GO STEELHEADERS!!

• Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

GO STEELHEADERS!!

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:07 am

Any steelheaders on the Beast? When you ask me what my favorite fish is, in the end and stating the bottom line… it has to be steelhead. Over nearly forty years I have fought / caught / landed or lost countless steelhead, primarily in Michigan. I’ve caught them on live bait, spinners, flies, plugs, jigs, wobble glo’s, etc… and I enjoyed every minute of it! I’ve caught them wading, bank fishing, float tubing, surf fishing, in a canoe, driftboat, john boat, jet sled, deep V hull… you get the idea. For many years I took it personally if anyone, and I mean anyone, caught more steelies on any given day than I did- and that included hundreds of hard core fishermen below some of the dams.

I’m not nearly as obsessed today as I used to be, but man I love those fish! My first steelhead I caught as a young boy on Michigan’s AuSable river- I tied on a number three silver mepps spinner and flung it out over a hole. A big male came up and smoked it, and I’ll never forget the screaming reel and battle. I put that big steelhead on a stringer and flung it over my back… the hundreds of fishermen below the dam for over a mile weren’t catching jack… and I spent the rest of the day walking up and down both sides of the river with that fish and one serious look on my face! :lol:

I’ve been kicking some of the gear around lately, anybody else going to chase some steel? The pic is of my driftboat back in the eighties… that’s me on the right.

G3s
500 Club

Re: GO STEELHEADERS!!

Unread postby G3s » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:04 pm

I am ready to get after them! Hopefully we get some rain soon to bring the water temp up just a little so the fish hit the rivers
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:25 am

Nice buck you've got there, Tim- where'd you pull that bad boy from and what did he go for?

I'll take a shot in the dark and guess the Besty river?
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:57 am

The fish should be in the rivers now with the water open and flowing good. A tube jig and wax worm under a float in the slow pools is an awesome setup this time of year.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:02 am

Growing up on Lake Michigan's west shoreline, we used to fish them alot. My college spring breaks were spent on the tributaries catching Steelies. Haven't done it since, but sure do miss it.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:13 am

adrenalin wrote:The fish should be in the rivers now with the water open and flowing good. A tube jig and wax worm under a float in the slow pools is an awesome setup this time of year.

Are you going to chase some steel this spring, adrenalin?

For some reason I didn't fish jigs for many years, and when I finally did it was "little nippers" with a wax worm,. wiggler or small spawn bag.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:15 am

Black Squirrel wrote:Growing up on Lake Michigan's west shoreline, we used to fish them alot. My college spring breaks were spent on the tributaries catching Steelies. Haven't done it since, but sure do miss it.

Sounds like good times, BS- I think you should get it out of your system and dedicate one weekend to the silver bullets! 8-)
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:55 am

Singing Bridge wrote:
adrenalin wrote:The fish should be in the rivers now with the water open and flowing good. A tube jig and wax worm under a float in the slow pools is an awesome setup this time of year.

Are you going to chase some steel this spring, adrenalin?

For some reason I didn't fish jigs for many years, and when I finally did it was "little nippers" with a wax worm,. wiggler or small spawn bag.

I don't really fish steelhead anymore. Febuary and March have become my time to get projects around the house done and just take a break from hunting and fishing. I do miss it, but I guess you got to make choices right. We get the boat back in the water the begining of april so it's only a couple more weeks of withdrawls. I'm ready for some 80 degree days fishing in shorts catching big kings.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:14 am

I like catching steelies, but was never good at finding them. For a long time I thought I just wasn't good at detecting bites, but a friend took me out to show me how to do it once and come to find out I knew how to catch them just not where to find them. The only places I knew that held fish were loaded with people and were very spooky because of elbow to elbow fishing. I eventually gave it up, but wish I was better at it because I do like catching and eating them. I wish I had somebody like you Scott to teach me back then. If I had, I'm sure I would still be fishing them today.

I have been thinking of trying for Skamainia this summer if the crowds aren't to bad in the harbor of the St. Joe. I'll see when the time comes.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:37 am

adrenalin wrote:We get the boat back in the water the begining of april so it's only a couple more weeks of withdrawls. I'm ready for some 80 degree days fishing in shorts catching big kings.

Nothing wrong with that, sounds great adrenalin! 8-)

DEERSLAYER wrote:I have been thinking of trying for Skamainia this summer if the crowds aren't to bad in the harbor of the St. Joe. I'll see when the time comes.

Its been a while since I hit St. Joe for Skamania, make sure you post your results. I remember when everyone got caught up in "Skamania Mania". :)

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”