Yes
68%
No
32%

Total votes: 37
bigwoodsmn

Re: Do you eat largemouth bass?

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:17 am

Anyone eat smallies? I ate one last night and thought it was great.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:42 am

Great topic and enjoyed the read. Up until about 15 years ago, I was a die hard bass fisherman. On rare occasion did I eat them. I was caught up in catch and release to protect the bass. My mom always got made at me in high school that I didn't bring fish home to eat unless it was catfish or panfish.

When I moved to Michigan and started chasing smallies on big water, I would keep a couple for shore lunch. Bridge is right about one thing, I am not much of a walleye fisherman.

I prefer to eat smallies over LM, but if I had a lake full of LM I would eat some.

I voted no because as a practice I do not eat them, but I have eaten a couple fish through out the years
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:32 am

I personally do not eat them when I catch them, I fish tournaments and release my fish, I don't have a problem with people who eat them, and if someone else had caught some and cooked it, I would eat it if they offered no problem.

I think length and # limits are put in place to keep a fishery healthy. I am not a fisheries biologist, but I would say if you catch a big largemouth bass, 5+lbs, it would do more for the the bass population to put it back in than to take it out genetically. But what do I know!
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:26 am

My last 8 walleyes totaled >200 inches on Mille Lacs 24s, 25s, 26s, 27s, a 28 ... we can't keep those. I could have kept the 28 but released it. I'll catch keeper walleyes and jumbo perch later July and August when I switch to leadcore trolling with hornets and rapalas. The smallie I ate was an average one - 15" off the St. Croix river. Tasted great... and I'm sure I'll keep some more in that 15" range if I get some. I kept some saugers yesterday which are like walleye in the pan. I let the wife eat those though. :D
hoganator

Unread postby hoganator » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:30 am

I catch LM all the time-used to eat them but lately I haven't. Afer seeing this post I may have to fry some up!

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”