this problem this afternoon.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:50 am

Dewey wrote:
Hodag Hunter wrote:

Hey Hodag.........hit F5 when that happens and then retry to get post to go through. I put a message in the testers lounge for this problem this afternoon.

Thanks
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:36 am

Yes..... 83% is an extremely high mortality rate. I have been using a quick strike rig for many years when Pike fishing because you never know if the fish is going to be too small or you just decide you don't want to keep it for what ever reason and I think this is a good idea for Musky. Tying up a quick strike rig is not rocket science and if it were law you would probably start seeing pre made rigs on the shelves. Serious Musky anglers may not use minnows, but I think there are a lot of other people that like to fish musky so I can see how a quick strike rig could make big difference. I don't know much about circle hooks, but from what understand they will not gut or throat hook a fish so that may be something they should consider as an option also.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:34 am

Well to me it seems like I really can't go fishing any more cause I have to know what waters are closed on what side of what bridge, what the min. lenth and bag limit is on the exact water and what side of what damn... The laws are getting so complex that average fishermen cannot enjoy a day or two of fishing...
I think if sucker fishing the old fasioned way kills a lot of fish, they should educate the public and promote using quick strike rigs... Not make another law, or two...

I was simply amazed when I started getting more into bowfishing the same thing... Now we can only shoot carp in certain rivers and lakes within certain seasons, and only a certain number of feet from a damn... I thought they wanted the carp dead? I suppose somewhere at some time someone accidently shot a walleye so know we need to start micro managing carp too...
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:48 pm

Dan, this is a little off the subject, but I am curious as to whether or not you use the fish you shoot to feed Carols critters?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:07 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:Dan, this is a little off the subject, but I am curious as to whether or not you use the fish you shoot to feed Carols critters?

Tried... They won't eat them.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:02 am

That's pretty bad when even the wild critters won't eat them. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”