200 lb'r

• Advertisement

HB Store

UntouchableNess
500 Club

200 lb'r

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:34 am

I ran to a local sporting goods store over my lunch hour yesterday to buy some "crank baits". After work, I thought I'd slide down to the pond to check out how the fish were biting. I started out with the Berkley Flicker Shad and was hammering smaller bass, even caught a couple huge bluegill.

I decided to work my way around the pond, changed to a Strike King Bitsy Minnow Baby Bass and tossed it next to one of the "fish structure" trees (second pic) I had dragged onto to the ice last January. The pond went into the winter low from last years drought and has filled nicely with this years monsoons.

The first cast landed perfectly next to the base of the log. I looked down at my spin casting reel and noticed a loop of line over the spool, so I stripped some line off by hand, figured I'd be able to cast further without the loop. I noticed that my line was moving, so started reeling to flip the bail and set the hook. Immediately, the fight was on, good fish. The way it was fighting, figured for sure it was a cat so I wasn't surprised when I finally got it to the bank.

A couple casts around the structure yielded some more small bass. I switched back to the Flicker Shad and headed for deeper water along the face of the dam. About the third cast, I hook a bass, reach for it with my left hand as I swing it up over land. As it goes by my hand, it shakes it's head and drives one of the treble hooks into the back of a finger. :doh: The little bass just hooked a 200 lb sucker. :lol:

The fish calmed down and stopped thrashing, but I'm in kind of a pickle with both of us hooked. I grabbed the hook that was in my finger with the needle nose pliers and gave a tug: didn't budge. Now I'm worried how much longer the fish is going to remain motionless. Luckily, I got the fish unhooked rather easily.

The hook in my finger was driven to the shank, with the barb sticking through the skin. Side cutters to nip the hook off at the base, then pulled the barb out the other way.

I was back down at the pond at 5 am this morning and the fish were biting good. Even caught a few with the two rear hook Flicker Shad. :D The gnats were biting as well. :shock: Even with bug spray on, they were so horrendous it wasn't even fun and I quit after only a half hour. I'm planning on giving it another try tonight with different bug spray.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: 200 lb'r

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:50 am

Ouch! Those gnats probably smelled blood. :o
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:45 am

Not cool, getting hooked.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:49 am

Been there done that hook thing before. Not fun. Actually have done it three times after thinking about it.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:53 am

Great read... I really like the flicker shads for walleye too. Get any pics of the gills, they sounded like dandies!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:56 am

Singing Bridge wrote:Great read... I really like the flicker shads for walleye too. Get any pics of the gills, they sounded like dandies!

Here's a pic of one I caught last weekend on a jig. They are all "twins" so seen one, you've seen 'em all. ;) I didn't bother to take pics of them last night or this morning. Maybe tonight.......
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:29 pm

Ouch!
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:40 pm

Went fishing from 7-8 pm tonight. It was 70° so I was able to wear a hoodie to keep the gnats off the back of my head/neck. I sprayed down my head first, put the hoodie up and sprayed it as well. It worked pretty good until the breeze died. That's when I quit.

I caught a 4 bass with the first 5 casts, then settled into about every third cast. I was using the Berkley Flicker Shad.

I took a picture of every bluegill I caught, except for one that got off the hook before I got it out of the water. Not a bad hour of fishing. :dance:
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:11 am

That does not look like it felt good
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:30 am

Nice gills. You keep any for the pan or put them back?
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:33 am

Uncle Lou wrote:Nice gills. You keep any for the pan or put them back?

Catch and release on the gills, as they are my breeder/feeder fish.

I hope to get the bass and cat population in line so that I can knife some gills, as I love them breaded and fried!

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”