Green Bay musky........incredible fish!!

• Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Green Bay musky........incredible fish!!

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:11 am

Thought you musky guys would like this slob. Awesome fish! :shock:

Green Bay Musky Weighs Nearly 50 Pounds

Rob Wischki is adamant when he says “I did not want to keep this fish. I’ve musky fished for a long time and don’t keep muskies, but this one died. It was a possible future 60-plus-pounder, and I’m pretty sick about the end result.”

Wischki, 42, of Sheboygan, Wisconsin, originally didn’t want to talk about the big musky he caught September 7 from Green Bay near Suamico because he didn’t want others to judge him unfairly, but finally decided to discuss it because “it is a great fish, a giant Wisconsin fish, and it deserves its due.”

Wischki’s musky measured 55 3/4 inches, carried a 27 1/2-inch girth, and weighed between 49 pounds 4 ounces and 50 pounds even on three uncertified scales.

Wischki and his friend, Craig Kaiser of Howards Grove, Wisconsin, were casting over eight feet of water in an area loaded with perch and cabbage when the big musky struck about 8 a.m. “It hit on our second drift. I pretty much made a bomb cast and it hit about halfway back. It was a light hit, just a tick, and I set the hook and my rod just doubled and she charged the boat,” Wischki said. “She never broke water and just powered. It was an incredible, 10-minute fight. I’ve never had a musky fight like that before.”

The musky struck a Bulldozer, which Wischki assembled from the blade and body of a Mepps Magnum Musky Killer with a 9-inch Bull Dawg. The bait had a gold blade and a black-and-orange Dawg.

Once Kaiser netted the musky, Wischki said, “we couldn’t see the bait, and it had four inches of the leader in its mouth, too. We had to cut the back hook and both trebles off the Bull Dawg. This fish was not getting off.”

Once the musky was freed of the hooks, Wischki spent the next 40 minutes bent over the side of the boat trying to release it. “I’ve been a member of Muskies, Inc., for a long time and I’ve convinced a lot of fishermen that catch and release is the right thing,” he said. “But this was just one of those deals. She was done.”

Wischki said he will have the musky mounted by Willow Hawk Taxidermy of Hazelhurst, Wisconsin.

dreaming bucks

Re: Green Bay musky........incredible fish!!

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:16 am

Incredible fish!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:17 am

There was another documented 50lber in Musky Hunter Magazine caught in Sept by someone from MN out of Green Bay.... that fish was also kept :cry:

I understand in this case the fish was probably dead... but they can't get to 60lbs if they are killed at 50lbs :whistle:

There was also an estimated 60"+ fish caught at the mouth of the Fox River in early May before season... that was estimated at around 60lbs! :shhh: This fish does not appear to be 60"s to me but that is what was reported

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:38 am

Bucky wrote:There was another documented 50lber in Musky Hunter Magazine caught in Sept by someone from MN out of Green Bay.... that fish was also kept :cry:

I understand in this case the fish was probably dead... but they can't get to 60lbs if they are killed at 50lbs :whistle:

There was also an estimated 60"+ fish caught at the mouth of the Fox River in early May before season... that was estimated at around 60lbs! :shhh: This fish does not appear to be 60"s to me but that is what was reported

A few years ago, I had one follow and hang under the boat that was over 55" while casting the discharge of the Pulliam plant at the mouth. I like to think John Grover's 64" pictured above was that fish. ;)
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:41 am

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:47 am

He caught that fish as they were exiting the River in Spring in masses... late May was on fire for big skis at the mouth
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:52 am

Bucky wrote:He caught that fish as they were exiting the River in Spring in masses... late May was on fire for big skis at the mouth

And that fish is still out there! :shhh:
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:53 am

The Fox river is an incredible musky fishery that is extremely over looked. My biggest fish came out of the fox and I've seen fish in the river that would make you cry. I'm talking about the southern part of the river, I've never fished it around Green bay.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:55 am

There is a world record of every freshwater fish right now in the bay of Green Bay....

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:59 am

I don't muskie fish but I think I had one on when Walleye fishing at the Sauk Dam 2 springs ago, whatever it was hit twice on the same lure and the first time I had a cheap pole and it couldn't maintain tension and it pulled out, the second I had a poor hookset and it made a run for shore and got off (I was wading).

The biggest muskie i ever saw was at Lake Redstone icefishing, Dad and I had 4 holes drilled and all together they were about 4-5 feet spread out. When he said look at that fish I could see the head on my hole on the far right and he hadn't yet seen the tail on the farthest left hole, had to be 50" or more. I hope I never fall in with Wolves like that on the prowl :o
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:19 am

Amazing fish. I know what the guy was worried about, backlash can get pretty rough.

We would catch them all the time ice fishing up to our cabin. Never on purpose but we alwasy seemed to hook at least one every time out.. There is one still swimming out there that rivals Jaws. Never did take it out of the hole but had it up to it. The head completely blocked a 10" hole.... I kid you not. Monster fish.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”