spring Walleye rig ?

• Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

spring Walleye rig ?

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:27 am

What you guys using for bait when river fishing walleye in the spring? Talk about how you rig your line and what lures or bait you use? Better fishing at night?

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Re: spring Walleye rig ?

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:38 am

A heavy neon pink jig with GOBS of worms on there... no leader, just braided line. In fast water Toss it in the current and let it float down stream. If it’s a slower current I use a slip bobber. Works great in the spring when the water is murky and a lot of current.

As it gets warmer and the water gets clearer towards summer I use a plain hook with enough split shot to keep it under. Worms are KING on the river at least by me!

If I could have only 1 rig to catch any fish in any season it’s a pink jig with as much worm as I can fit on the hook!

I look forward to hearing what everyone else does.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:17 pm

Braid, barrel swivel, flouro leader (lighter poundage than braid cause snapping braid is miserable). And a handful of either yellow, blue, gold, Robin egg, lime green, orange, pink, or lead colored jig. Or really any color. That’s just what color paint I have.

Minnow if the bite is tough. Plastic ringworm otherwise. Crawlers on the wolf starting in a couple weeks.

Lightest jig you can get away with and still control. If I need more than a 3/16 or 1/4 jig on the Wisconsin, I’m in the wrong spot. 1/8 and 1/16oz have caught more walleyes than I’ll ever be able to count.

Or a 3 way with a bead, single hook and minnow if you really want to catch a lot of fish and get rid of minnows.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:29 am

Fox River in Depere, jigs during the day. Have minnows and plastic. Crank baits at night... I'm headed to another river next weekend where thundersticks have been the ticket, but other stick baits like husky jerks work too.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:35 am

I jig tubes in pools. 15lb braid to a 8lb floro leader. Usually in the evening, the hit typically comes on the first hop off the bottom on the drop.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:32 pm

Two Qs, will these work for saugeye hybrids? And anyone have tactics for lake walleye and sauger?
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:50 pm

On the Missouri up near Gavins Point dam I mostly use B fish N tackle pulse-rs and moxies on an underspin jig. Chartreuse with orange core is my favorite. Add a minnow as needed. Thrown on 10 lb Suffix 832 braid. This is actually a subject I can share a little first hand knowledge on!
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:53 am

thepennsylvanian wrote:Two Qs, will these work for saugeye hybrids? And anyone have tactics for lake walleye and sauger?

Pretty much the same tactics. I used to fish saugers on the Mississippi River and used the same stuff I did for walleyes. Only difference is matching the conditions cause they aren’t always in the same areas. But in general whatever I caught walleyes on, I caught saugers on. Generally saugers were in deeper water and more current but not always. So I always bumped up the weight of my jig if needed. Saugers also spawn differently and don’t really run up river like walleyes do. Lots spawn right in the lakes and rivers where they normally live.

Lakes were always transitions and edges. Weed edges, drop offs, rock piles, etc. Rivers is primarily current and then transitions, edges, and structure.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Wolfie417
Facebook: brett wolf

Unread postby Wolfie417 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:07 am

The original floating rapala. I like the firetiger color because of how stained the water is in my hometown. I fish the walleyes similar to how I hunt. I'm look at where everyone else goes, and trying to find the spots the walleyes are using that other people are not.
DEER SLAYER 269

Unread postby DEER SLAYER 269 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:14 am

Night is usually best and we use husky jerks size 12 and the color is clown :!:
BBD BABY !
Acer18
Facebook: Asa Bays

Unread postby Acer18 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:53 pm

Detroit river dark/natural color jigs. Saginaw river when season opens or before close blue glitter and antifreeze. Inland lakes in May through july metallic jerkbaits on the shallow flats 7-14' (this seems to be a secret around our parts?). After July we switch to trolling programs, harnesses or reef runners. Headed to Detroit in a couple weeks :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”