Anybody tournament fish for bass?

• Advertisement

HB Store

basspro05
500 Club

Anybody tournament fish for bass?

Unread postby basspro05 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:04 am

Hunting is my newest passion, have only been at it for a few years and have yet to kill a deer.

Bass fishing on the other hand has been my passion since I was in grade school. When I was in highschool, I worked two part time jobs after school and on weekends so I could afford a boat. I bought a boat and started fishing tournaments.

I fish about 30 tournaments a year, and pretty much keep it on a small scale fishing closer to home and smaller tournaments to save money. My younger brother is my fishing partner, and we have always done really well. The picture below is at our year end championship, it was a two day tournament, we finished in 4th place.

When I am bass fishing, it is extremely important to know exactly what and why the fish are doing what they are doing. There are so many factors that come in to play, and figuring those factors out is what I enjoy the most about it. So when I was first introduced to deer hunting, I enjoyed it, but I was taught to put up a treestand and sit and wait....

I have always wanted to learn the real reasons deer do what they do, and to pattern them just like I pattern the fish I chase, and until I found the BEAST, I was lost.

I figure with this new found knowledge, if I dedicate myself to deer hunting like I do chasing fish, I am going to be one deadly SOB in the woods!

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Anybody tournament fish for bass?

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:37 am

The two are a pretty good comparison. To get on fish you have to go out and find them. Same with buck hunting.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:17 am

My brother and I tournament fish also...or used to a lot. There are many parallels in catching tournament winning fish with hunting mature bucks (based on what I've read, not what I've done). I think your experience fishing will help you in hunting....you basically have the same way of thinking except that it's applied on land versus water. Fishing pressured waters...hunting pressured deer....is similar in many ways....having to do what other fisherman/hunters are NOT doing, deeper water/deeper woods, thick heavy cover in water/thick heavy cover in woods, weather changes and how they impact, food source changes and how they impact, etc.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:11 am

mheichelbech wrote:My brother and I tournament fish also...or used to a lot. There are many parallels in catching tournament winning fish with hunting mature bucks (based on what I've read, not what I've done). I think your experience fishing will help you in hunting....you basically have the same way of thinking except that it's applied on land versus water. Fishing pressured waters...hunting pressured deer....is similar in many ways....having to do what other fisherman/hunters are NOT doing, deeper water/deeper woods, thick heavy cover in water/thick heavy cover in woods, weather changes and how they impact, food source changes and how they impact, etc.

Bingo, and my "home lake" the one I fish at most often is extremely pressured, super tough to catch fish on...so I am used to putting in hard work to make it happen!

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”